AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the screen should be at least 3 feet from the floor, and 1 foot from the ceiling.

So within these, should the scree be centered? For instance, I have 9 feet to ceiling, so take 4 off and that leaves me with 5 feet or 60 inches. If my screen is 50 inches in height, should I mount it 3 feet 5 inches up? Or put it as high as possible so the top is 1 foot from the ceiling?

Also, is there a rule for ceiling mounts that make it better to lower the projector as much as possible? My room has a two stage ceiling, so where the projector will be mounted is 11.5 feet, screen wall is 9 feet. Do I lower the projector far down enough to just get to the 9 feet, or do I lower it down even further?

Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've read somewhere that your eyes should be about 1/3 screen height from the bottom of the screen. How far off the floor and how close to the ceiling doesn't matter other than for practical reasons, like being able to see all of the screen when your recliner is all the way back. Closeness to the ceiling isn't an issue either unless you're getting light reflection, in which case you use velvet to absorb the stray light. Best thing to do is sit in the chair, recline it to where you like it, and put the screen where it's most comfortable for you.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Quote:
Best thing to do is sit in the chair, recline it to where you like it, and put the screen where it's most comfortable for you.

agreed, there probably is a proper formula but I would go with what you prefer. My screen is about 5.5 inches off the floor and approximately 4.5 inches from the ceiling and I know there are people cringing and rolling there eyes with this setup, but I like it. There is light reflection off the hard wood and very little off the ceiling. I don't find it very distracting and I never notice when I'm watching.

What ever you like I think would be just a little bit better than perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts