AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of flipping a coin I thought I'd get some other opinions. I have narrowed my choice to these two sets; however, my only local viewing option is a lousy BB and CC store that has terrible conditions (different source material, bright lights, torch mode, etc).


I will be using this for casual tv viewing and xbox360 as the dedicated theater room will be handling the critical viewing chores. As such, some SD material will be on the menu and the Toshiba SRT thing seems interesting but should that be a difference maker? Is there any significant advantage of one over another? I have found both options within dollars of one another so that variable is nullified also.


Thank you for your opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne192 /forum/post/15529763


Instead of flipping a coin I thought I'd get some other opinions. I have narrowed my choice to these two sets; however, my only local viewing option is a lousy BB and CC store that has terrible conditions (different source material, bright lights, torch mode, etc).


I will be using this for casual tv viewing and xbox360 as the dedicated theater room will be handling the critical viewing chores. As such, some SD material will be on the menu and the Toshiba SRT thing seems interesting but should that be a difference maker? Is there any significant advantage of one over another? I have found both options within dollars of one another so that variable is nullified also.


Thank you for your opinions.

I have srt on my 545 and it does improve your sd, dvd and even 720 material when used properly. It was part of the reason I chose the 545. There is a demo mode on the 545. If they have one on display you can see for yourself. I was skeptical when I viewed it in store but after comparing next to a samsung 630 at home I really could see a difference.


I also like the autoview feature on the toshiba. It works great. It automatically adjusts all of your picture settings based on your viewing conditions.


I havent used it but I have read some positive things about the gaming mode on the toshiba.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I gotta tell ya man, look for the 650 on sale. It is so much better than the 550 and you can get it for a VERY similar price.


And from what I understand, the gaming mode doesn't seem to do anything... idk I have never had any sort of controller lag on my 42" LG that we payed under 900 dollars for. So I highly doubt either TV would suffer from such an effect. Here is a bit more information on the Toshiba's up-conversion processor, if you will:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10123330-1.html


article isn't about that specific set, but does explain what their SRT function is all about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethnwoodman /forum/post/15530011


I gotta tell ya man, look for the 650 on sale. It is so much better than the 550 and you can get it for a VERY similar price.


And from what I understand, the gaming mode doesn't seem to do anything... idk I have never had any sort of controller lag on my 42" LG that we payed under 900 dollars for. So I highly doubt either TV would suffer from such an effect. Here is a bit more information on the Toshiba's up-conversion processor, if you will:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10123330-1.html


article isn't about that specific set, but does explain what their SRT function is all about.

Here is what gamimg mode is supposed to do on the toshiba.


Gaming Mode™ enhances your gaming experience by reducing game controller delay. When activated, Gaming Mode™ allows the video signal to bypass select picture circuitry to shorten the overall signal to screen time. There is an approximately 33 millisecond response improvement for 60Hz models, and a 48 millisecond response improvement for 120Hz models.


There were a few things about the cnet review I would take issue with. I started a thread recently about that review if you want to read my post. Myself and probably any every other owner of a toshiba with srt would disagree with that part of his review. Below is my previous response about that review.


Is this guy a professional reviewer? It almost seems like he is biased.


The bad:

Inaccurate primary color of green and cyan; subpar uniformity; proprietary upconversion circuit introduces edge enhancement; lackluster design



Subpar uniformity? Virtually every lcd tv on the market including the ones on his list suffer from this including a lot of the samsung and sony tvs. Its their panel in the toshiba. There are hundreds of posts about flashlighting and clouding issues on the sony and samsung threads.


The proprietary upconversion circuit he is referring to is the srt feature. He obviously didnt know how to use it. It can introduce noticeable edge enhancement when your setting is too high but in moderation it does improve 480/720 and dvd picture.


Lackluster design? Why because it doesnt have toc ( which a lot of people hate), or scarlet around bezel ? It has a very nice black relatively thin bezel. Whats wrong with that? The controls are easily accessible on the side and you can actually see them to use them unlike the samsung 630 I had.


Here is something else he wrote:


"As do most LCD HDTVs available in 2008, the 46XV545U has a native resolution of 1080p. However, at this screen size it's very difficult to tell the difference between 1080p and lower resolutions. "


That is a ridiculous statement- is he blind?


I think any review is only as good as the reviewer and the cnet reviewer in my opinion wasnt very good.


Btw. I set my dvd player to 480 and I let the tv do the upconversion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethnwoodman /forum/post/15530011


I gotta tell ya man, look for the 650 on sale. It is so much better than the 550 and you can get it for a VERY similar price.

+1


The Sammy A650 (and A630) have a lot of things that the 550 doesn't... ultra-clear panel, the 120 Hz for better motion-handling, better contrast ratio, faster response time, etc. etc. The 6 Series seems to be the 'sweet spot' for Samsung LCDs.


Check these things out at the SamsungUSA site, for some reason Amazon's spec listings seem to be off/inaccurate.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...2a650_spec.pdf

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...a/LN52A550.pdf



But the proof is in the picture quality when you view them both side by side. The 550 is good, but the the 650 is a bit better, and you can tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15535084


+1


The Sammy A650 (and A630) have a lot of things that the 550 doesn't... ultra-clear panel, the 120 Hz for better motion-handling, better contrast ratio, faster response time, etc. etc. The 6 Series seems to be the 'sweet spot' for Samsung LCDs.


Check these things out at the SamsungUSA site, for some reason Amazon's spec listings seem to be off/inaccurate.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...2a650_spec.pdf

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...a/LN52A550.pdf



But the proof is in the picture quality when you view them both side by side. The 550 is good, but the the 650 is a bit better, and you can tell.

Actually the 630 doesnt have the ultra clear panel. It is semi matte like the 550.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe /forum/post/15535135


Actually the 630 doesnt have the ultra clear panel. It is semi matte like the 550.

Yep, I know, but the 630 still has the 120 Hz for better motion-handling, better contrast ratio than the 550, and the faster response time. Sorry if my sentence wasn't clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Yeah...the 650 is more feature rich but i saw one on display at a big box store and that glossy screen (which is responsible for the great blacks) is one of its biggest downfalls - that thing reflects light badly. If you have a light on the background - and it doesn't have to be bright - you're gonna see the reflection. It might as well be a mirror.


Another note - response times and contrast ratios are not standard measurements - they should be taken with a grain of salt. That's mostly marketing hype by Samsung. Anything 8ms on response time you're never gonna notice.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top