Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...

Any suggestions on good shops to look for a projector in the above area? I'll be coming over from Australia for work this week, and was thinking about buying a PJ over there. I'll actually be in Soquel, down near Santa Cruz, but I suppose I'll have better luck in a big city.

Also, anyone have any experience with international projector buying? Do they typically have switching power supplies, from 110 to 240 volts? How about warranties?

And while I'm asking heaps of annoying questions http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif , anyone have any suggestions for a projector in a squash court for HT - the LT150 sounds great, but my throw distance is a minimum of 10m (33 foot from memory( - so I figure the NEC will be a bit too wide angle to fit the image on the front wall.

Cheers,

Danny

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I bought my projector last year, I could not find anything in the bay area. I had to fly to Denver "The Big Picture". To see the D-ILA G15. That is what I bought. Lot's of CRT and Runco DLP demos. I wouldn't wast my time on the Runco.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was quite impressed with SanFrancisco Stereo. They have a store in SanFrancisco, and Berkeley. The Berkeley store is newly renovated, and is quite attractive, and the people are very knowledgeable. Check them out on their website

"sfstereo.com. My presentation from Keith Humphreys was great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Danny,

Home Theater Connection in Scotts Valley has a Runco on Display as well as various Pioneer RPTV. Water St. Stereo off of 41st Ave. in Capitola also has Sharps on display the last time I checked. I will compile a list of various shops in San Jose and Sunnyvale. I will post the info later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! From memory, Water St is pretty much walking distance from the office - I'll definitely pay them a visit.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There's a place on Bascom in San Jose that sold G15s and 10HTs about a year ago. They're probably in the yellow pages.

Chi

·
Registered
105 Posts
Piney,

This is interesting. Do you remember the dealer's name? Did you see any other shops selling 11ht, 10ht or 60ht? Thanks.

Adalberto,

Do you have the list done and let's share it? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Some suggestions for South San Jose and Monterey:

Laserland on De Anza in San Jose: Sharp 9000z (good store, call in advance for best treatment)

Century Stereo in Saratoga: Runco, Marantz, Sony 10HT (very haughty store)

Paradise Video (same shopping center as Century Stereo) in Saratoga: Seleco and DreamVision (very good store)

Home Theatre Xcellence (Monterey, Sat afternoon only): Seleco, DreamVision (excellent, owner is named Ron, very knowledgable and helpful)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by piney
There's a place on Bascom in San Jose that sold G15s and 10HTs about a year ago. They're probably in the yellow pages.

Chi
I believe this is Golden Pacific Systems at 2350 S. Bascom Ave.

I went there for a demo of the Sony about 18 months ago. It's a strange place. They sell all sorts of things, like central vacuuming systems, in addition to projectors. Their prices were just about full retail.

- Chris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most of the projectors, if not all come with 110/240 switching power supplies. Tho some projectors have problem with handling some of the PAL images. As far as I know some manufacturers like NEC extend the warranties internationally on their products, like laptops. Check with Australian subsidiaries if they will honor warranty on projectors.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A couple of doors down from Golden Pacific there is a store, I think it is called Presentation Systems. They have a lot of the lower end data projectors, including the Plus branded LT150z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.