AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what resolution and screen size is originating from the source of OTA HD in NYC and also for the feed from Time Warner Cable HD also in NYC? 480, 720, or 1080, if the source is in full screen curtain or letterbox. Is there any site I can get this info?

Does anyone know of a device or splitter that would allow me to have both my Silver Sensor and my cable feed go into the digital input on the AccessDTV card? it is a pain to be switching between the 2.

as always any help is greatly appreciate

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The two 8-VSB HD channels that TWCNYC modulates on their cable system here are 1920x1080i. TWC cable is just retransmitting what they receive and in this case it is HBOHD's Eastern feed and WCBS-DT. It is 16x9 all the time, but some shows are not, so you end up with black bars on the left and right e.g. Survivor. Sometimes HBOHD will show a widescreen Panavision 2.35:1 film in its orginal aspect ratio and in this case you end up with black bars on the top and bottom, but this is preferred over cropping the original film to fill the 16x9 screen area. Most of HBO HD Transfers are cropped. I'm watching Crocodile Dundee II right now and it is cropped.

As an aside has anyone noticed the quality of HBOHD lately, it seems a lot better than I remember it. Big Daddy was watcheable only because the PQ did not force me to switch to CBS. Said another way, I watched it because it looked good in HDTV.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a newbie. What exactly to you mean by cropped? If I display it in 480 I can get a 16X9, as soom as I change to 1080 it seems like the picture is squeezed into my display into a 4X3

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well if the station is broadcasting a 4:3 program e.g Survivor it will appear with black bars on the left and right on your HDTV TV. If when switching to the non HDTV feed (480i) of the same program it fills your entire 16x9 screen then you are either zooming in or stretching a 4:3 program.

Without any signal processing (cropping / stretching) by the end user's equipment a 4:3 program on a 16x9 TV broadcast in HDTV or in regular analog NTSC will appear with black bars on the left and right.

By cropped I mean that a a film source that has an aspect ratio greater than 1.78:1 has to be cropped or zoomed in so that the entire 16x9 screen area is occupied.

If the image was not cropped then you end up with black bars on the top and bottom (letterboxing). This is the only way 16x9 sets can accommodate movies with film aspect ratios greater than 1.78:1.

As an aside the two most commonly used aspect ratios for movies are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.

There are several movies that aired recently on HBO that used 2.35:1 and was presented in a simulcast very close to if not the actual aspect ratio. Ghostbusters, Tootsie, Jack Frost to name a few.

With all of these there were black bars on the top and bottom. If these were cropped the entire 16x9 screen area would have been occupied by a portion of the film frame but you would be missing a portion of the frame since the aspect ratio of a 16x9 set 1.78:1 only aligns with 1.78:1 (width to height).

If you do the math the common film aspects ratios of 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 have to be letterboxed to be shown in its original aspect ratio on 1.78:1 or 16x9 HDTV's.

If you're receiving WCBS-DT, tune in this afternoon at 3:30 PM to catch the Masters, this will fill your entire 16x9 screen when tuned to the HDTV CBS channel.

[This message has been edited by imws (edited 04-07-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.