AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Uhh... that heading should read "Probs.")

Hi all,

I've been trying to sort this out for myself now for a week and still haven't found a solution anywhere.

I'm running Windows 2000 (does this thing EVER work...) with service pack 2 and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 hooked up to my analog 5.1 speaker setup. (No external reciever).

Running the 3219 drivers right now (the new WDM release which seems to have "somewhat" fixed the spdif issues), but I did also try the 3209s, and the standard (off install disc) drivers.

My problem is not the SPDIF (for a change). I'm trying to get WinDvd 3 retail to decode 6 channels in software. Ie. without using the AC3 decoder of my SbLive 5.1.

It seems to me that this problem has nothing (?) to do with the spdif problem... I've tried the unofficial TRIX passthrough patches to no avail. They all get the spdif working - but this still causes hassels. It would surprise me if the two are directly related.

For those that still don't have the spdif working, by the way, official drivers 3209 work well with PowerDvd 3 and the 3219s (the newest ones) enable the spdif option in WinDvd 3 but seem to also speed the video up rendering them useless. Maybe thats just on my side though - I haven't tried to fix it much.

Back to the point. I want to use Windvd 3 to decode DTS - hence my reasoning for not just using the onboard SBLive AC3 decode.

Now I've tried T2:UE and it *does* in fact decode the dts signal. I never used to get any audio before. The problem now is - is that it seems to be downconverting the audio at the same time.

I'm not getting true dts (or ac3 for that matter). It is simply duplicating the front speaker sounds to the rear and ignoring the center speaker completely. Its almost like an emulated surround sound mode for four speakers.

Now I seem to remember (maybe incorrectly?) that the 6 channel option worked while I was running WindowsMe.

If this IS true and it does work outside of Win2000 - what can I do to get the WinDvd software decoding to work correctly on Windows 2k?

Any suggestions? Help would *REALLY* be appreciated. Please. I really have tried everything and it seems my last resort here is to format and install 98... which I really don't want to have to do.

I couldn't find anything about this in the forum or anywhere on the net. I have looked on the official sblive forum and the alive europe forums to no avail. Apologies if I missed it somewhere.

eshylay

[email protected]

------------------

eshylay

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by eshylay (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

Please. I have seen many other users report this problem - and I have yet to see anyone get a solution. Its not only me.

There must be some way. Even if you don't have a solution - could someone please confirm that 6-channel decode works in WinDvd on Windows9x/Me.

If there really is NO way to get this working on Win2k - I'll simply format. But it would even help to know before hand that it would work then.

Thank you, and again, any help REALLY would be very appreciated. I'm totally stuck as it stands.

eshylay

[email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump again.

I made an image of my 2k partition, formatted and installed Windows 98.

I can now confirm that the WinDvd 6-channel software audio decode *does* work correctly under Win98.

However, I would much rather get this thing working on Windows 2000.

Here is another post off this forum with the same problem, also no solution as of yet: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/007734.html

eshylay

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Eshylay:

___I think you are not getting much help here because the DAC’s on the Live’s are not what most in this group would consider for a HQ analog output. More than likely, most will be using the internal DD/DTS decoders in their receivers with the Live’s instead. I wish I could offer more help as I only own a Live Value II (non-5.1) and an M-Audio AP2496 so 6 channel DD/DTS output is not in the works. The M-Audio Delta 1010 or the upcoming Theater card may be a good match for HQ DD/DTS output via the onboard DAC’s but I haven’t heard for sure that it works just yet. I know “Soren†posts here quite a bit and owns a Delta 1010 as well. He may have some insight into 6 channel DD/DTS output working with that card using WinDVD 3.0 under Windows 2000 SP2 final. It sure is nice to have DD/DTS working under Windows 2000 with WinDVD 2000 2.6, 2.6.4, 3.0.055 as well as PowerDVD 2.55.05620 and 3.0.xxx with the Live cards and the 3219 WDM drivers using the std. S/PDIF outputs. The ATI 4.0 and 4.1 players are the next victims to work on …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had a long dialogue with the creative support guys on this very issue. Creative said it worked, but I never could get it to work,

What I wanted was to use the Creative supplied DVD software (Windvd 2.3) with my Creative DVD drive and get 5.1 sound out of the analogue ports on my live 5.1 card under Windows 2000. Simple enough you might think, but no. All I got was a horrible downmix that put my center somewhere behind my left ear!

PowerDVD did work properly, as it did with SPDIF passthru. I think this is because PowerDVD uses the Creative AC3 dll. WinDVD uses the direct wave out method, which as you point out is only now fixed with SP2 and the foreign 3219s.

I have this config and for SPDIF it works fine. I did have that speed issue once with the DTS version of Chicken Run, but stop/start fixed that problem and all other titles have been fine.

What to make of all this?

Well, to properly get an analogue output the software DVD player has to be able to drive the 6 channels directly. While creative may have fixed the direct wave out so that SPDIF works, the bit that allows the software player to address the 6 channels directly is still missing.

While WinDVD thinks it can see the 6 channels, I think the 6 channels i can see do not lead directly to the analogue stage. I think they lead to the onboard DD decoder, which is where things get screwed up!

One question, does it make any difference to enable/disable the DD 5.1 deconding on the card ?

Bottom line, I think it's the not quite ready 3219s that are the problem, or the fact that WinDVD doesn't use the Creative AC3 dll.

Regards

Simon

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again,

thank you both for getting back to me. Siwilson, I did also get your email, thanks.

As far as disabling the liveware ac3 decode, I don't have Windows 2000 installed right now - so I can't confirm for *certain* - but I'm pretty sure it did not make a difference. I tried most things along those lines.

This whole issue does seem to stem from the spdif/win2k thing. Its quite possible this is all due to incomplete Creative drivers.

I was running the (supposedly) ac3-fixed 3219 drivers at the time. The spdif output option was then enabled with WinDvd but the WinDvd (self) decode was still faulty.

This is what I'm going to do:

Firstly I want to still see if I can't get this working on Win2k. I'll restore my image today and tinker more with the drivers. I'll also double check the disabling of the liveware ac3 decode.

I did come accross some Chinese (I think) beta Creative drivers labeled 322... something a while back. I'll give those a go - and I also want to try messing with a mixture of 2k/9x liveware drivers.

It seems that (technically) the spdif issue *has* been resolved on Win2k - but that WinDvd isn't really supporting the new drivers yet. If this is a Creative, a Microsoft or an Intervideo fault - I have no idea - and it doesn't seem anyone wants to admit to anything.

I'm thinking maybe if I can isolate the drivers its actually using - I can just copy over an older (pre-ac3 fix) file.

Its worth a shot I guess. Finally, if that doesn't work... I'm going to simply dual boot Win98/2k and use 98 for my dvds.

Thank you for your time - I'll post back here if I make any progress.

eshylay

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.