AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I have a dilema here. I bought a new Townhouse and it is currently being built. Really nice place but living room leaves a bit to be desired atleast from a home theatre standpoint. So I was wondering if some more skilled guru's could give me suggestions on where to place the speakers. I included a pic of the floorplan for reference, it's approximately 20'x20'. Fireplace is marked in corner and TV is designed to sit above it. Although I could hang it on the wall I would prefer to utilized the above fireplace location. Any suggestions appreciated!

Basic system information for size reference:

50in Plasma

Mains: Energy RC-10

Center: Energy LCR

Surrounds: Energy Mini's

Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT-10

·
Registered
505 Posts
There really aren't many suggestions to make. It looks like the best spot for your TV is above the fireplace. Try to get your r/l speakers as far apart as possible. If possible, put your center below your TV and aim it at your listening position. And mount your surrounds as best you can per Dolby's 5.1 layout. However it looks like the best you can do for your surrounds is place one near the corner across from your kitchen and the other near the corner of the dining area. Mount them about 7 ft. high and aim them at your listening position. Not much else you can do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay here is another picture dictating what I have come up with. Sorry for my terrible MS paint skills. Couple concerns I have are:

-Could having my mains further forward than my center cause issues. That is really the only way to space them out 8-10ft apart.

-Would where I have my surround cause issues being so far apart and not equally behind the listening position. Do you think Audyssey on the Denon can work with this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have the speakers so I want to work with those. I will be staying 5.1 for various reasons and costs. Not looking for the "perfect" setup but as ideal as possible for what I have to work with.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As we do not have an elevation drawing, budget, tv size or other info, here is what I would recommend to one of our clients:

1. Wall mount 50" to 52" to above the fireplace with a tilting bracket.

2. Wall mount Triad OnWall Mini LCR3.0 below the tv.

3. If you can fish wire from equipment location to cieling, place Triad InCeiling Omniround 6 speakers in ceiling placed behind seating location.

4. Place equipment in a low cabinet or credenza placed to the right of the fireplace along the wall. The fireplace gives a good hollow area for wiring to and from tv and speakers. Some drywall patching will probably come into play but this is fairly cheap to do or hire someone to do for you.

5. Get a RF based programmable remote for operation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor /forum/post/17040027

As we do not have an elevation drawing, budget, tv size or other info, here is what I would recommend to one of our clients:
1. Wall mount 50" to 52" to above the fireplace with a tilting bracket.

TV is a 50in Panasonic Plasma, I also have a tilting mount for it.
2. Wall mount Triad OnWall Mini LCR3.0 below the tv.

My center is a Energy LCR which is 7.5" x 10.25" x 19.5" I want to keep this center as I really like it.
3. If you can fish wire from equipment location to cieling, place Triad InCeiling Omniround 6 speakers in ceiling placed behind seating location.

I already have Energy RC-mini's for surrounds. Just small bookshelfs. The house is being built so I may be able to get wires ran before drywall gets placed.
4. Place equipment in a low cabinet or credenza placed to the right of the fireplace along the wall. The fireplace gives a good hollow area for wiring to and from tv and speakers. Some drywall patching will probably come into play but this is fairly cheap to do or hire someone to do for you.

That is a good idea for wiring. I want to get a small entertainment rack for my amps/receivers/BD player. Do you feel what I have outlined above for speaker location is ideal? My speaker specifications are in the first post. I appreciate your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see the list of gear you have.

How are you planning on mounting the center channel? or for that matter the RC-10's? the layout is pretty good, but the fronts really need to be facing the listening area, on the same plane and axis as the center. And the rears should be further behind you.

If it's being built, run as many lines as you may think you need for now and in the future. Ceilings, LCR, onwalls etc.

Remember, wire is cheap and doing a retro after it's built is expensive.

I said before that you have a tough layout, and I gave you my recommendations. Trying to shoehorn your speakers into a space or area that doesn't fit or makes sense, is contrary to what you requested.

But since you asked, I would ditch the fireplace if you really need to have a place for better sound or a better surround system setup. This would open up some more options for placement.

And I still think you should replace the mini's with in-ceiling speakers for your surrounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts