AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an RCA DTC-100 and also a Telemann HiPix. The HiPix works *GREAT* as a recorder, but after using it for awhile, I noticed that its tuner performance was not quite as good as the DTC-100 on weak signals. This was very important in my case because I am located 32 miles from the Los Angeles transmitters, masked by a large range of mountains, and confined for practical reasons to using an indoor antenna. (RCA ANT-200)

With my two weakest stations being right on the edge of not working with the DTC-100, the slightly lower sensitivity of the HiPix caused these channels (KCOP and KCAL) to be erratic or totally unusable on the HiPix (signal strength less than 28 on the HiPix). Both receivers were tested using exactly the same RF input cable, so I decided to try a little amplification to see if this could improve the situation.

Of course, in the digital world a CLEAN signal is often far more important than a strong one, so I knew that any amplification must be done with great care. There are a lot of cheap RF amps out there, but most of these are very poorly shielded and also add about as much noise and "tilt" to a signal as they do amplification. What I needed was a very well shielded, high gain, very low noise, RF amp.

Several days ago, I added a Channel Vision CVT-15PIA RF amp to the output of my antenna. It provides +15dB gain with very low noise and flat response to 1GHz. What a difference! The weak channels now work perfectly with the HiPix and the DTC-100 is more solid than ever.

I got my CVT-15PIA from ASIHome.com. They had it in stock and I found their service and price ($78 including shipping) to be outstanding. You may be able to find a better amp or vendor, but I would highly recommend this product and retailer based on my happy experience with them so far. Highly recommended!

(I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned above in any way whatsoever.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.