AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Small correction to the original post. The room is 16x13 not 16x12. So I'm guessing that I should be able to put up a 120" screen on the wall (where it shows exercise bike in the attached picture)

Going back to the projector discussion. It seems like there isn't a "perfect" projector at least in the price range that I'm looking at (equivalent to 65" OLED). So the compromise would be to either go with a (great 1080p projector or "decent" 4k (pixel shift) projector. From all the reviews that I've read JVC DLAX500R (i think), Epson 5040UB and Optoma UHD65 are the good options but for the price Benq HT2050A seems like a steal.

With that said, since the whole reason to get a projector is to go big and enjoy 4k movies/gaming, I would prefer a 4K projector instead of 1080p but that does not seem to be doable with current projector options......so it's back the drawing board :(
How so? The 4 projectors you listed are all worthy of the upgrade, will support your gaming, and will shoot a beautiful picture. You may have to deal with Faux K, but I honestly don't notice a 2K$ difference in PQ that justifies jumping to native 4k, and also once you step up to 120+ (in) immersion is trumps all IMO (but you'd still have a great picture)

I'm partial to the Epson since I own it, but my neighbor owns the Optoma and it's also a solid unit. Get a projector and don't look back!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My comment was based on the detailed reply from BattleAxeVR, where he pointed out the short comings of all the Faux K projectors. There isn't a single projector (in my budget) that gets everything right. Either it is missing the HDMI bandwidth, brightness or other features.

How so? The 4 projectors you listed are all worthy of the upgrade, will support your gaming, and will shoot a beautiful picture. You may have to deal with Faux K, but I honestly don't notice a 2K$ difference in PQ that justifies jumping to native 4k, and also once you step up to 120+ (in) immersion is trumps all IMO (but you'd still have a great picture)

I'm partial to the Epson since I own it, but my neighbor owns the Optoma and it's also a solid unit. Get a projector and don't look back!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My comment was based on the detailed reply from BattleAxeVR, where he pointed out the short comings of all the Faux K projectors. There isn't a single projector (in my budget) that gets everything right. Either it is missing the HDMI bandwidth, brightness or other features.
Gotcha, still that's going to be the case until you get into the 10k+ projectors.

These are all the things I considered during my search, and my Epson honestly exceeded my expectations, but I'm a projector noob, so take that as you will.

Goodluck with the decision.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gotcha, still that's going to be the case until you get into the 10k+ projectors.

These are all the things I considered during my search, and my Epson honestly exceeded my expectations, but I'm a projector noob, so take that as you will.

Goodluck with the decision.
I'm a projector newbie myself so just doing the research and trying to find the best option for my budget

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just stumbled on this thread, because I'm currently thinking about the same thing. Getting a 4K OLED 65 inch TV, or a 4K projector. I am leaning towards the projector, but reading through this thread - this is the first time I read something about problems with 4K HDR60fps. I'm not an expert, so I'm not really sure I understand this all correctly. Current 4K projectors are able to output 4K HDR 60fps, aren't they?
Personally, I'm playing 99% single player games like Uncharted, God of War and stuff. Super excited about Spiderman this year btw. ;D So I don't think that I will notice it if the input lag is a few ms longer.
Anyway, in terms of projectors I was thinking about taking a look at the upcoming Optoma UHD51 (since it also does 3D, and I do like that feature, even though it is not a priority) or maybe even the upcoming LG Presto, since it has that wonderful LG interface.
However, I know we don't know enough about these projectors yet, so we have to wait and see.
For me, if I go the projector route, I want it to have good blacks and no problems with playing 4K HDR single player games (even if they have 60 fps), but it should not cost more than 2300,- (Euros that is in my case).

Is there any projector out there right now (or about to be released soon) that can do that? I know I can't get the same image quality as an OLED TV, but I just like to have the best gaming and movie experience at an affordable price.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just stumbled on this thread, because I'm currently thinking about the same thing. Getting a 4K OLED 65 inch TV, or a 4K projector. I am leaning towards the projector, but reading through this thread - this is the first time I read something about problems with 4K HDR60fps. I'm not an expert, so I'm not really sure I understand this all correctly. Current 4K projectors are able to output 4K HDR 60fps, aren't they?
Personally, I'm playing 99% single player games like Uncharted, God of War and stuff. Super excited about Spiderman this year btw. ;D So I don't think that I will notice it if the input lag is a few ms longer.
Anyway, in terms of projectors I was thinking about taking a look at the upcoming Optoma UHD51 (since it also does 3D, and I do like that feature, even though it is not a priority) or maybe even the upcoming LG Presto, since it has that wonderful LG interface.
However, I know we don't know enough about these projectors yet, so we have to wait and see.
For me, if I go the projector route, I want it to have good blacks and no problems with playing 4K HDR single player games (even if they have 60 fps), but it should not cost more than 2300,- (Euros that is in my case).

Is there any projector out there right now (or about to be released soon) that can do that? I know I can't get the same image quality as an OLED TV, but I just like to have the best gaming and movie experience at an affordable price.
After spending way too much time on the forums I ended up getting JVC X790R projector instead of the LG OLED TV that I was considering. Like you, I mostly play single games as well but do play BF1 and similar games occasionally.

So far I haven't installed the projector yet but from all the feedback I have read in reviews and forums JVC projectors are the best of the breed right now unless you go really highend native 4K projectors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After spending way too much time on the forums I ended up getting JVC X790R projector instead of the LG OLED TV that I was considering. Like you, I mostly play single games as well but do play BF1 and similar games occasionally.

So far I haven't installed the projector yet but from all the feedback I have read in reviews and forums JVC projectors are the best of the breed right now unless you go really highend native 4K projectors.

The JVC projectors are still too expensive for me. At least in my country the cheapest one I can find is almost 4000 Euro. So I guess I have to rule that out unfortunately. :-/

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The JVC projectors are still too expensive for me. At least in my country the cheapest one I can find is almost 4000 Euro. So I guess I have to rule that out unfortunately. :-/
Yea, they are expensive and that's why I was reluctant about getting one as my first projector but from everything I read about it, it should be good. I rather buy once and use for few years then buy something cheaper and then start looking for an upgrade in few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wish I could do that, but I'd have to save money for another year in order to do that, and I don't think I want to.

Today I was at a home theater shop in my city, they are specialized on projectors and stuff and they told me I should definitely forget the DLP projectors because of the rainbow effect, and they also told me that there is no projector in that price range that can play 4k HDR (PS4) games. He basically said that I can play 4K games but only without HDR or with low fps. To be honest, he said a lot of technical things that I didn't really understand, but even though he showed me a projector (I think it was the Epson 7300) that looked pretty good with movies, I'm a bit turned off by the fact that projectors still seem to be that bad with games. I don't know. He told me I can come with my PS4 and test it, but he actually made me lean towards an OLED TV again. But well, I still have to wait until June anway, since I have to wait to get the money for it and who knows what options there are by then.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

You should look into Epson and Sony, if JVC is too expensive for you. Epson and Sony 4k projectors can be had for a good deal when used. The Epson 5040/6040ub projectors are pretty much the best bang for your buck in the projector realm right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should look into Epson and Sony, if JVC is too expensive for you. Epson and Sony 4k projectors can be had for a good deal when used. The Epson 5040/6040ub projectors are pretty much the best bang for your buck in the projector realm right now.
I looked into it, the eurpean version of the 5040 seems to be the 9300 and that is too expensive if bought new and I can't find a used one right now. The Sony projectors all cost 5000 Euro minimum, although I found an amazing one used for 2600, but this is just slightly over my budged, considering that I have to buy a screen and probably a new couch as well, besides it is being sold now and I won't have the money until June.
And since I won't have the money until June anyway, I should stop thinking about it, because the situation could be different then. I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
After spending way too much time on the forums I ended up getting JVC X790R projector instead of the LG OLED TV that I was considering....
Great choice on the JVC, and you should plug it in and just try it out on a sheet or something. Or upstairs on a lighter colored wall to see how it looks.

It wasn't brought up, but I would not recommend OLED for gaming due to the very real potential for burn-in issues. It's not a big deal for those aware of it in heavily mixed use environments, but for those gaming, who may have a 'display screen' up for hours on end, it will cause issues and it becomes the wrong choice overall.

No doubt that JVC really does have the lock on performance. You pay for it, but it is also worth it to those who have owned them and have seen the competition.

No, there is no version that is priced similarly to the Epson 5040, or any of the entry level DLP models, but with Sony delivering 1080p LCoS for around $1,500, we can remain hopeful that in a few years JVC and Sony will really have it out in the lower priced category with LCoS offerings.

For your room, I would recommend that you pull the lamp down from the center of the room, add dimmers to the lights and zone them (if you can) over the seating areas. All lights on dimmers. Or go to a controllable bulb like the Hue lights. I would add some dark carpet to the space because it is likely to sound very bright in there with the hard carpets and walls. I would paint the back of the doors black to match the room if they aren't painted that color already. As well as any trim pieces if you can. Finally, you have a lot to consider in terms of audio, if you haven't already.

It looks like a really good room for home theater, and you don't have to do any single thing at once to make it work beyond hanging the projector and screen and a couple of speakers, but there is a lot you can do beyond that to make it incredible for the entire experience.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
After spending way too much time on the forums I ended up getting JVC X790R projector instead of the LG OLED TV that I was considering....
Great choice on the JVC, and you should plug it in and just try it out on a sheet or something. Or upstairs on a lighter colored wall to see how it looks.

It wasn't brought up, but I would not recommend OLED for gaming due to the very real potential for burn-in issues. It's not a big deal for those aware of it in heavily mixed use environments, but for those gaming, who may have a 'display screen' up for hours on end, it will cause issues and it becomes the wrong choice overall.

No doubt that JVC really does have the lock on performance. You pay for it, but it is also worth it to those who have owned them and have seen the competition.

No, there is no version that is priced similarly to the Epson 5040, or any of the entry level DLP models, but with Sony delivering 1080p LCoS for around $1,500, we can remain hopeful that in a few years JVC and Sony will really have it out in the lower priced category with LCoS offerings.

For your room, I would recommend that you pull the lamp down from the center of the room, add dimmers to the lights and zone them (if you can) over the seating areas. All lights on dimmers. Or go to a controllable bulb like the Hue lights. I would add some dark carpet to the space because it is likely to sound very bright in there with the hard carpets and walls. I would paint the back of the doors black to match the room if they aren't painted that color already. As well as any trim pieces if you can. Finally, you have a lot to consider in terms of audio, if you haven't already.

It looks like a really good room for home theater, and you don't have to do any single thing at once to make it work beyond hanging the projector and screen and a couple of speakers, but there is a lot you can do beyond that to make it incredible for the entire experience.
I've seen many JVC and Sony projectors over the years, and I guess I just don't see this huge difference many seem to think there is between these two brands and the higher end Epson models. I know, many will think I'm nuts, but I really just don't see it. 😛

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you for some excellent advise. I have read about the burnin issues with the OLED but my brother and cousin have been using them for few months for games but no issue so far. With that said, who knows that will happen in future.

I mounted the projector and screen today and it looks AMAZING!!. Haven't done any calibration but out of the box colors are awesome (though a little on the dark side).

As for audio, I already bought the speakers. I went with Def Tech 9060s for the fronts and center. Will use some older speaker for surround right now but plan to replace them with SR9040. No subwoofer for now but planning on getting HSU Mk VTF-3 MK5 in future.

As for the lights, I will be replacing them with dimmable LEDs. Though I like your idea of doing zone better. Do you know how that can be done? I also put a large carpet in the room already.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This forum is very oriented towards JVC really. In Europe the Sonys are way more popular. They're both awesome though, but I do feel Sony has the edge in picture quality. The sharp 4k content is hard to beat especially in games which make use of the 4k resolution far more than movies. For me, the jump between JVC and Sony in terms of sharp clear content is pretty big. Also, Sonys upscaler tech is VERY GOOD, not to mention the best motion.

Also, if you live in Europe. You can have great deals buying, don't concentrate on the numbers on the webpage, just give a call. I think one of the reasons why they're not so popular in the US is pricing policy.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
This forum is very oriented towards JVC really. In Europe the Sonys are way more popular. They're both awesome though, but I do feel Sony has the edge in picture quality. The sharp 4k content is hard to beat especially in games which make use of the 4k resolution far more than movies. For me, the jump between JVC and Sony in terms of sharp clear content is pretty big. Also, Sonys upscaler tech is VERY GOOD, not to mention the best motion.

Also, if you live in Europe. You can have great deals buying, don't concentrate on the numbers on the webpage, just give a call. I think one of the reasons why they're not so popular in the US is pricing policy.
I concur. JVC only wins when it comes to absolute black levels. Sony usually wins when it comes to upscaling, shadow detail, motion handling, and color accuracy. I've owned both Sony and JVC. And I can firmly say I prefer the overall image quality of Sony.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
I'm trying to put together a setup for a home that I'll be moving into soon. The room that I plan on using is 16x12 and it is already painted matte black (wall and ceilings). My plan was to get 65" 4K LG OLED TV but looking at the seating position, I think it might be small for the room so I'm thinking about going the projector route. My main usage will be gaming and about 25% movie watching. Primary sources will be Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and nVidia shield.

My questions are below:
- Are projectors okay for gaming? In the past, I always thought that extended gaming will cause the bulb to lose life quicker.
Depends on whether you're actually serious about gaming if at all. The problem with projectors is that they weren't developed for gaming at all (requires high resolution, super low input lag, fast screen etc), it was all about movies from the beginning (which doesn't care so much about input lag with 160ms being an acceptable level). This is the reason why real gamers only use gaming monitors because that's why they're designed for, and they're expensive (Acer just released a 4K 144Hz G-Sync monitor for $2000).

It's kind of like taking a sports car off road...it could be done but it certainly isn't designed for that purpose and will never be as good as a real off-roader. That's gaming projectors in a nutshell. Projectors can be used for many things but won't be great at it, but most people have different tolerance level and are willing to accept the lesser quality level for true gaming for the larger screen size.

- What is a good projector for such purposes? From my research it looks like there aren't many native 4K projectors available and the ones that are available are very expensive. I am highly intrigued by Short Throw Laser projectors and Dell S718QL looks like a winner but out of my price range. I would like to stay under $2500.
The reason why people go for 4K is that the picture quality is so much better than 1080p. You simply see details that you would not see in 1080p. Instead of soft edges you see sharper ones. Instead of looking at a hunk of pixels moving around you actually see the real thing with their shadows, creases and wrinkles in full details. Gamers who have been using 4K resolutions since 2012 appreciate this fact, and most won't go back to 1080p. Screen size have evolved from 4:3 to 16:9 to 21:9, but few have gone beyond 40" simply because they feel that they will lose the details that they would enjoy on a typical gaming screen. Projectors would naturally make that worst (think pixels per inch) since they will always be projecting a bigger screen. That said, if you're willing to compromise (in this case, tremendously) then there are options out there as long as the input lag is under 50 or 60ms.

Personally, I don't want to sit so far away from the screen and playing in a completely dark room wreaks my eyes. I would go for the biggest OLED/LED TV I can afford if I had to go this route. They're better for movies during anytime-viewing by a long shot as well.

But if you got the JVC, that's not a bad choice for watching movies :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I concur. JVC only wins when it comes to absolute black levels. Sony usually wins when it comes to upscaling, shadow detail, motion handling, and color accuracy. I've owned both Sony and JVC. And I can firmly say I prefer the overall image quality of Sony.
Which Sony model are you currently looking? When I was looking for projector almost everyone pushed me towards a JVC and that's why I ended up with X790r, which is excellent projector but I usually prefer Sony electronics.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Which Sony model are you currently looking? When I was looking for projector almost everyone pushed me towards a JVC and that's why I ended up with X790r, which is excellent projector but I usually prefer Sony electronics.
11 years ago, I had a Sony Pearl LCoS on order. I wasn't happy, because I had a previous bad experience with Sony reliability and (lack of) warranty support and I had been very happy with my JVC G10 but wanted 1080P and JVC wasn't out yet. I then went to a dealer's special event that was supposed to showcase the Pearl against several others, not including any JVC. The Sony looked the WORST of the three, which included a Sharp LCD and a Runco DLP. Sony was using a $5000 projector to "learn" at their customers' expense.

I cancelled the Sony and waited until the JVC RS1 came out. That RS1 lasted me 7 years and had a black floor that laughed at the Sony Pearl. Since then I have read many horror stories about Sony panel degradation and Sony's denial of any problem and (contradictory) assurances that newer projectors wouldn't suffer from it. That tells me that Sony is still not up to snuff and I can't believe people who do any amount of research would ever buy one.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Had a Sony 365ES which I recently owned then flipped and sold for a small profit. I also had a JVC X 550R and a RS520. I will concede that JVC projectors are the best hands down for movie watching only.

However their upscaling when watching DirecTV content is not as good as Sony. Also my JVC projectors needed professional calibration. My Sony projectors were 90% calibrated out of the box. I can't defend Sony for the panel degradation issue. That is a shame especially when it comes to their high end projectors where they're asking for used car prices.

If JVC we're not ripping people off on bulb prices I would just grin and bear it's disadvantages and stick with JVC. However I'm a daily user and $500 per bulb is not going to cut it with me. I have the money but I refuse to let anybody rape me on a periodic basis for a $20 bulb.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts