AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hook that might get me to subscribe to VOOM -- after I convince my wife no one will hardly notice we have two dishes on the roof -- is their advertised La Liga from Spain and Serie A from Italy.

Is that up and running, yet?

If it is, any fans out there with comment?

·
Registered
92 Posts
This has been discussed a couple of times. I'm not a VOOM subscriber but from reading details from the VOOM channel guide, the World Sport channel has been showing La Liga games that were taped last season. The games were originally recorded for NHK broadcast. I haven't seen or heard anything in the last month about anything new being shown. I suppose an actual VOOM subscriber would be more informative than I am, but I just can't resist from opportunities to post when the subject is soccer.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
All the games have been from the 2003-2004 season. Yes they are taped and I have seen games from early January this year. There is speculation that there might be a live game shown in 2/1/04! Again nothing official yet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-- have they caught up to where they're just a few days tape delay -- or still doing the way-backs?

How'd Beckham and Zidane look in HD???

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It still quite a mix. Zap2it does not help you to distinguish the date of each soccer game unless you sit down to watch it in the beginning. Right now, it's quite impossible to tell since I have seen games from october, november, december, and january and you do not know which one will be on. Hopefully, it will be better organized after 2/1/04.

Beckham and Zidane look in HD??? Splendid!! Real Madrid has one of the best teams I have seen. They are very nice to watch. A few friends came over last sunday and where very impressed by the picture quality and all the players that Real Madrid has --- Rinaldo, Carlos, Raul, Beckham, Zidane and the list goes on and on. Plus there are other matches that are shown besides the real madrid matches. I know Soccer is not big in the US and I myself is just getting into it but these matches are nice to watch. People over there are really into the match.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as I was introduced to soccer on a visit to Glasgow in 1971 -- I still have my "Celtic are Magic" scarf from that first match, you'll understand the parallel all geeks comprehend.

I've been online as part of my work since 1983! Phew! Finally got broadband access, thirteen months ago.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife just made a telling point. We're both soccer fans and I've been trying to come up with convincing arguments about adding a second dish to the roof [VOOM] for more.

She reminded me, we're trying to spend more time outdoors, walking and hiking, etc..

Would VOOM provide us with more opportunities, more discretion to choose the football matches we watch -- or would we [well, me] end up being even worse couch potatoes?

Being reasonably introspective about the question, I think I'd come down on the side of choice, not volume.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
There's no VOD on VOOM or any satellite system (only cable). There's no DVR (that can provide VOD roughly speaking) yet. The DVR was announced at CES to be released by summer 2004. Take that date as anything can change at this point. Keep in mind that E* just released their 921 HD DVR and Tivo-HD DVR for D* will be released in March 2004. Again this HD DVR stuff is just coming out on DBS providers. On one note, these games are repeated a lot now since Worldsport-HD on VOOM does not have a lot of content but as time goes, it will increase the sports content. BTW there are 50 games from La Liga supposed to shown this year.

There are still improvements that can be done by VOOM to showcase these games but that's another story. Now I am getting more and more into the sport and looking at the current standing and the games that are coming up. The picture is true video HD, no film transfer. I will compare the picture above the NFL films transfer and just a little below the CBS-HD NFL games. It is just fantastic. Also, the broadcast is in English not Spanish. I believe it is dubbed on top of the Video.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been running a DirecTivo for a couple of years, now. We couldn't function without it. I can watch the BBC news at 4PM [MST] while Tivo'ing all of Lou Dobbs. I watch a bit of football news on Sky Sports till my wife gets home -- I'm home, 1st, and prepare supper.

I Tivo ScreenSavers while we have supper -- then, we can play it back together -- we're both geeks. We can, then, share something Tivo'd from the previous evening, if we wish. Then, while my wife hits the Web before bed, I'll usually start a murder mystery or something and stay up a little bit later than she does.

We're both up at 5 AM to rock out for the day.

The TIVO makes all of this easy to manage. If I find something special, Helen would enjoy -- and it's too long for a weekday evening, we just save it for the weekend.

I'm waiting for the DirecTivo HDTV, preferably Samsung.

Probably should wait for the VOOM PVR before I get serious. Read the reviews from CES and it looks reasonably snazzy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.