AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Not sure this is the right forum, looked through the list and seemed to be the best place, but I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head about securing my TV to the wall where it will make it the hardest/ most time consuming to steal. (I searched and didn’t find anything recent +2 years ago and nothing in any kind of detail).

I recently had a break in and was cleaned out, and since then have taken some of the necessary precautions new locks are on the way, alarm company is coming by this week to do a walk through for a new system. With all of that mostly taken care of I'm looking into wall mounting my TV, haven’t purchased yet, but I'm fairly sure of the size and model I will be getting.

I saw this on Amazon http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nn22u8mhL.jpg and I’m fairly handy and can make something similar at home for a lot less.

I'm also cutting out some drywall to install a new outlet behind the TV and was thinking about running some steel plates/bars behind the wall to bolt the mount to as well. Using the studs as the anchor point and running across behind the TV. (Most universal mounts have several holes that aren’t used).

Also what about rounding out screws and nuts any of you guys do this to make sure its not moving. Again I know this will cause a headache in the future, but as long as the thing is on the wall and not in some asshats house I could care less it takes me a day to remove one bolt. I’ve checked into security screws but, you can just buy the tool to take it out, so not much security there.

I realize this is WAY overkill but I don’t want that feeling of walking in the house and seeing an empty space where all my electronics used to be.

If there is a thread already about something like this sorry for the double post!!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I took a vanilla Omni-Mount and sustituted some security hardware for the screws that attach the bracketry on the TV to the horizontal rails on the wall.

You can find such security hardware at locksmiths and well-equipped home centers. Typically you buy the screws and the matching bit.

It's not much of an inconvenience to fetch the special bit from another part of the house and insert it in a screwdriver handle for use. DON'T store it in the same room as what you are protecting, of course.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Good thought, but I question if it will be of any help. The frustration caused by the various security methods might result in a lot of damage done to the set just trying to get it off the wall quickly. Odds are the insurance will cover the missing unit, I'm not sure about a damaged unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too worried about taking it off the wall quickly, im just concnerned in making it take time to take off. I dont want to just say screw it and leave it as it is and let them take it, i've learned first hand that insurance doesnt make you whole just replaces a small part.. If its damged durring a break in they will still cover it. Even with the coming settlement im still out over 60% of what I lost, and they dont go by retail prices either.

Im not relying on insurance for anything any more.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrick /forum/post/20801498

i've learned first hand that insurance doesnt make you whole just replaces a small part..

You have poor insurance. Shop around for a plan that offers you "replacement cost" for items instead of ACV. The difference in pricing between these two is generally very small.

Anyway, assuming the mount is screwed securely into wall studs and can't be ripped out, you just need a way to attach the TV to the mount itself. Unless you have a security loop on the TV (unlikely) the only strong attachment point are the mounting holes themselves. Try to find some security screws/bolts that fit into the mounting holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.