AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty up to date a couple years ago on the new prosumer hd cams. The canon xh a1 had my attention. Now I notice there are many more options including different Panny models that seem to be doing well.

I'm lost as which to put my money towards.

models i'm looking at:

Panasonic AG-HMC40

canon Xh a1s

(other recomendations? I know there's lots)

My requirements:

HD (1080p)

Shoots will be in many varied locations (low light, outside, noisy, etc.)

cinematic options (24p?)

Very good sound recording abilities

Basically I need a good all around cam that is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Other options would be the Panasonic HMC150 and the NX5. I would replace the XH-A1s with the new Canon that coming out if your willing to wait. The A1S can only do 1080p modes while everybody else can do multiple 1080 and 720p modes. I'm not sure about the new Canon.

Besides the XH-A1s, another camcorder that I'd skip is the Sony AX2000. It can only do 2 HD modes. 1920x1080 60i and 1920x1080 24p with pull-down added which is embarrassing when even a Canon HF S21 has native 24p.

The HMC40 is an excellent choice if you want to save money although the low-light capabilities aren't as good as something like the HMC40 but with good light, it's most likely the sharpest out of the bunch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/18192847

Other options would be the Panasonic HMC150 and the NX5. I would replace the XH-A1s with the new Canon that coming out if your willing to wait. The A1S can only do 1080p modes while everybody else can do multiple 1080 and 720p modes. I'm not sure about the new Canon.

Besides the XH-A1s, another camcorder that I'd skip is the Sony AX2000. It can only do 2 HD modes. 1920x1080 60i and 1920x1080 24p with pull-down added which is embarrassing when even a Canon HF S21 has native 24p.

The HMC40 is an excellent choice if you want to save money although the low-light capabilities aren't as good as something like the HMC40 but with good light, it's most likely the sharpest out of the bunch.

Thanks for the help.

I guess I'll skip the Canon since it isn't "true" 1080p.

I suppose I'll start looking into the new Canon though. Any idea of release dates/model numbers?

Both the HMC 40 and 150 look like great options. I'll eventually end up with two. : )

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
"aren't as good as something like the HMC40"

I actually meant HMC150 by the way.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I own and use the HMC150. It is a great camera with a ton of options and "pro" features. I would highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
For those that shoot the HMC150, how do you rate the low light performance? I know that is often used incorrectly, but I shoot almost exclusively in low light. I shoot inside home theaters, which are often (by design) light sucking black holes. One theater I went to I ended up unable to even shoot, all black fabric walls, flat black ceiling, etc... even with a light kit I couldn't get enough light in there.

So, if you have other cameras to rate against (and if you have used it in real low light situations), how is the HMC150? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts