AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Denon 1804 to replace my aging Kenwood HTiB receiver. It's powering two Technics tower speakers and a center, and they sound muddled and WAY too bassy.

I've tried messing with the equalizer settings on my sound card (Audigy 2), and it helped a bit, but it seems like the Kenwood receiver was much louder and more crisp. I've changed nothing but the receiver itself. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Are you running digital in? Make sure the speakers are connected properly (though, I'd ditch those as fast as possible), make sure your drivers are still all working, make sure your settings are large for the front and small for the center. Reset your EQ back to zero or you won't know when you have the Denon set up. Report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alimental
Are you running digital in? Make sure the speakers are connected properly (though, I'd ditch those as fast as possible), make sure your drivers are still all working, make sure your settings are large for the front and small for the center. Reset your EQ back to zero or you won't know when you have the Denon set up. Report back.
I'm using a minijack-to-RCA cable from my sound card; would buying a digital cable and hooking it up that way make a big difference?

The speakers are connected properly. And just out of curiousity, what's wrong with these speakers?

The speaker sizes are as above.

Do you mean the EQ for the sound card? If so, it's back to default.

I made the "problem" bearable by making the bass on the receiver -12db, and the treble +6. It sounds a lot like my Kenwood did - I thought there would be a significant difference between the two? This isn't much louder (if at all) than my Kenwood VR-505.

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You definitely want to go digital if at all possible. I have my computer hooked up digitally and the sound is great. Ehhhh, Technics, well, they're not known for the best speakers, to be euphemistic, and so they may have something to do with it. It's hard to diagnose anything with them hooked up, to be honest, because they're not very accurate in general. Even so, it's hard to imagine them being 18dB out of sorts. But, maybe your other unit was hooked up incorrectly and you're just used to it. Maybe. I would have kept the Kenwood and upgraded the speakers first. Something IS wrong, or WAS wrong, but it's hard to say. Are your tweeters working? It would be hard to get the Denon to make your speakers sound this way. Hook it up digitally though and see what that does. Sometimes, if you have a bad miniplug cable, you can get really bad sound. Digital is all or nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alimental
You definitely want to go digital if at all possible. I have my computer hooked up digitally and the sound is great. Ehhhh, Technics, well, they're not known for the best speakers, to be euphemistic, and so they may have something to do with it. It's hard to diagnose anything with them hooked up, to be honest, because they're not very accurate in general. Even so, it's hard to imagine them being 18dB out of sorts. But, maybe your other unit was hooked up incorrectly and you're just used to it. Maybe. I would have kept the Kenwood and upgraded the speakers first. Something IS wrong, or WAS wrong, but it's hard to say. Are your tweeters working? It would be hard to get the Denon to make your speakers sound this way. Hook it up digitally though and see what that does. Sometimes, if you have a bad miniplug cable, you can get really bad sound. Digital is all or nothing.
I'll try that but since everything is the exact same way as it was before, I don't think it's the cable. But I've wanted to go digital anyway, so I'll pick up the cable tomorrow.

Yes the tweeters seem to be working. Would a picture help at all?

Edit: I also hooked up the receiver to my mom's Bose speakers and they sounded exactly the same. Could it possibly be the cabling?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not familiar with the exact problem, but I haven't seen that some things were checked.

Does it still sound that way when playing FM radio? If so, it's not the PC card.

If that's still true, the only setup problem I can imagine that might cause this is if you are telling the receiver to put out 6 channel music with all channels set to small except the two towers, but you only have the 3 speakers. All the bass below your crossover setting from 6 speakers (3 real and 3 imaginary) is being sent to the towers, yet it's only putting out sound above the crossover to the 3 actual speakers.

Otherwise if you go to this, and you can rule out the speakers by using the old receiver, then it sounds like the receiver is bad.

Good luck,

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.