AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved into a new construction home and I'm already regretting not paying the extra money for 9ft basement ceilings.

The area in my basement that I would eventually like to use for my dedicated theater has the main trunk lines running nearly down the center of the room, which essentially takes my 8ft ceilings to 6'10" before finishing. I'm sure it is done for the ease of install as well as it is the most efficient set up for the HVAC system as a whole.

What I would like to do is relocate the HVAC to the edges of the room and create soffits to hide them and creating good headroom in a majority of the room.

What are the pros/cons of relocating HVAC from their originally installed locations. I don't want to effect my efficiency or drastically effect any monthly heating/cooling costs just for the theater. Below is a picture of my space I'm working with an a proposed concept drawing another member (thanks Tedd!) has already drawn up. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The only comment my build superintendent gave me when questioned about this issue was "It's not recommended."

Ryan

·
Registered
296 Posts
You want as few bends in the delivery line as possible. That may stand true for the return line as well. The other thing to consider is the length of each run coming off the trunk line. If you increase length and add turns, you'll need later duct work and a unit that can push more air. This is coming from a guy who ripped out every inch of ductwork and replaced it with larger ducting, a larger furnace and larger A/C unit about a year ago.

The stuff the builder puts in is essentially the minimum, ace could stand to be improved upon without adding turns and length to the runs. My guess is to do the right way, that you'll end up relaxing a bunch of the runs from 5" or 6" duct to 7" or 8" duct, and will likely need a unit capable of moving a lot more air.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Reactions: Rjloper9

·
Registered
296 Posts
*larger, not later

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,168 Posts
As mentioned, lengthening runs and adding bends does increase resistance to the airflow and will reduce your system efficiency. You have to ask is a 5% increase in your Heating/cooling bill worth considering for a decent home theater? Not saying it is 5% and I'm not sure there are many in the HVAC industry that could calculate it accurately for you. Could be less or more.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Is it possible to reduce the amount they hang down by 6 inches or so to give it a "lower profile"? Honestly, 6" more headroom would be great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts