Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased my BenQ6100 a while back and so I haven't been keeping as close an eye on projectors recently. My father in law wants to do a FP in his new "play room" and he needs a projector with a front or side exhaust because the projector will be up against the back wall.

Any recommendations for sub $1000, up to $1500 projectors that can be shelf mounted? DLP or LCD doesn't matter, neither do inputs as he'll use it strictly for DVD's via component. I was thinking the 4805 but I'm not sure what these projectors are streeting for.

I'll start reading up again but wanted to have a feel for good projectors before I started a FP quest again :) Also, timing isn't a big issue, so if there is a good unit coming out soon he'd be willing to wait for it.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that there are a bunch of good projectors in the $1500 price range, but it seems to be pretty tough to find out which have front/side exhaust. I did get a PM mentioning the Panny 700 but it's a bit outside of his price range. I know the Z2, X1, 4805 and Optoma H30 are all good machines, but I'm having a hard time finding out where they exhaust???

Thanks for any help,

Russell

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My Z2 is a side exhaust.

The new ae700 looks like just what you need. Front exhaust (angled 45 degrees away from lens) with a 2x zoom on the lens. It's built to be mounted on a shelf in the back of the room.

It's gonna cost more than 1500 though.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave!

Z2 is side exhaust. Cool. It looks like the 4805 is side exhaust as well so that is another option.

Keep em coming :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The other issue with shelf mounting besides exhaust is the throw and location. Alot of the cheap projectors are short throw, so you have to table mount or ceiling mount them.

The AE700 is designed for shelf mount as it's very flexible in throw (2x zoom), lens shift and front venting.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Markus,

I'll take a look at the Epson, I've never read much about it.

Jpinto,

The room is 18' long so the throw isn't a problem. The 4805 for example will throw a 93-112" wide image from 16.5' which would be great. They will be sitting about 14' from the screen so an 8' screen would be great.

Bruin,

The 4805 manual says to maintain 6" of clearance behind the unit. Does it actually need more? Right now I'm looking hard at the 4805 as it would be perfect for him if it works shelf mounted.

Thanks for the info so far!

Russell

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Markus,

Thanks for the links. That product does look very good. The only thing that concerns me is the low contrast ratio compared to the 4805. My father in laws budget is a max of $1500 so the price difference isn't really a factor. The contrast ratio of 800 is quite a bit lower than the 2000 of the 4805.

He isn't bothered by rainbows either so that's not a problem. I like the Epson, but I think the 4805 is a better fit for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.