AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have looked at lots of statistical data for both Plasma and LCD, in it's latest form, and all the data points to Plasma being a superior technology. Since I have to deal with the common folk everyday where I work, who swear that if LCD had arms it could beat up plasma in a schoolyard brawl, I would like to hear from some engineering types that can prove to me that LCD is at least on par with Plasma.

I know, it may seem as though I am trying to illicit an argument, I am not, it is just that every piece of data I have seen completely disagrees with almost all "LCD is better because..." statements. Additionally, the hostility that these people show me when I even bring up Plasma just seems strange and uncalled for (though I guess I am not here to figure that one out but it certainly bugs me). So, bring on some factual information, seriously, I want to see it so I can lend some credit to at least some of these statements.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/16935733

Ok, so I have looked at lots of statistical data for both Plasma and LCD, in it's latest form, and all the data points to Plasma being a superior technology. Since I have to deal with the common folk everyday where I work, who swear that if LCD had arms it could beat up plasma in a schoolyard brawl, I would like to hear from some engineering types that can prove to me that LCD is at least on par with Plasma.

I know, it may seem as though I am trying to illicit an argument, I am not, it is just that every piece of data I have seen completely disagrees with almost all "LCD is better because..." statements. Additionally, the hostility that these people show me when I even bring up Plasma just seems strange and uncalled for (though I guess I am not here to figure that one out but it certainly bugs me). So, bring on some factual information, seriously, I want to see it so I can lend some credit to at least some of these statements.

There are a few things that lead people to walk off the floor with an LCD over a plasma.

1. On a lit floor the LCD has darker darks Black is Black. Plasma is green gray in a lit room. If you daytime vieew alot as I do LCD is better looking more hrs of the day.

2. LCD is known as easier now. Plasma shot itself in the foot from its older days with shorter life span. Burn rampant like cancer. While mostly not true anymore perception is everything.

·
Banned
783 Posts
Asking which type is better in a specific forum is frowned upon by the high sheriffs in these parts as it generally results in name calling, etc. after a short period of time. The general flat panel forum is for these type fights. Uh, discussions, that is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LCD is cheaper to manufacture, lighter, and less expensive to ship. You can put more of them in a container which significantly lowers distribution costs. It's a moot point at this stage because the propaganda war has already been won by the LCD contingent. Most of the serious reviewers lean toward plasma.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I go with laservue, right now
but between lcd & plasma both, out do each other, every time a new plasma, comes it destroys, lcd, every time lcd comes it almost ties plasma. So plasma, is better but depends on what tv you buy. Mostly every tv out is of good quality, these days even the cheap brands. Thats why it really doesn't matter! pick a tv and be happy

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/16935733

Hostility towards plasma? The hostility the holier than thou plasma fanboys have against anything to do with LCD is revolting. All you are is a plasma fanboy coming in here and trying to justify a technology that is on it's last legs once OLED goes mainstream. If you want some factual information how about being factual yourself and stating the real reason for your post besides the i'm on a fact finding mission nonsense.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Instead of debating the irrelevant, why not focus your time and effort on complaining to the FTC about these B.S. dynamic contrast ratios all the manufacturers use to mislead consumers into buying a mediocre TV.

Not that it's a productive use of time either. The major players in the consumer electronics market, including the Consumer Electronics Association, spend millions every year lobbying the FTC to make sure they look the other way.

You can't go to the media because the CE manufacturers spend millions a year with them advertising so they're certainly not going to spit into the wind to spite their face.

If you could get 1000 to go on line and file a simple complaint, something might happen. There are a lot of people who write in this forum who know I'm right about this and choose to do nothing.

Go figure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
both, of you are missing the point. as of right now the debate, is between plasma, & lcd. which who cares really, but plasma is better until you can prove the technology wrong. & OLEDS, are years, away years, at least for us poor folks.
anyhow I like my tv how about u?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/16937701

...I like my tv how about u?

My 4 year-old 720p D-ILA rear-projection set still works and looks great. I'm sure a new 1080p replacement would look better but since I'm not putting the new and old ones side by side it doesn't matter. But by next fall the next generation of locally-dimmed 60 inch LEDs should be well proven, and that's about when my lamp should need replacing, so...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am referring to the data posted from the flat panel shootout; in which D-Nice and some other forum members participated in. I'll have to find the link to the page b/c as of right now I can't remember which company put it on. Also, using most of the published findings for each television made by professional calibrators in similar shoot-outs by C-NET and a handful of others. The only thing that I could find is that some LCD's excel in the rendering of "Super-White", IRE levels between about 242-256.

I guess this really is all moot, there is not much of a point comparing the two when there is a wealth of data out there. It just makes me wonder why both LCD owners, where I live, seem to so emotionally invested in the technology. The mere mention that plasma might be better for someone's application, again where I live, is like insulting their mother, it's quite ridiculous. It most likely goes both ways but more often than I see it with LCD owners here and all over the web. Again probably just a generalization or regional phenomenon in this case; then again most of these people are the same people that think that the new Samsung LED TV's are an entirely new form of TV, with nothing to do with LCD.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok, so the plasma people say that plasma has a more realistic look. They feel the pop and processing (120 refresh rate) on LCD look fake. I disagree. If you watch blu-ray movies you should buy a LCD tv. Most of the special effects like on the movie watchmen or on a animation movie pop and just simply give wow factor. You won't find that on plasma. Even though plasma might have better blacks, they have horrible whites. Plasma can't match the pop and whites given by the current back lighting of the current LCD tv's.

Now if you are old school watching your 480p dvd's and the majority of your television is standard definition go with plasma! If you are looking for a wow factor that some may say looks artificial go with LCD. You can also change the refresh rate to a custom look, have less or more an artificial look to your needs or none at all.

Plasma has better blacks.

Plasma fading, half life make me nervous

LCD better whites.

LCD better processing for blu-ray.

LCD wins for my uses.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/16938694

I am referring to the data posted from the flat panel shootout; in which D-Nice and some other forum members participated in. I'll have to find the link to the page b/c as of right now I can't remember which company put it on. Also, using most of the published findings for each television made by professional calibrators in similar shoot-outs by C-NET and a handful of others. The only thing that I could find is that some LCD's excel in the rendering of "Super-White", IRE levels between about 242-256.

I guess this really is all moot, there is not much of a point comparing the two when there is a wealth of data out there. It just makes me wonder why both LCD owners, where I live, seem to so emotionally invested in the technology. The mere mention that plasma might be better for someone's application, again where I live, is like insulting their mother, it's quite ridiculous. It most likely goes both ways but more often than I see it with LCD owners here and all over the web. Again probably just a generalization or regional phenomenon in this case; then again most of these people are the same people that think that the new Samsung LED TV's are an entirely new form of TV, with nothing to do with LCD.

Dude, give it up and go back to the plasma forum. You're not very good at this. But nice try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what's there to prove wrong?

you go to a store, you look at said tv, you compare said tv with other tvs, you pick the tv you think is the best, you buy it, you enjoy it.

why do we need to "prove" that plasma or lcd is better or blah blah blah?

it's your own choice/preference.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ Good point; some tempers are beginning to rise so it is probably a good idea to end this thread. I'll go back to the Plasma forum and "Flat Panel Tech" forums, it seems safer, j/k.

Also, sorry I didn't give you guys the tech data, I do have most of the .pdf's on my computer. While I doubt anyone cares enough to read it, I did intend to provide this data in the thread, however, it does seem that this thread would be best ended where it is now.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It is simple. Neither technology is inherently better than the other.

LCD has more pop and looks better in a room with more light.

Plasma looks best in an environment that has controlled lighting. This reduces issues with screen reflections and enhances the natural colors that plasma is famous for.

Most of the decision evolves around how you like a picture to look. Plasma gives a more traditional picture, with excellent color rendition. LCD will look razor sharp and colors will pop off the screen.

The newer 120/240 hz technologies available on LCDs can make film look sharper and more like video. If you like this effect, LCD is your top choice. If not, plasma is a good alternative.

Some make this a battle of good vs evil. I see it as selecting the type of image reproduction you prefer. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The buzzing from the plasma in my personal jet at altitude was very annoying.

Didn't you start a troll thread yesterday based on not knowing the definition of a millisecond?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.