AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've completed most of the build for my 1st HPTC and will be shortly getting into the OS & SW loading phase. After that, of course, will be the configuring, controlling, and tweaking phase.

I have the Marantz RC5000i (same as Pronto TSU2000) and would like to control the HTPC with it. I have already picked up the Airboard SK-7100 wireless IR keyboard/mouse combo.

Will the IR receiver that comes with it work to recieve the IR signal from the remote? Or will I need to use another receiver?

Also, I assume that using Girder will greatly reduce the need for reinventing the wheel in launching SW, etc.

TIA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The airboard receiver will only act upon the IR signal's it expects to receive from the keyboard. For example, the airboard receiver will not accept and act upon the IR signals from another remote control. Your pronto, however, can learn the airboard signals (or you can download ccfs from remotecentral.com that already have all the airboard keys mapped), and the airboard receiver will happily accept the signals from your pronto. You can also set up girder to respond to keyboard events, so girder should work fine with your setup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had looked at remotecentral.com, but didn't find the ccf; however, I just did a search and found it. Thanks.

So it is sorta as I suspected, the Airboard receiver won't work. But if I teach Girder keyboard shortcuts, it will (after having taught the remote the Airboard's codes.) Right? Cool.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jagerball, be careful with only keyboard shortcuts. If you have Girder intercept keys for applications, you may have a problem when you want to use a real keyboard to administer the HTPC. I would recommend a UIRT/USB or IRMAN.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just decided to go ahead and buy the USB-UIRT. I'd been on the fence and didn't want to have to buy one if I didn't need it, but looks like it will save trouble.

Has anyone put one behind the IR window in a Digitalis Nexus? I assume it will work fine, but may cut down effective distance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the IRman, it is a OK product, works great with girder. I have a airboard as well, that I use concurrently with the IRMAN. Soon going to have both in my shiney new A-tech fabrication case!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I have been using a Marantz RC9200 (before Pronto TSU200) with an Airboard receiver for a couple of months with great success. For me there is no need for a separate IR receiver. The only thing I did was to hook up a 2nd IR diode (Radio Shack for $5) in parallel to the one of the Airboard receiver. This diode now sits next to the VFD in my DIGN4 case. This allows me to get "360degree coverage" of the IR signal..

_____

Axel

·
Registered
766 Posts
Axel, In my occupation, VFD refers to a variable frequency drive unit. What does it refer to in computer speak? Your $5 RS solution sounds great.

edit - I see where Axel has already answered this question in another post. Thanks Axel. [I'd like to use my pronto to learn the airboard commands to run Theater Tek. Do I understand correctly that this can be done?]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=305151

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Axel, In my occupation, VFD refers to a variable frequency drive unit. What does it refer to in computer speak? Your $5 RS solution sounds great.

edit - I see where Axel has already answered this question in another post. Thanks Axel. [I'd like to use my pronto to learn the airboard commands to run Theater Tek. Do I understand correctly that this can be done?]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=305151

VFD are Vacuum Florescent Displays. However, they have nothing to do with IR. I only use a case which such a display. Right adjacent I found some space to accommodate a simple RadioShack IR Receiver Module ...(Catalog #: 276-640). Price is actually only $3.69....

______

Axel

·
Registered
766 Posts
Way cool idea, but my Airboard receiver plugs into the serial port of my HTPC. How did you attach this little gem in parallel with the Airboard receiver?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Way cool idea, but my Airboard receiver plugs into the serial port of my HTPC. How did you attach this little gem in parallel with the Airboard receiver?
I simply soldered this module in parallel (with a 4ft cable in between) to the module that is INSIDE the Airboard receiver: pin1 to pin1, pin2 to pin2....

PS: it has nothing to do how the Airboard receiver it connected to the PC... (Mine is connected into the serial port as well...)

_____

Axel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.