AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys consider proper viewing distance for 43 and 50 inch TVs, I'm trying to decided between the HLM507W and the HLM437W (because the 50seems to be priced almost EXACTLY the same as the 43) but I was wondering if I had enough space to properly view the 50 ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing to consider in viewing distance is that my speakers are PSB Alpha Intro, which, while very very nice are kinda on the small side, so I really worry about their ability to deliver when placed 15 feet away from me (what I was told was proper distance for a 50 inch TV).

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Viewing distance rule of thumb is to sit at a distance of twice the diagonal screen measurement. In other words, (minimum) viewing distance on a 50" - 60" set is about 100 - 120 inches or 9-10 feet.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I am at 9 1/2 ft for the 507 and it is pretty good, personally, I would like to be about 10.5 ft or so, but that is just me.

Jim

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
TogaAssasin,

the answer to your question is that there is no answer. well actually there is no 1 correct answer. the proper viewing distance for you is dependent on the source material you are watching and is also highly subjective. if you are watching HD material you would be happy sitting much closer than if you were watching analog cable or vhs.

some people prefer to sit further from the same set (vfrjim) than others (ftlee) who feel that sitting that far back prevents the cinematic experience. so it is very subjective.

the best advice anyone can give you is to tell you to measure your viewing distance at home and then to go with a tape measure to your local tv retailer and sit that distance from the tvs you are considering, viewing ALL the various sources you have available to you before making a decision.

considering we are at a point where there are so many different kinds of source material available to us it will ultimately be a tradeoff...can you live with sub-par pq on low res sources to have the ultimate HD viewing experience (buy the larger set), or do you go for the better non HD cable/satellite picture at the expense of the larger, more enthralling HD experience? only you can make that decision!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.