AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but did not find.

Anyone have an tips for cleaning a CRT RPTV properly? I'm talking about the screen, mirror, and guns. What cleaner is good to use? What parts of the guns need cleaning? Just the tops of the lenses or go deeper?

Figured we needed a thread like this.

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! I am elbow deep into cleaning my optics now using a microfiber cloth and eyeglass cleaner. Seem to be working really well and it's not leaving any residue or streaks.

Now, one more question. When I was doing some basic convergence adjustments (which I'll have to do again after pulling the optics, I know, I was just playing around with it) I noticed that I could barely see the blue when I shut the other two guns off. The grid was only visible in the very middle and it was very hazy. I found out why: the coolant is all cloudy and yucky looking. I pulled the lens on the blue and inspected the coolant cover and found the grossness. Not sure how to pull the coolant housing, reservoir, box, jub, thing yet (and the service manual gives no break down on it so I'll have to wing it), but once I do, what coolant do I use? Is it a special solution or can distilled water do? EDIT: Discovered I have to pull the whole gun and found how to do that.

Here's the green gun's fluid (nice and clear):

And here's the blue:

YUCK!

Thanks Hammerdwn for that link! I hope it proves useful for others as well as it did me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some reading, I stumbled across a very useful thread here that described in detail how to clean the fluid chambers and replace the fluid.

All I need to know now is where to get the fluid. The green still looks as good as the red. Should I change it anyway or wait?

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mkay, I order 3 16oz bottles from www.mcmelectronics.com . Cost about 8 bucks a bottle. Not bad I suppose.

I'll try to post pics of my coolant change to try to help others who need to do the same thing.

Is it possible to leave the entire CRT gun intact, circuit board and all, while doing the fluid change? Maybe wrap the whole thing in a towel to prevent damage from any dripage? I'm a little weary taking the gun apart. I am going to remove each one from the set though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know about removal or even if its necessary,though it probably is for getting all the fluid out. I think that you are doing the right thing by checking/researching for all the info you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, man.

It seems like it would be pretty impossible in this set to change the fluid without removing the guns. It does seem really easy to remove them though. I was just wondering if I actually have to pull apart the CRT itself or if I can leave the whole gun from lens to CRT board intact and change the fluid if I do it really carefully or maybe even wrap the whole gun in an old towel to prevent dripage.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I can confirm now, you CAN change the fluid without disassembling the gun itself. I'm almost done with the blue gun's fluid change and the entire gun, circuit board and all is still in one piece. You just have to go slow and BE CAREFUL not to hold it by the tube or bumb the little adjusting rings or the board.

Mine's sitting in the bathtub right now letting the small bit of RTV I used set up. Once it's set, I'll fill it and reinstall it in the set.

I also discovered that using a squirt bottle (set to the 'stream' setting) filled with water can be a great flushing aid to get the bad coolant and chunkies out of the reservior. By holding the gun on it's side, I shot the water into the reservior and flushed most of the nasty junk out. Then I used a bunch of tissues to clean the rest of it. It's all nice a clean now.

Just thought I'd give a couple tips based on my very limited experince.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got the coolant changed in the blue gun and the other two are sitting on my dining room table letting the RTV cure before I filled them up.

Here's the blue before:

And here it is now:

Looks a we bit better.
I tried it out before I pulled the other two guns and WOW! I actually have blue! And it's CLEAR!

The green coolant was beginning to contaminate as well. The fluid wasn't chunky like the in the blue reservoir but it was yellow. The red coolant was perfect but I'm changing it anyway. I'm doing my best to seal the crap out of these reservoirs with RTV. I noticed that the blue reservoir had a lot of air in it when I originally drained it. Probably why it contaminated. Now, it has a bubble about the size of a small ball bearing in it. Much better.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually meant to take pics of the prosses of removing the guns, draining the fluid and all of that, but got so into I that I forgot.
Sorry, guys.

I'll try to take pics of the guns sitting on the table and the different parts and all that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I got the coolant changed in all 3 guns and got them reinstalled. I played with the mechanical focus and then the electrical focus. I then played with the convergence grid a bit and got it tweak fairly well. It's not perfect but I have to play with it a bit more. So here's where I picked up from my last post (again, I apologize for not getting the disassembly pics and draining the coolant):

Here's the green gun out of the set. It's already been drained, cleaned and the lens reattached:

Here's what's underneath that cover on the front of the reservoir. Basically a hole. The gasket and cover go here. I filled the fluid from here and also drained it from there before removing the lens:

Here's a closeup of the lens where it seats to the top of the reservoir. You can see the small bit of black RTV silicone seeping out from the seal. I let it cure for 12 hours before putting the coolant in.

Here are the gaskets and gasket covers that go over that hole on the side:

This is how they install:

Here's the coolant I used. I got it from www.mcmelectronics.com

Pouring the coolant into the green reservoir:

I filled it all the way up so that the level was just above the lip in the side hole:

After this I picked up the gun and tilted it all around to make sure all of the air escaped through that hole.

I installed the gasket first by placing my finger in the middle and lightly pushing it into the hold so that air could escape.

Installing the cover:

Here's the gun reinstalled in the set:

This is the felt gasket that goes in between the reservoir and the outer lens:

Installing the outer lens:

All three guns installed in the set:

NOTE: it's a VERY good idea to take pictures of everything BEFORE removing any wires so you have a guide to fall back on when reconnecting everything.

Here's a shot of the picture (professionals, please critique! What can I improve on!):

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I played with the convergence some more. I decided to start with the green, align it, then layer the red and align it to the green, then align the blue to the green. Grid looks good. The lines are white and about as tight as my novice eyes can make it. How does it look to the pros?

Here's my HTPC desktop running at 1260X720 1080i resolution:

Here's the XBMC home screen. You can see where the colors split off in the upper left corner (look at the X in the XBMC logo). I can't seem to get it better than this:

Here's a shot from Watchmen (non-HD):

The pitchers aren't the best because I'm not a photographer and not sure how to best take a picture of a TV. At least I paused the movie though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts