AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am posting "huh??" Cause I want to believe.. but.. .and this is a big BUT....... I am skeptical... heh...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Seens dozens of this sort of thing over the years. Anyone remember RAM Doublers? None of them have ever turned out to be worth much.

I wish the guy luck, but put me in the fiction camp.

·
Registered
423 Posts
who's the one guy who voted "fact"? c'mon, 'fess up!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am undecided so I'll say "huh". I think the total lack of evidence and vague responses on Kyle's part point to fiction. For that, I'm glad someone reported it to the FTC in case he is a fraud. If he's not, he should have no problem.

But I'll reserve judgemnt until his 90 days are up and leave it at "undecided, leaning toward fiction."

jb

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbobbo
who's the one guy who voted "fact"? c'mon, 'fess up!
My guess is that PSIKyle voted that way.

Brian

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I seriously believe there is not a chance in hell they have achieved what they claim.

It would please me to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
PSIKyle and his Protodrive might not make it.

For all intensive purposes I don't think he is a scam. In worst case he is misguided "genius wanna be".

But if we collectively decide that it cannot be done, we are screwed really big way.

I respect Einstein very much, but I refuse to believe that speed of light is the highest in the universe and can NEVER be exceeded.

It is due to lack of my education and my build-in belief that boundaries are made to be taken.

Best.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Count me as a skeptic. I've seen simillar claims over the years on bboards/newsgroups/etc from new vendors claiming miracles and none of them ever materialized.

But hey, ya never know. They did a production run of 16000 according to the other thread. I'll wait for a review on storagereview.com, but I have a feeling we'll not see it there, or anywhere.

Edit: someone actually clicked "fact?" Amazing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by galileo2000
I respect Einstein very much, but I refuse to believe that speed of light is the highest in the universe and can NEVER be exceeded.

It is due to lack of my education and my build-in belief that boundaries are made to be taken.
Trust me, a little education makes it very easy to see that the speed of light in a given medium is the fastest thing possible while remaining within the realm of 4 dimensions (space and time).

Einstein said nothing about what might happen if you could step outside of those dimensions, although I'm sure he would have said "well, then, anything is possible".

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
nabsltd,

It was just an argument for argument's sake totally irrelevant to the poll.

Thanks for clearing it up though.

The point was that if we refuse to accept really small breakthrough from 250GB to 2 Tb being possible, what can we say about really big things?

Once again PSIKyle might not be the person to do it. But someone will do it sooner or later.

As of steppng out of 4 dimensions, it may never happen. But then again, it might.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not so much not accepting small breakthroughs.... someone some day will do 2TB, just not in the ridiculous way the ProtoDrive is supposed to work. Seems like Maxine has voted now too I see.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
Einstein did not proclaim "Trust me, the speed of light is as fast as it gets." He instead said "The speed of light is as fast as it gets, and here is the unequivocable proof!" Kyle has in no way imitated Einstein....;)

Quote:
The point was that if we refuse to accept really small breakthrough from 250GB to 2 Tb being possible, what can we say about really big things?
Old age has turned me into a cynic and a pessimist, and I have learned through the years that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I prefer to be a pessimist, as an optimist expects wonderful things, and is often disappointed at the results, while the pessimist expects the worst, and is often delighted that things turned out better than he imagined.

I really hope that Kyle delivers the goods on this one, but I won't hold my breath waiting. Also, his prices are already way too expensive for what he proposes, and if the technology actually works, by the time it is released it will be worth even less than it is now. C'mon, you mean Kyle doesn't even have one prototype to send to Anandtech or Tom's Hardware for evaluation? :rolleyes:

And as others have already pointed out, breaking the 2 Terabyte barrier is no big deal at all.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
OTOJ (Off topic old joke):

The pessimist looks at the glass as half empty.

The optimist looks at the glass as half full.

The engineer looks at the glass and says, hey, that thing's twice as big as it needs to be.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
There are numerous companies working on tri state and beyond hardware of all types. Binary two state on off 8 bit per byte storage is not as efficient as say tri state 4 bits or less per byte. On off and mid, or on off negative, or whatever. The same information can be stored in half or better the space given a more efficient system than good old antiquated binary.

My guess is this is probably a scam even still, but the technology is in development to accomplish what this company claims by the big players.

Do I think some tiny company with a protobike that doesn't exist but a phone line to order will bring this to us? F*** No!

Imagine a device that operates on 16 levels, equivalent to HEX which is already easy to translate to binary... If each spot on a drive could have 16 readable states it would take only two (spots) to hold the same info that binary takes 8 for... Not counting other overhead that can also be cut down with a newer method. This is probably a LONG way off, but tri or quad state is do-able. Basically it would be an analog way of encoding digital data and could be expanded limited only by hardware's frequency response limits. Your old audio tapes you threw away already were magnetic media encoded with varying levels of intensity and how many discernable frequencies could you hear with your own ears? Break that into steps of frequencies far enough apart for hardware to decode and you're all set to use the same hardware platters and storage density to store multitudes more data.

(I'm an outsider only vaguely aware of what the insiders are working on.) This is not my area of expertise so I'm sure I'm off on my terms and numbers but that is the general idea.

Troy

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the other thread relocated here ... At least the name calling stoped. I voted huh - nothing to excite the day, make Wall Street jump out from 45th story building, and have a whole bunch of execs rip their hair out and swing golf clubs at their buddies, like a good innovation or a technological breakthrough.

Bob, I prefer to be an optimist. Makes life more exciting :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Bob,

I did not compare Kyle to Einstein, far from it. Point was, even "real" boundaries can be taken, or at least I want to believe it.

As of your old age that made you a pessimist, I am sorry, my next project could be a time machine embedded into HTPC, it might do some good for you :D

Agreed on price point, going is $.50/Gb and it is going lower.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.