AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100" Stewart and my HX2U is 15' away from it (within the "good" distance). I noticed last night that my installer sized the picture such that there is "slop" over the felt part of the screen. The image doesn't fit directly onto the screen, instead if I look closely, it's about a half inch slop on all sides, but 1 full inch on the left side.

Is this usual? I imagine there is some degree of slop, but I'm wondering what's "normal."

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Some installers like to use the masked screens to capture the overscanned portion of the picture. Any TV you have ever had did that anyways - so you are not losing any intended picture. I don't think that movie screens should be considered as TV's - and I will spend hours working out the calculation and doing the install. But the reality is - even the most expensive houses are not plumb - despite the best planning - you end up using the masked border to slop up the edges. I would rather do that than use digital keystoning.

If you are curious and want to see how hard it is to hit 100" from 15' away - apply some slight thumb pressure to your installed projector - and watch it go way over the border.

Why? Trigonometry warning!

arctan (1"/15') = 0.32 degrees!!!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
heh, i just mounted a screen and I have about 2 pixel rows all around off the screen onto the border. apprently thats standard... yay, i did it right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.