AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but the RCA 38310 is! WTF! I confirmed this with RCA after they had called me back in reference to a complaint I had about the possible obsolence of this set.

When talking to him about the componnent video jack, he stated that it does not accept progresive scan, but the RCA does. My question for him was "Then why are you giving me a free progressive scan DVD player"

His response was that they are aware of the error and have no plans for fixing it.

Thats it! The set is going back to Brandsmart today!

I have to decide on the 55' Mitsubishi or the RCA 38310.

UGH!!!!!

------------------

Why did I just spend $3000 on this thing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading your post (and being surprised by it) I decided to call Thompson and get an answer directly from them. I spoke to a "Wayne" in the "New Technology" department and was told that the ProScan 38000 and the RCA 38310 have identical component in hardware and they both support progressive scan signals. He went on to add a whole bunch of confusing words like Synch scan and others that I tuned out because they made no sense to me. He refered me to this bit of relevant info on the RCA 38310 description which also applies to the proscan 38000.

In re video inputs...

1 set SYNCROSCANâ„¢ HD component video inputs (Y-Pr-Pb) allows for connection of regular-or progressive-scan DVD players or component-output cable boxes.

My Proscan documentation mentions the same SYNCHROSCAN component input, leading me to believe that you got some screwy information.

I like the 38000, it is a nice little 16x9 TV. But it sounds like you aren't sure about your purchase. By all means return it if you don't like it. $3000 is a huge amount of cash to drop on something, you better LOVE it. Though I must say that at $3000 you seriously overpaid for your 38000. I got mine with the stand for just over 2600 and I know folx have gotten them cheaper than that.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the PS 38000 with matching stand 5 year extended warranty for $3000. I believe the price of the actual set was $2298.

Try calling 1-800-RCA-HDTV, they are the ones I called to confirm what the tech from RCA (who called me) said about the input not being able to handle progressive scan. The PS38000 and 38310 sets are not quite the same

I really do love the set and enjoy watching it. I hate that I am going to give it up. I just hope I can be as happy with a RPTV picture as I was with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, thats 1-877-RCA-HDTV

------------------

Why did I just spend $3000 on this thing?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then, this is even more confusing. I called RCA again and they stated that the component input is interlaced only. Not progressive. Why would 3 different people at three different places within Thomson tell me this?

I do trust you and believe that you are running a progressive scan DVD player on your set, but at the same time, I am confused by what RCA is telling me. I called again this morning hoping I would get a different answer. I did not.

My current DVD player is running through the component input. Granted my DVD is not a progressive scan player. Picture is great. Its just that this set seems to me to be already dead in the water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the number I called was 317-415-4151, which was supposedly the Thompson "New Technology" group. I got that number by following a fun phone chain the RCA folx put me through. "Wayne" at that number is the guy I spoke with who assured me that both units use the Progressive Synchroscan HD component inputs. He stated that other than some cosmetic differences the units are the same.

I've now heard two people respond to this thread (here and at Home Theater Spot) that have stated that progressive signals work through the component inputs without a problem.

As for why 3 folx from RCA's help service would say that the Proscan unit is somewhat inferior to the RCA unit, I couldn't say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the PS 38000 with matching stand 5 year extended warranty for $3000. I believe the price of the actual set was $2298.

I just saw this, dang! you actually got a really good price on the TV. I think with my 5 year warranty I paid about $125.00 more. sorry about that, glad to hear you didn't get jacked!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
liltalkm,

Here are two numbers:

1. From Proscan manual: 1-888-903-HDTV

2. New Technology: 1-800-722-9591 (Got this from a customer service rep handling my replacement of the original set which had video dropouts)

Everything I've read has stated these are Progressive Scan or Syncroscan inputs.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can definitely connect an hd source to the component inputs (as stated in the manual). I get my hd through time warner cable through these inputs. It's great.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok! I just got off the phone with Thomson again. I called 317-415-4151 and spoke to Ivan.

He told me that the component inputs will accept a progressive scan signal. As long as the signal from the source is 480p or 1080i. If it accepts a 1080i signal, then I could connect a future HD source to this set? Please help me with this as I do not understand.

I asked him why his other technicians were telling me otherwise and he stated that he would talk to them and set them straight.

First off, thank you to everyone that helped me through this. I was sure that this was the place to come.

Last, if this component input can accept a 1080i signal, does that mean that I could connect a future HD source to this tv?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a similar problem with my RCA MS36100 (Old set discontinued). The component input does not acept progressive scan, but the VGA inputs do. I tried a DVD player through a transcoder into the VGA input - didn't work. All other progressive signals input to the VGA work fine. problem is the DVD player, it does not put out 480p or 720p or 1080i it puts out 525p according to the manual. Look to the DVD player to be sure it's using one of the standards 480p 720p or 1081i. Also sync is important. Anybody wana buy a VGA/compnent transcoder cheap? Post a new topic on this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.