Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what is the average depth of the proscenium behind the screen? (my room is ~23'D X 15'W X 7'H not including behind screen)

How do you get into the rear area to get a speakers etc. if you do not use a perforated screen?

Last but not least, when I calculate the room size to try and get to those preferred dimensions, do I include the proscenium behind the screen?

Thanks for your advice,

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dave, I don't know about the average size of a proscenium , but we usually make our installs about 3ft. Depending on the design of the proscenium and your home, you can access it from the front, rear or side if the surrounding rooms allow it.

Yes, you want to include the area behind the speakers when calculating for Audio. But naturally not for Video(I wonder why) :confused: ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer David,

One more question. What if I have a snack room at the back of the viewing area separated by a wall. In this wall will be a rectangular cut out for viewing from the snack bar area. (not walk through)

1. do I calculate the back room also?

2. will this adversely affect or positively affect sound?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
The "preferred dimensions" and ratios presume a perfectly rectangular room with 100% reflective walls. Once you depart from that, any such calculations are highly suspect and likely inaccurate. Raised platforms, bulkheads, stages, columns and other items invalidate the results as well. For calculating the "volume" of the room for sub-woofer sizing, you must include all areas open to the theater.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dave, As Dennis stated you would want to include the area in question into any calculations your doing. You definitely want to stay away from sqaure room dimensions.(ex. 12x12etc...)

From the main seating position it will not effect it to a great degree, it will sound different in area you mentioned though, just don't expect the same sound characteristics there. David.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One easy way to get access to the speakers when they are placed behind the procenium is to put hinges along the top of the screen and its frame. Then just lift up the screen/frame to crawl into this space whenever the need arises. I got this idea from previous posts and am going to use it when building my screen frame tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dave, Please clarify, must have overlooked your question. Is this true even if your screen is going to be regular vs microperf?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.