AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm running a hsu 2.3 on max ext, the prob is that I have two options on sub placement and wanted to see what you guys think?

1) front wall along with with front speakers, ( this gave a okay smooth freq response) prob is that it's one sharing walls of my parents bedroom. So I'm always getting text in the afternoon saying "turn that shat down, your gonna knock down picture frames"

2) almost two feet away from seating position against back wall, after calibrating I notice sub was very low on volume. Prob is that I just feel a gust of wind everytime something explodes which is kind of cool I guess ? But I feel like I can tell the sub location which is kind of distracting.

Should I just deal with parents or sacrifice with the localization?

Any tunning suggestions?

Yamaha rx v465

Energy 5.0 rc 10

Hsu vtf 2 mk3

Crossover at 80hz with all RC plugs and some modest room treatments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Have you done subwoofer crawl? I would suggest doing so and then trying out a few different locations. I don't like being able to localize the sub, you may try turning down crossover to see if speakers and sub still blend and make sub less localizable.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I prefer to have my bass up front. Besides putting up layer of green glue and layer of drywall on top, going to be hard to keep bass going through adjoining wall. Need mass to stop those low bass waves. The lower the bass, the harder it is to contain, may try different tuned mode that not going as low in bass, and or pulling it out from adjoining wall. Play sub and go into other room to see how bad sound leak in parent's room. Could put some type of material on the back of pictures to reduce rattles to trick parents into thinking its not as loud as it is. Other option is to get your parents ear plugs for Holidays or invite them up to watch with. 12+ years ago I had 12"s in towers that would shake my parents bed above my basement bomb shelter room, I tried to be respectful, but it was hard as teenager at home.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could pull out sub a lil I guess, its only like 3 inch away from wall.

Thanks man, well I'm 25 so I guess I will try to help my parents not be the leave me alone teenager. Lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you happen to still have the foam packaging that came with the sub? If so you could try place the sub on top of the foam and see if it reduces the transmission to your parents room. If it does, then you may want to consider an isolation pad. Auralex Gramma pad, is one of them. ED also sells ones for their sub, or can make a custom spec'd one.

Daniel

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hummm, my opinion is probably not a popular one but if I had to tell you to turn it down more than once (ever) the very next discussion I had with you would be telling you that it is time for you to become independant and move out.

Come to think of it since you are 25 I would probably be having that discussion with you even if you were not annoying me in the afternoons.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/19605953

Hummm, my opinion is probably not a popular one but if I had to tell you to turn it down more than once (ever) the very next discussion I had with you would be telling you that it is time for you to become independant and move out.

Come to think of it since you are 25 I would probably be having that discussion with you even if you were not annoying me in the afternoons.

It could be that maybe he's having to help his parents out financially. I had to go through that for a long long time at his age.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off I do want to move out and I could , but I am helping my parents with bills, also my dads job is not too sure right now. But hey I'm not married or anything so why not help them.... Also at 25 with this economy would be hard to have a house most likely an apartment so I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't mind the 18hz.Lol

At least I don't have the wife factor , I've seen my dad loose alot of hobbies due to it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Remember who's house you are living in, and let your respect for your parents drive your actions. Forget placement etc., the best thing you could do in this situation is just keep the volume down. Sorry, but until you live in a detached house, it's just selfish to impose your hobby on those that don't want it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad likes my hobby, he's actually the one giving me some ideas, I think I got him addicted to doing little touch ups, and loves watching movies.

My focus is having options and learning from all the improvements that you guys have offered which I appreciate. I'm sure those of you that are married or that are in the same situation as I am know that we will not stop tweaking until we get the best sound for the environment/people we have to deal with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.