AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 20K emergency generator for my home and have kept the Media room equipment off of the system for fear of spikes and surges, is there some kind of surge/spike protector for this use or am I only asking for trouble?

Lon

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I ran my system on my 14 KW generator for 5 days thanks to Isabel. No problems. I have only a cheap supressor from Lowes on my HT.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Generators are usually considered to be cleaner sources than the utility.

A surge protector is still not a bad idea. But you'd still just use the same surge protector that you're probably already using.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I was mostly concerned when the auto transfer switch kicks in during power outage and when the power comes back on switching over the transfer switch again

Lon

·
Registered
842 Posts
Solid state or mechanical transfer switch. The latest solid state units

are all zero crossing, and generate no glitches whatsoever.

The old balistic style mechanical transfer switches also work well

as they can typically switch in 4 milliseconds. ASCO makes the

best of this type.

The paired relay setup does generate a fair amount of arc/sparc

when the relays switch.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
use an ups. this will allow the switch to go unnoticed. since you will have the backup.. and time for it to switch over cleanly

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a few second delay while the generator starts, during which you are without power right?

I would put a nice UPS unit on the setup. This way the system will continue to run until everything is switched over, and nothing will go weird. Particularly important if you have a projector with a bulb. If the power is cut, the unit may not resume it's cool down cycle after the power is restored, which would be bad. Not to mention the annoyance of having your amp turn off, and whatever DVD you were watching reset. ;-)

Other issues I've wondered about when switching to backup power. What about airconditioning or refrigerator compressors. Don't they get really grumpy when 'unplugged' and 'plugged' back in without some time passing for the pressures to equalize?

-Jason W

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.