AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck between these two subs. My room is approx. 18' x 18' with 18' cathedral ceilings. I like tight, loud, low bass (not boomy), and I'm probably 20% music and 80% movies. However, I'm fairly critical with music so I want the sub to perform well with music even though I will be using it more frequently for movies.

Rest of the system in a Denon 4310Ci, B&W XT8's (L/R towers), B&W XTC (center) and B&W [email protected] (surrounds).

Can't seem to find much on the Optimum-12. Any recommendations???

·
Registered
410 Posts
The ULS-15 is incredibly accurate while giving plenty of output. Check out the Rythmik F15 as I think this is a great addition to the choices you have been looking at.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I do not want to be too negative here but you have a fairly large room that will be a problem with any subwoofer due to the fact your room is one big square >> equal dimensions. Read this article here.

With that said the ULS-15 goes lower (15 hz -1 db)than the Velodyne (+/-3 db at 21 hz) if that is a feature you want. Since your listening habits are 80 HT 20 Music you would have better success with the ULS-15 for HT because it will go lower than 21 hz. But do not get me wrong, the ULS-15 is excellent with music.

But then again, in your case, you might want to opt for the Optimum. It has the built in EQ which might help you intergrate it to that big square you are sitting in.

My suggestion is to talk to Curt at Velodyne (928) 858-4430 and Hsu 1-800-554-0150 and ask for Pete then compare what they think is your best option.

In case you do not know I am currently running 2 older Velodynes with a ULS-15 Dual drive system. I had the Velos for many years then bought the ULS-15s and the ULS-15s are a huge improvement over the older Velodynes. I can not speak for the newer Optimum. I use the ULS-15s for the really low frequencies and the Velodynes nearfield for the midbass.

So in closing it really is a toss up. So have I throughly confused you now?

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not at all...all good info. As with anything else, it comes down to compromises.

To make matters worse concerning my room, it is completely open to the kitchen behind it. So I really don't want to skimp on the sub...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
The HSU will romp all over the Optimum!

The HSU is an all around MUCH more capable sub with regards to everything but the electronics package and aesthetics.

It will give you the extension for HT, more output for HT, and great SQ to match.

I mean the Velo is a fine sub, but you are really comparing apple to oranges.

The room EQ can certainly be helpful if needed, the remote - not so much.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18235463

The HSU will romp all over the Optimum!

The HSU is an all around MUCH more capable sub with regards to everything but the electronics package and aesthetics.

It will give you the extension for HT, more output for HT, and great SQ to match.

I mean the Velo is a fine sub, but you are really comparing apple to oranges.

The room EQ can certainly be helpful if needed, the remote - not so much.

Well I was trying to be PC on your choices but jpmst3 has spoken and I guess its the ULS-15. Do you have a ULS-15 jpmst3?

But one caveat, in that size room, with adjoining kitchen, you will probably need two.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently purchased a Velodyne OPtimum 10 inch subwoofer. Here are my thoughts, on it. I really like the bass quality, and sound. Has enough bass and volume, for me. My room is 11x18, with vaulted ceilings. Not trying to promote websites. But Crutchfield will let you try the velodyne for 60 days. If you don't like it, you can send it back. Don't think they have the 12. You can try the 10, get a good idea, what they sound like. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I was really stuck between the ULS-15 and the new SVS SB-13 Plus, but the SVS isn't even on pre-order yet. That's when my local dealer said he could give me a great deal on the Velodyne. I didn't think the Velodyne would be strong enough but figured I would look into it.

So unless SVS releases the SB-13 Plus in the next couple of days, its the ULS-15 for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts