AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a tv soon. I am clueless about plasma. Do plasma tv's get dead pixels or blurred pixels? What are the problems with plasma. Looking to buy the xbr8, b750, or b8500 LCD's but want to give plasma a look first.


I know about the Kuro but I am looking to keep the price around $2,000 or lower. What is the best plasma out there in this range over 40".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Pros: Kuro


It can exceed any PQ by any and every LCD available today like the flamethrower mode everyone enjoys on LCD's while still also if desired can deliver the most accurate picture available through adjustments. I keep hearing people say plasmas don't have bright settings I have set my 500M on standard while gaming and turning down the color to mid and input to RGB 0-2.. have achieved and seen more detail and color than any set available today. Play with settings and voila.


Cons: not a Kuro means having problems in certain lighting conditions, details, motion, flicker, black level, color accuracy, bezel matching, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
Pros-

1. nearly infinite viewing angles...in other words people sitting in places other than dead center don't have to suffer with odd colors and a darker picture.


2. Smoother, more "filmlike" picture which doesn't look artificially sharpened.


3. better black levels than all but the most expensive LED lcd's....means that dark scenes don't look washed out gray or lose detail.


4. naturally better than lcd's for fast motion sports and such...and even better with the latest tech.


Cons-

1. A little more power hungry than a comparable sized lcd


2. Still a chance for permanent burn-in....but you would nearly have to have a defective set or intentional abuse to cause burn-in (not temporary image retention) with newer generation plasma panels.


3. the rare gases encased in plasma panels will eventually leak out and need to be recharged.*


*I'm kidding of course
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer /forum/post/16923739


Pros: Kuro


It can exceed any PQ by any and every LCD available today like the flamethrower mode everyone enjoys on LCD's while still also if desired can deliver the most accurate picture available through adjustments. I keep hearing people say plasmas don't have bright settings I have set my 500M on standard while gaming and turning down the color to mid and input to RGB 0-2.. have achieved and seen more detail and color than any set available today. Play with settings and voila.


Cons: not a Kuro means having problems in certain lighting conditions, details, motion, flicker, black level, color accuracy, bezel matching, etc.

Pathetic advise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Only downside for my plasma is that it does not hold white very well. Using it as a PC display, if you open up a very white window, the entire display darkens to a sort of grey. Plasmas (at least my 54V10 Panasonic) are unable to display a great deal of white without having to drop the brightness quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer /forum/post/16923739


Pros: Kuro,,,,It can exceed any PQ by any and every LCD available today

As a former Kuro owner (6020) I would have to dis-agree,,, the Kuro is a killer display but the new'est Samsung LED LCD's are my new pick.


Cheers

Davyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16924452


As a former Kuro owner (6020) I would have to dis-agree,,, the Kuro is a killer display but the new'est Samsung LED LCD's are my new pick.


Cheers

Davyo

You should try out a 500m its not to shabby.
LCD's are way overpriced and don't offer the same overall quality plasma does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Many LCD's look fantastic,especially with the "POP" on the showroom floor however if your someone like me who came from superior and natural motion of a CRT(like an XBR960)you may prefer the unprocessed motion of Plasma's.


I found this out after spending some time with then returning an LED Samsung to get a Panny X1.


Loved the POP however the all the motion processing drove me nuts(didn't bother the wife though) however it turns out the X1 has the same POP with none of the motion nonsense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
This is true, why are LCD's so expensive when there isn't one out there that can even remotely satisfy my requirements for PQ? If everybody and their brother is making them these days shouldn't they be priced more competitively? John Q. Public swears up and down about how much better LCD is and they buy them in droves, even if I have the technical papers to back up my claims about plasma, nobody cares, they want, "da LC TV", I say that because most of these people can barely even complete the acronym, seriously.


Sure I bought into the hype at one point, bought an LCD set because I figured I could tolerate it and it had, of course, a lot of POP, but once I watched a movie on it at night I was horrified (among many other negative attributes).


Am I missing something? Even the best Sammy's don't look that great to me. Everybody keeps telling me that I am extra sensitive to certain picture quality aspects, maybe that's it. Either way it boggles my mind how expensive they are for the mediocre quality they produce. Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread or anything, continue on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 /forum/post/16924552


Many LCD's look fantastic,especially with the "POP" on the showroom floor however if your someone like me who came from superior and natural motion of a CRT(like an XBR960)you may prefer the unprocessed motion of Plasma's.


I found this out after spending some time with then returning an LED Samsung to get a Panny X1.


Loved the POP however the all the motion processing drove me nuts(didn't bother the wife though) however it turns out the X1 has the same POP with none of the motion nonsense.

As far as coming from the CRT world I also have,, first with RPTV CRT's and then to ceiling mounted CRT projectors, after years of CRT projecotrs I switched to LCD projectors, then LCD RPTV's and then to plasma when they were very new, and very expensive.

Im not sure how many plasma's and projectors I have owned, but its alot.

My last plasma was a 60" Kuro 6020, I now own an LCD.


Im in that weird camp that like's LCD and plasma equally for different reasons, both plasma and LCD have there pros and cons.


Anyhow, the only LCD vs plasma issue I have is tring to decide what the next purchase is going to be.


Will it be the new Samsung 8000 LED or the new Panasonic 65" V10.


CHeers

Davyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
There is no perfect technology for HDTV, (all due respect to Plasma and LCD lovers alike), both have there pros and cons as outlined in the other posts. The degree to which the pro and cons will be evident to you will vary depending on the brand and model, the environment that the set is being viewed in, and whether the set has been proper calibrated.


You seem to be considering some to end sets, so if you are a sports fan, and will be introducing your new HDTV into a room where you can control ambient light, hunt down a Pioneer model while you can.


If you are putting the HDTV in a room where you can't control the ambient light, the XBR8 is good fit, or better yet, hunt down a Samsung A950, or wait until the Samsung B9000 is introduced.


Whatever HDTV you buy, spend the extra $ and have it properly calibrated in your home.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
pdp's can get dead or stuck pixels just like lcd's.


cons for plasma that have not yet been mentioned:


1) horizontal line bleed. not an issue with lcd's.

2) usually lcd's don't end up with buzzing issues like pdp's.

3) plasmas are generally heavier, use more power, put out more heat.

4) some people at close viewing distances could be bothered by the dithering employed on plasmas.

5) lcd's don't have issues with image retention/burn-in, and even if people claim it goes away rather quickly, until it does go away it CAN affect your viewing experience. if you can see it during normal viewing, and it should not be there, then in my book, that is an effect on picture quality, even if only temporary.

6) uneven wear. if you watch nothing but movies with black bars all the time, eventually those portions of the screen where the black bars were located could look brighter than the rest of the screen, since those pixels were not being lit-up, and after thousands of hours of use this could affect your viewing experience.

7) AR screens. many people have reported issues with uneven application of the AR filters on their plasmas, such as "pink hue" on the sammys, "dirty screen effect" on the pioneers, etc.


i'm sure there are some more that i have left out. this is just a few off the top of my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-tube /forum/post/16924869


Whatever HDTV you buy, spend the extra $ and have it properly calibrated in your home.

Or else buy a Samsung so you can calibrate it yourself, as often as need be, so you don't have to spend those extra $.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16926453


pdp's can get dead or stuck pixels just like lcd's.


cons for plasma that have not yet been mentioned:


1) horizontal line bleed. not an issue with lcd's.

2) usually lcd's don't end up with buzzing issues like pdp's.

3) plasmas are generally heavier, use more power, put out more heat.

4) some people at close viewing distances could be bothered by the dithering employed on plasmas.

5) lcd's don't have issues with image retention/burn-in, and even if people claim it goes away rather quickly, until it does go away it CAN affect your viewing experience. if you can see it during normal viewing, and it should not be there, then in my book, that is an effect on picture quality, even if only temporary.

6) uneven wear. if you watch nothing but movies with black bars all the time, eventually those portions of the screen where the black bars were located could look brighter than the rest of the screen, since those pixels were not being lit-up, and after thousands of hours of use this could affect your viewing experience.

7) AR screens. many people have reported issues with uneven application of the AR filters on their plasmas, such as "pink hue" on the sammys, "dirty screen effect" on the pioneers, etc.


i'm sure there are some more that i have left out. this is just a few off the top of my head.

i'll never understand how people few this as a con, they barely weight like 10 pounds more than a similarly sized lcd, and you only have to move it a few times during its whole life, sometimes just once
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
The deal breaker for me as far as LCD goes is the motion resolution problems associated with every LCD produced

I like to watch sports and action movies and I find both unacceptable with LCD

I also find color saturation to be far superior with plasma

In the end its a personal choice but you will notice that most videophiles agree that plasma has the best pq


almost all of the so called problems listed above are only problems with the lower level sets like LG or Samsung,I would recommend a Pioneer or Panasonic for optimum performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/16924642


This is true, why are LCD's so expensive when there isn't one out there that can even remotely satisfy my requirements for PQ? If everybody and their brother is making them these days shouldn't they be priced more competitively? John Q. Public swears up and down about how much better LCD is and they buy them in droves, even if I have the technical papers to back up my claims about plasma, nobody cares, they want, "da LC TV", I say that because most of these people can barely even complete the acronym, seriously.


Sure I bought into the hype at one point, bought an LCD set because I figured I could tolerate it and it had, of course, a lot of POP, but once I watched a movie on it at night I was horrified (among many other negative attributes).


Am I missing something? Even the best Sammy's don't look that great to me. Everybody keeps telling me that I am extra sensitive to certain picture quality aspects, maybe that's it. Either way it boggles my mind how expensive they are for the mediocre quality they produce. Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread or anything, continue on..

Well said. I feel the same way as you do. Im sensitive all right...sensitive to GOOD video images & off-angle viewing, neither of which are strongpoints for LCD. LCDs are just computer monitors on steroids. They just dont cut it. The have some strengths....like.... ummmm.... they can be used for stadium lighting at a baeball game should the regular lights become dysfunctional.



Otherwise, Meh. Bleh.


Gimme plasma or give me death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I went from an LCD to a plasma. I had a Sony XBR5 and after viewing my friends Pioneer Elite, I just had to have one. I got one and never looked back. My biggest issue with the LCD is the viewing angle. With the way my living room is situated, lcd didn't work for me. Plus the blacks on the plasma are superior, which again, with the lcd, once your off angle, the blacks are washed out. This thing with image retention is a bunch of bunk. You would have to have the tv on pause for days before anything like that would ever happen. As far as dead pixels, both lcd and plasma can suffer from that. For whatever it's worth, my xbr5 had about 8 dead pixels that I had counted. My Elite has zero.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 /forum/post/16923479


I'm looking to buy a tv soon. I am clueless about plasma. Do plasma tv's get dead pixels or blurred pixels? What are the problems with plasma. Looking to buy the xbr8, b750, or b8500 LCD's but want to give plasma a look first.


I know about the Kuro but I am looking to keep the price around $2,000 or lower. What is the best plasma out there in this range over 40".

If you hurry, you can get a deal on a Pioneer 500M, it easily outdistances the the other displays. You don't need to deal with the primitive off axis viewing of an LCD in the year 2009...unless you enjoy someone sitting on your lap
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top