Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm in the planning stage of room design for a HT and am looking to buy a projector (when the project is finished) probably in about 12 months or so. It seems that 1080p RPTVs are starting to come out and it is probably just a matter of time before front projection models follow at a decent price point. My question is, how likely do you think it is for us to have a front projection LCD that has 1080p inputs within the next 12-16 months that is under $4K USD?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would look for 1080p LCD to be in the 8-10K range in 12-16 months. I see 2.5-5K 1080p LCD to hit the market in about 2.5 years or so. This of course is purely personal speculation based on past market tendencies with previous technologies (720p, different panel technologies, etc). For reference purposes, Sony's Qualia is 1080p and runs around $23K :eek: . It's expensive but beautiful.

If you're stuck at that price point, you may want to consider getting a D5 panel-based LCD set to come out later this Fall (Sanyo z4, etc). They should be well within your price range. I just picked up a Z3 less than a week ago (my budget was ~1500) and am EXTREMELY pleased with the PQ right out of the box. I expect a good 3-4 years of service from it and will then mostly likely upgrade to 1080p, when more 1080p content is available (none right now that I know of).

Also look into Benq's line of DLP's. They were a bit out of my price range (7700), but the one I saw a demo on was really good looking. The blacks were noticably blacker than mine even without side by side comps, but then again I would say I got much more bang for my buck. Just me.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You are talking about 1080p outputs. There are already a couple PJs that will accept 1080p inputs and convert them to their native output. Just check the specs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.