AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here try out these Protron 37'' LCD's yet? The 37'' is $1,999.99 and the 32'' is $1,299.99 They have a grade A panel and they say these LCD's have a better picture than any Plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Yeah, shop nbc's 'electronics connection' show is very entertaining tv... the host Jim Peterson represents oem's and loves to whine about how his panels are manufactured using grade 'A' glass, and that his tv's are the same ones sold in the stores for thousands more, and that the only differences are the names stamped on the front, and that lcds have better pq than plasmas..and blah, blah, blah.. One of the most entertaining parts of the show is when he begins to slam plasma's saying that his engineers are hard at work trying to save plasma technology from ultimate & certain doom.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
dont get ripped off


They also sell computers for $2000 that cost only $1200 elsewhere
They also say that their computers are the best on the market....where can you get these for $1200 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Cup
They also say that their computers are the best on the market....where can you get these for $1200 ?


Dell would be a start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24
Dell would be a start.
Well, you would not receive the $2700 in software that Jim Peterson 'throws in' ..not to mention the free video camera, (or mp3 player, whatever the free offer is ths month), no free aol (for 6mos) no free printer (replacement cartriges cost 3/4 the price of the printer), did I forget anything?..Oh yeah, your dell wont include an 8 or 9 slot memory card reader either. Also, if you have to call for support you won't be talking to anyone outside our country or, as Jim puts it 'someone with a heavy accent'...He goes on to say that his customer support centers are in silicon valley and Atlanta, Georgia all of which I could care less about. That being said, this shop nbc show is a must watch, just to hear this guy whine & go on & on about how he has the lowest return rate in the industry, and then rip on the national chain stores and then claim he treats people much more fairly by 'throwing in' cables that those chain stores will charge you and arm & a leg for...it's great. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon
Well, you would not receive the $2700 in software that Jim Peterson 'throws in' ..not to mention the free video camera, (or mp3 player, whatever the free offer is ths month), no free aol (for 6mos) no free printer (replacement cartriges cost 3/4 the price of the printer), did I forget anything?..Oh yeah, your dell wont include an 8 or 9 slot memory card reader either. Also, if you have to call for support you won't be talking to anyone outside our country or, as Jim puts it 'someone with a heavy accent'...He goes on to say that his customer support centers are in silicon valley and Atlanta, Georgia all of which I could care less about. That being said, this shop nbc show is a must watch, just to hear this guy whine & go on & on about how he has the lowest return rate in the industry, and then rip on the national chain stores and then claim he treats people much more fairly by 'throwing in' cables that those chain stores will charge you and arm & a leg for...it's great. :D
Dont tell me this, As Dell gives all kinds of free stuff away Software/printers/ Big discounts. Did you know you could get a close to top of the line Dell computer with a top of the line 2005fpw 20.1 widescreen LCD monitor all for the price under $900. Im sorry but all this $2700 in this or that is BS talk. You would do alot better going to Dell. Believe me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24
Dont tell me this, As Dell gives all kinds of free stuff away Software/printers/ Big discounts. Did you know you could get a close to top of the line Dell computer with a top of the line 2005fpw 20.1 widescreen LCD monitor all for the price under $900. Im sorry but all this $2700 in this or that is BS talk. You would do alot better going to Dell. Believe me!
Nascar, I was ridiculing Jim Peterson, the host of the computer show on shop nbc. I think his offers are a joke...I would never buy a pc from shob nbc or dell or anyone else as I use a Mac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon
Nascar, I was ridiculing Jim Peterson, the host of the computer show on shop nbc. I think his offers are a joke...I would never buy a pc from shob nbc or dell or anyone else as I use a Mac.


:eek: lol I didnt reliaze that. I dont either, I build my own, But for someone who only wants to have a computer to get online I would still recommend Dell, Their prices seem to be the best for what you get most of the time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
Z,P,N,V,S are the grades of LCDs. Z is the best and S is the worst. There is no grade "A".
The LCD panels come in grade A,B,C,D.......A is the best
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24
Dell would be a start.
A friend of mine had a dell system and he told me that there was always something going wrong with it. Now he has a HP system....everything is great now.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Thats another problem I have with shop nbc, the fact that they brand thier lcd's with a name thats very close to a reputable mfgr in this case Proton, We've all seen it done before, does anyone here remember 'panasoanic'? The whole thing just smells very bad, it's deceptive, and I won't purchase shop nbc products because of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Cup
A friend of mine had a dell system and he told me that there was always something going wrong with it. Now he has a HP system....everything is great now.....
You can say that about any company, Its technology and there are going to be problems here and there, I have bought about 25 laptops from Dell and a couple needed to be repaired, Bought many Dell desktops for jobs and none of those have ever come back. Heck, I build my own and have had to send motherboards back. Its just the way it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon
Thats another problem I have with shop nbc, the fact that they brand thier lcd's with a name thats very close to a reputable mfgr in this case Proton, We've all seen it done before, does anyone here remember 'panasoanic'? The whole thing just smells very bad, it's deceptive, and I won't purchase shop nbc products because of it.
Huh? How is even Protron close to Panasonic in name? If its close to another company in name, which is it?


The Taiwanese / Chinese market is all about clones. But guess what, everything is sourced there. There are excellent makers and terrible ones.


Some stuff is cheap and wont last too long but it also comes at a cheaper price to the customer. There are all tradeoffs involved here.


The President of Protron is a man by the name of Leo Chen. Mr. Chen served as the Chief Executive Officer of DAIHWA Electronics Ltd. Mr. Chen received an M.B.A. from Columbia University and a B.S. degree from Dong Ji University in Shanghai, China.


Protron is a legitimate company. Its products are also sourced by BestBuy as well as other distributors. If Protron was NOT a legitimate vendor, BestBuy and others would NOT carry their products.


With that being said, quality control varies greatly.


There are terrific smaller brands as well as ****** brands. With generic names the consumer takes the risk. There is no fraud being perpetrated here. It takes awhile to build up a brand successfully but guess what? When it builds the brand the prices go back up and then they are just competing against the big boys so theres no more lower pricing.


Trying to get by using names that sound like other competitors is not anything so terrible. In fact, with most products, everyone tries to copy aspects of a product they are trying to steal marketshare from.


Westinghouse Digital is NOT westinghouse for instance. It licensed the name from Viacom. Yet the people working for Westinghouse Digital are VERY credible people who worked throughout industry (and one of the people actually helped to found VESA as well who graduated from MIT). Thats just one example of many.


Would I buy from ShopNbc? No, because prices are usually very high for more cheaply made goods.


I think if I heard correctly that ShopNBC said that other name brand manufacturers puchase from the same company. I have no way of verifying this. I do know that MANY companies are outsourcing on many models. As to who is making them for Protron, maybe the FCC ID would yield clues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
ajulius, read my post carefully, I never said panasonic and protron, I said protron and proton, two seperate companies with dare I say, very similar names . If you read my post very carefully you won't even see the word panasonic. you will however see panasoanic. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon
ajulius, read my post carefully, I never said panasonic and protron, I said protron and proton, two seperate companies. If you read my post very carefully you won't see the word panasonic. you will see panasoanic. ;)
Even still it doesnt change the argument. Who has heard of Proton in the USA out of the shopnbc viewers. Yes Proton Electronics is a major OEM supplier along with the likes of Kolin, TECO, Tatung and others. There are literally hundreds of OEM suppliers throughout the world.


BestBuy will soon be selling Protron DVD players. This is a legitimate nameplate and company. You cant get major distributors to pick up on a product unless there is credibility because it is VERY hard for manufacturers to get into those stores and distributors. Many of you are familiar with Brillian (a very credible LCOS company). Brillian had a contract with Sears for LCOS tvs. They couldnt supply the TVs in time, so Sears pulled the contract. The demands of getting into a Major store and distributor chains ARE VERY HIGH including financial requirements. No vendor is going to want to get stuck with thousands of these unsold tvs.


For those buying offbrand products through major resellers there is a degree of protection. ShopNBC is not going out of business anytime soon, and neither is its parent company. They offer a 30 day return policy and also offer extended warranties as well.


Looking at the fit and finish of the product on the ShopNBC website, the truth is it actually looks better than some brands which are known credible brands. It seems to just have a Protron or Prosonic (both are the same company apparently) logo slapped on top of it.


If anyone actually knows more about this company, would be interested in hearing as to where the factories are located or which OEMs they are using for production.


Jim Peterson (I take it hes the host of the show) wants to sell products and all sales people by default want to push products and none of them act in our interests. But with that being said, you cant deny the fact that Protron and Prosonic is making its way through MAJOR distributors and stores and it seems to be shipping more and more and selling more and more.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top