AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had made my mind up on the HS10. But, now I am thinking of spending a little more. I'm looking at spending less than $4k for the projector.

If you were in my shoes, what projectors would you be considering as a step above the HS10?

Yamaha LP-500, Epson TW100H are both priced above the HS10. What features would they have above the HS10 that would make them worthy of another $1K?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't forget the NEC HT1000. I believe it can be had for slightly under $4K now.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I did some side-by-side comparisons. See this post . I also second the suggestion of the HT1000, if you are comfortable with DLP. The blacks and shadow details are superior in DLP.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are reports from people in Europe that the Sony VPL-VW12HT has dropped in price significantly in Europe. If we see a commensurate price decline here in the States then it would be in your price range.

The LX500/TW100H have MLA and better brightness and contrast, but no HDCP on their DVI.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are reports from people in Europe that the Sony VPL-VW12HT has dropped in price significantly in Europe. If we see a commensurate price decline here in the States then it would be in your price range.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
As far as I know, the LPX-500/TW100H do not have MLA (micro-lens array) on their LCD panels. The VW12HT does have it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
As far as I know, the LPX-500/TW100H do not have MLA (micro-lens array) on their LCD panels. The VW12HT does have it.
Unfortunately the VW12HT does not have DVI. I am going to be running the projector from my PC. DVI is one of my main requirements.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
Projector Central says the updated Epson TW100 is better than the HS10 in almost every aspect, other than the 1368 vx 1280 resolution.
David,

Do you have a link. I have read projector central, but I didn't see a direct comparison between the HS10 and TW100.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sushi,

Thanks. I'll have to re-read that tomorrow.

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found a technical reference to Epson Dream III LCD panels which I believe they have used in the upgraded TW100H and they do refer to the use of MLAs on these LCDs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aaroen
I found a technical reference to Epson Dream III LCD panels which I believe they have used in the upgraded TW100H and they do refer to the use of MLAs on these LCDs.
aaroen:

Can you point us to a URL or something for this technical reference? I'd be curious to see the details for myself. Thanks.

James

·
Registered
143 Posts
This was the site that refered to the Dream III LCD panels. The Epson TW100H uses the .9 wxga panel refered to at the end of the article. I am still trying to find the other site that referenced Epson EMP-TW100 using these LCD panels. The panels have increased contrast and use microlens arrays. Here is the web site:

www.insightmedia.info/news/ epsonto%20producehtpspanel.htm

·
Registered
294 Posts
Apart from lack of DVI/HDCP, the other problem with the 12HT is the cost of the bulbs (something like £450 over here). Also there's no power zoom/focus, which the HS10 does have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.