AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is only (as far as I have read ) a one way communication. Now since you do not have a box, but you can not get a guide or on demand. So is this a novelty for some or is it going to be an important component?

· Registered
47 Posts
Wondering about this as well..Comcast in Michigan says they will charge me for the cable box even if I don't use it ($5/mo) and that I will miss out on "on demand" stuff, program channel guide, etc. Almost like they are trying to push me into using the STB even though my Panny Consumer model has built in cable card slot.

As I understand, if I forgo cable STB and use cable card slot in my panel, I will be able to use the Panny TH42PD25UP included remote to control everything with one remote.

WAF logic says "less remotes=good" cuz she can barely figure out how to turn the thing on under current set up (27" CRT hooked to REceiver, DVD player, etc). It must be a guy thing...When I bring my new plasma home I'd like to make it as user friendly for her as possible.

How about real world input: would anyone here DIE without on-screen program guide or "on demand"? I don't have it now with my standard cable TV so I don't know what I'm missing. (new digital cable hook up next week) Wife has always hated the cable box (ugly, another remote, etc.) and we got rid of it many years ago...but maybe new digital comcast TV will be different and warrant the ugly box?

Great stuff in these forums..

EP

· Registered
308 Posts
Pweb: I'll tell you a nice story about that guide...I hooked Comcast's digital cable and my wife hated the OSMenu...that was hard considering that we were paying more for it so she started a little psychologic war about it...one week later, the war was off, she never mentioned the OSM again....I went hmmm??? Well it comes out that now she loves the OSM...I mean, she CAN'T live without it...she sets remainders for her shows...she knows when the movie she missed will be on again, etc...

BTW I don't work for Comcast, I don't even like the OSM that much now!! Is all hers...once you get used to it, it's hard to leave it. It's important to mention that she loves watching TV so being in front of it trying to figure out the OSM wasn't hard for her...

Hope this helps!

· Registered
348 Posts
Pros -

less clutter 1. no box) and 2. no cables to connect at the back

you can use one remote (although some can use one by programming the cable box remote or the tv remote)

Cons -

one way communication

still some are having problems (see hdtv hardware forums)

I would love not to have the comcast box in addition to the AV receiver, dvd player, another player, so I am hoping that the CC will eventually offer what the box can

· Registered
607 Posts
I still haven't really seen a "con" despite an unknown added cost. Someone mentioned $500 but thats not true - tvs that the cablecard slot comes in tend to be slightly more expensive due to other features as well.

I would like having one because it gives the set more versatility even if I don't have immediate plans to use it (maybe move the set to the bedroom someday?). That isn't to say I would buy a set without one but it goes in the 'plus' column for me.

· Registered
362 Posts
For those of you who want a cablecard slot but can't live w/o the guide. I'm pretty sure that Harmony Remotes (I've got the 676) will download your program information (tv guide) for your favorite programs into the remote and display them on the lcd on the remote..

Just a thought.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
If you are going to use a cable card - do you have a vcr, tivo etc? My wife loves the cable box/DVR combination - we never use the VCR. When I purchase a new audio receiver I will be moving the VCR to another room and reducing one more component.

For me, I see no use in the cable card due to the use of the cable DVR.

JCPZero

· Registered
151 Posts
What I really want to see is a ATI AIW AGP / PCI with CableCARD that would make my whole life ALOT easier. no more cable box and use the Tvguide download internet thingie to get program info. One remote and no cable box KILLER!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.