AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i just purchased the panasonic pt-ae4000u from projectorpeople. they have a 3 year extended warranty for $239. i had no idea AVS had access to seperate 3'rd party warranties and found out through another poster's link.

i'm trying to get an idea anyone's opinion whether i should stick with the warranty through PP or try something esle, and perhaps you all can provide links. the one i saw linked would afford me this:

OPTION #6 - TV Invoice price under $2100, plus bulb/lamp warranty. This combo package covers the TV itself for an additional 3 YEARS after the manufacturer's warranty, as well as the bulb for 3 years. The bulb/lamp will be replaced up to 2 times in those 3 years. The pricetag on this combo is $252.00.

this would fetch me a lamp or two and for the panny 4000 the bulbs retail for $400 each. this would seem to make sense to go with the AVS route. anyone please offer me some advice as i'm new to all this projector business.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I wasn't even aware of these but I would go with the AVS party just becasue if

they don't hold up and service slips some they would be flamed on this HUGE forum and that's not good for business . I don't think they would want that .

Projector people..ah..internet sites come and go and AVS will be around a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizill /forum/post/18137381

hello all. i just purchased the panasonic pt-ae4000u from projectorpeople. they have a 3 year extended warranty for $239. i had no idea AVS had access to seperate 3'rd party warranties and found out through another poster's link.

i'm trying to get an idea anyone's opinion whether i should stick with the warranty through PP or try something esle, and perhaps you all can provide links. the one i saw linked would afford me this:

OPTION #6 - TV Invoice price under $2100, plus bulb/lamp warranty. This combo package covers the TV itself for an additional 3 YEARS after the manufacturer's warranty, as well as the bulb for 3 years. The bulb/lamp will be replaced up to 2 times in those 3 years. The pricetag on this combo is $252.00.

this would fetch me a lamp or two and for the panny 4000 the bulbs retail for $400 each. this would seem to make sense to go with the AVS route. anyone please offer me some advice as i'm new to all this projector business.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there more than one warranty company? i was reading about "mack" at some point and tonight i saw this linked: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=11227

is this a good deal? is it a standalone company with its own website or how does this work?

nevermind, the post links to its own website and they are mack. DUH.

anyway, is this mack warranty good stuff? i thought a few weeks ago before i needed this someone was complaining about this contract?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Remember that stastically extended warranties are NOT a cost effective purchase and the great majority of those that buy them never use them.

If we had bought an extended warranty for our PJ it would have been worthless as it would have expired without our ever using it.

In fairness I have to admit that the extended warranty we bought for our hi-tech fridge paid off as we had three failures that would have cost us more than the warranty - but not a lot more.

If the peace of mind is worth it to you then it would be worth it even if you, as most people, never use it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perhaps because this is my first projector, i am more paranoid than usual. i got the extended warranty with my rptv and it's still going on 6+ years strong and nary had to use it.

but for only $260, the one linked in the panny 4000 thread supposedly covers a bulb or two, which for the panny, is approximately $800 retail at this time.

am i missing something here? are the mack warranties any good? i could swear i read some posts of many complaining, but i'm not sure. i've done so much research both here at avs as well as elsewhere online that i'd rather just come back to my own thread here and ask for real-world experiences and educated opinions, of which i thank you for yours.

everyone, please chime in. this means alot to me. thanks again!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and more specifically, this warranty here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=11227 and their website: http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warra...tor_combo.html

i'll have to email them whether or not the bulb actually has to malfunction to be covered under warranty or if it can be warranteed when it hits its mid-life.

anyway, i understand MACK has been around for 70 years, but texas tape works? any help appreciated. thanks all.

p.s. if you're afraid to publically speak negatively on their behalf and possibly defame them, i am willing to hear your opinions via private message. hopefully there are nothing but great reviews. thanks.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
When I bought my HD1000 in Jan. 2007 from Projector People, I bought an extra 2 year warranty thru them(Warrantech). Warrantech recently decided to refund my purchase price "in full" instead of repairing the HD1000. So obviously I'm happy I bought the extra 2 years. I bought the new Benq W1000 and the extra 2 year warranty again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In case you have not received a reply yet regarding the bulb issue with Mack...the bulb has to be "dead" to get a replacement with Mack. Mack has always stood by their product and taken care of their customers. You can send me a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.