AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Toshiba 120 hz tv that judders horribly when watching Blu-Rays in 1080p. I have read several other reviews of sets that also claim that properly displaying 1080p or specifically 1080p/24 material is a problem. Can anyone explain this and perhaps list a few good choices in LCD/LED flat panels that do not have this problem? Also would more recent movies such as Thor not technically be in 1080p/24 since they were not originally shot on film? Movies such as this would be shot in HD video so at 1080p/60 fps is that correct? Thank you for your patience with my newbie questions.

·
Registered
16,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyvick /forum/post/20956295

I currently have a Toshiba 120 hz tv that judders horribly when watching Blu-Rays in 1080p. I have read several other reviews of sets that also claim that properly displaying 1080p or specifically 1080p/24 material is a problem. Can anyone explain this and perhaps list a few good choices in LCD/LED flat panels that do not have this problem? Also would more recent movies such as Thor not technically be in 1080p/24 since they were not originally shot on film? Movies such as this would be shot in HD video so at 1080p/60 fps is that correct? Thank you for your patience with my newbie questions.

It could be the fact that the panel refresh rate is not quite in sync with the frame rate of either 24fps or some 60fps sources. They are not the same thing but do have to work together, especially on 120Hz sets. There has been considerable discussion on this very subject over in another thread and this is one of the more plausible explanations. Is it possible to try another BD player to check?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! Can you link me to the other thread you mentioned so I can educate myself a little more?

·
Registered
16,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyvick /forum/post/20956728

Thank you for the reply! Can you link me to the other thread you mentioned so I can educate myself a little more?

It's about 12 threads down. The LDxx450 LDxx520 LDxx650 thread. The thread is a very long one with lots of discussions on various topics related to the 3 models of LGs. This particular subject came up recently again when someone was having similar studdering/jittery problems when playing Blu-rays via PS3.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned my PS3's 1080P/24fps output mode to off and that seems to have helped matters somewhat. That might be a good starting point for people experiencing these issues. Certain tvs just can't handle the 24 fps conversion properly if there is some slight sync problem between the frame rate and the refresh rate it seems.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyvick; /forum/post/0

I turned my PS3's 1080P/24fps output mode to off and that seems to have helped matters somewhat. That might be a good starting point for people experiencing these issues. Certain tvs just can't handle the 24 fps conversion properly if there is some slight sync problem between the frame rate and the refresh rate it seems.

So that means that you no longer have 1080p24?

My 2008 100Hz Sony LCd can display 1080p24 proper (But i have to set Cinemotion to auto1/auto2).

I would check out your models owner thread or look on the internet for proper settings first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts