AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using a 5 or 7 channel amp with a AV receiver. How common is this configuration? What are the pros and cons to doing it.

My thinking is this, an AMP will last a long time- will not likely be replaced by some new technology for a long time at least longer than what the AVR market is going through, with new models coming to the marketplace each and every year. It would almost be considered a one time purchase.

Then I can get a low cost, low powered (no sense paying for a lot fo power that I don't need), fairly fully featured AVR to use as a pre-amp. Then as new technologies come out, I can replace this low-cost AVR with a more up-to-date one with out going broke.

For example, I can not afford to buy a Denon 3808, Yamaha 3800, or Pioneer 94 each year or every two or three years. Heck, I have had my Marantz AVR for 7 years now. But, I can afford to buy a Denon 1908 or Pioneer VSX 1018 (coming out in the Summer) and etc. every few years and keep up with the latest and greatest features and technology.

What should I know about going down this road?

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Good strategy..

As long as your system has the physical space for the additional components. Also be sure to study closely each AVR as features/technologies/capabilities are changing frequently. Also make sure the target AVR has multi-channel Pre-Outs as many have deleted this feature..

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko /forum/post/12998236

I am considering using a 5 or 7 channel amp with a AV receiver. How common is this configuration? What are the pros and cons to doing it.

My thinking is this, an AMP will last a long time- will not likely be replaced by some new technology for a long time at least longer than what the AVR market is going through, with new models coming to the marketplace each and every year. It would almost be considered a one time purchase.

Then I can get a low cost, low powered (no sense paying for a lot fo power that I don't need), fairly fully featured AVR to use as a pre-amp. Then as new technologies come out, I can replace this low-cost AVR with a more up-to-date one with out going broke.

For example, I can not afford to buy a Denon 3808, Yamaha 3800, or Pioneer 94 each year or every two or three years. Heck, I have had my Marantz AVR for 7 years now. But, I can afford to buy a Denon 1908 or Pioneer VSX 1018 (coming out in the Summer) and etc. every few years and keep up with the latest and greatest features and technology.

What should I know about going down this road?

You are correct, the cheaper receivers will cut cost by using smaller analog components (transformers, caps,...) but they will also cut cost by using cheaper digital components (DACs, DSPs...).

Regardless of how good your amp is, GIGO still applies.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I am currently using a 4308 as a pre with a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp driving everything.

This was not my original goal though.

I had originally purchased the 4308 to drive everything, but after a new L/C/R speaker purchase, it made me want to test the waters of a separate amp.

Though the 4308 did a nice job for me, I am loving the new combo even more.

It does give you the best of both worlds as far as features and power.

Later

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you like to have the latest features it is a lot cheaper replacing a receiver than a separate AVP. Just keep in mind that receivers in general will often sacrifice some sound quality. I say that even though I have used a H/K AVR520 as a pre for years and even passed over some high end AVPs during that period, mainly because they had shortcomings that made them poor values in relation to whatever sound quality improvements I heard (or not). I therefore recommend H/K receivers as a first option when going the receiver-as-pre route. Unfortunately I think all new H/K receivers have cooling fans - something I don't have to put up with on my AVR520.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Quote:
Also make sure the target AVR has multi-channel Pre-Outs as many have deleted this feature..

The Denon you metioned, for example, does not have this feature. I believe you have to step up to the 2808 to get this feature in the current Denon line-up.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/12998809

Good strategy..

As long as your system has the physical space for the additional components. Also be sure to study closely each AVR as features/technologies/capabilities are changing frequently. Also make sure the target AVR has multi-channel Pre-Outs as many have deleted this feature..

There are not many low cost AV Receivers that have pre-outs, Pioneer being one company that does it ($600 or less). Onkyo 705 has pre-outs. Most else, you are going to pay nearly $800 or more. I may have to re-think this plan. Mmmmmm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This approach seems to be VERY common these days, possibly due in most part to the lack of HBR decoding and full HDMI capabilities in the pre/pro market.

I went from a Rotel RSX-1065 AVR to an Onkyo 805 / Rotel RMB-1075 combo just recently, and so far am content with the results. 2CH sound quality is not quite what it was with the some-would-say modest 1065, but HT is FANTASTIC, especially from HD sources with DD+ or TrueHD.

And like you said, in the future, I can hang onto the amp, and replace the AVR with another one OR a pre/pro that suits my fancy.

In the end, I have FULL featured processing, with very respectable amplification for ~$1500, less than what I paid for the 1065 in 2002. Plus I now have the flexibility that having separate amplification brings to the table.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm considering a V663 Yamaha w/ a Rotel RMB-1066, vs something like the Yamaha V1800.

Not sure which combo would sound better though, and the V1800 would actually be a bit cheaper.

3rd option is a used Rotel RSX-1056 or something that has 5.1 analog inputs. Combined with a BD-50 player, I'd have all the lossless audio options covered.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have an Onkyo 905 with a Sunfire multichannel amp, and an 875 w/ 3 Outlaw monoblocks for my fronts and mains in another room, and I think that, in the current landscape of rcvrs and pre-pro's, it's a great choice.

One advantage to be considered is that you can have the receiver provide juice to your surrounds, and let your outboard amps power the mains and center. This can allow you to pay less for the amps (by not having to get a 5 or 7 channel amp, but instead being able to use monoblocks or 2 or 3 channel amps). Personally, I think that letting the rcvr power your surrounds is the most cost-effective and sensible approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts