AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want an hdtv, but I don't want to spend a lot. There's a new proscan tv (32LB45Q) item # 427872 at costco.com for $399.99. Is this an ok tv to buy? It's the only 32" 1080p that costs less than $450.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought the ProScan 37" model at Best Buy for $399. The sale price lasts until next Saturday.

This model is only 1080i not 1080p. I don't know about the 32" version. This was good enough for me since it is just doing DTV HD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you go with the 32" Proscan? I've been looking at this to possibly use as a computer monitor, but am hesitant since the highest resolution isn't 1920x1080. Worst case with Costco, I guess I could buy it and return it if the max resolution is the listed 1600x1200.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfZombie /forum/post/17061382

Did you go with the 32" Proscan? I've been looking at this to possibly use as a computer monitor, but am hesitant since the highest resolution isn't 1920x1080. Worst case with Costco, I guess I could buy it and return it if the max resolution is the listed 1600x1200.

I haven't seen that particular TV, but in general when specs say "PC input" or "PC resolution", they are talking about the analog VGA input. In most cases, you won't want to connect your PC that way, but rather should use the HDMI input (from your PC's HDMI or DVI output). The important spec is the native panel resolution, which in this case is claimed to be 1920x1080 with 178deg viewing angles. If the viewing angle spec is correct (they often are not), then this may be a nice IPS panel (made by LG?) inside this inexpensive TV, which could be a very good deal if the electronics and firmware are not too bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to turn off overscan in this TV?

I'm using it with the PC (ATI 5770 video card), HDMI-HDMI cable.

I can compensate the size of the pictore with scaling on the PC side but I'm losing the pixel match then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can vouch for the looks of this TV. It seems the display panel is relatively high quality. The picture is great, once you tweak the color settings from the blind-your-eyes floor model default. I can also vouch for the 178deg viewing angle - it looks fine as far wide/hi/lo as you could see. If it's not an LG panel (or other reputable brand), then I would be surprised.

There is a little clouding in the backlighting on fully black screens, but not enough to drive me nuts. My Samsung A630 looks a decent bit better, but I'm still tweaking the colors on this one.

I can't speak for the longevity of the product, I actually just set it up tonight. I also can't speak for what it looks like as a computer display/monitor. But if anyone comes by wondering if it's worth the price, I'd say it sure is. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts