AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking at buying a digital projector in the next few months and all the stores I've found here demo 1 product line. The Runco DLPs. I can't say I'm a rainbow hater, but it is noticeable to me and distracting at times.

I'm interested in seeing a sanyo or sony LCD in action (either the 21xp or plv60, or HT11) to gauge whether I'm more a screen door hater, or a rainbow hater.

So, long and short of it is...anybody know when the next Austin HT group pow-wow is, or anybody in the area interested in having a small get together sometime in the next few months to demo their goods/wares?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

What?! Me worry?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've got a new G15 that I'd probably be willing to show off sometime in the next couple months -- it's still a bit rough at the moment.

I'm currently using a wall (no screen yet), but it is a dedicated room.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Russ,

I had the same problem. I was able to see the Sony 10HT at A&B TV a while back (for list price! I don't think so!). They may have the 11 by now.

I saw the Sanyo PLV-60 in Dallas.

IMO, the Runco's are nice but WAY overpriced. I ended up buying an NEC LT150 (prior to the current Dell madness) and am very satisfied with it. After tweaking, I sincerely believe it has as good a picture or better than the Runco DLPs -- assuming you have a decent scaler for the LT150. I spent several hours watching demo material on the Runco's in various stores. And at $2100 - $2700 for the LT150 (depending on what the price du jour is), it makes the Runco a ripoff.

I can see the rainbow effect, but I can live with it. Its certainly no worse on the LT150 than on the Runcos. Quite possibly a bit better. The only DLP I hear that does not have a rainbow is the new seleco 250 (I think around $10K).

In comparison, I think the Sony and Sanyo are both excellent products -- but neither can touch the black level of the LT150. I also think the pixelation was very visible on both -- even from a reasonable distance -- which made it seem less "film-like" than the DLPs. They still look very good, but I decided I could live with the occasional rainbow more than the screen door.

Dyers Electronics sells 3M data projectors for HT applications, but they don't compare to the Sony/Sanyo.

My HT is not yet ready for prime time (everything is hooked up, but the install is still in progress). When I get it finished, I'd be happy to have a few folks over for a demo. But it'll probably be a few weeks at least.

-Dave

NEC LT150 w/ Dalite High-Power (coming soon)

Denon AVR2800 rec'r

Pinnacle Classic Gold / NHT speakers

JVC XG723 Progressive DVD player

DVDo iScan Plus

DirecTV

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in the Hill Country. Count me in for any get togethers.

There is a pro place out around 183 and MoPac that has PJs. I found it in the phone book, but can't remeber the name now. The Seleco is available at CST on South Lamar. A&B will trade cheap if they know you have another option. Also, the place at the corner of Lamar and 183 has Sharp. I think that is the total scene in Austin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.