AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Proxima ds2 a good projector. It's mentioned but I can not find any reveiws or comment's for this projector. Also would the Davis dl450 clones or the proxima ds2 be a better projector? I'll be using it for 50% dvd, 50% tv.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bit the bullet and bought one! $1357.00 shipped, hope this is a decent pj.

Jayson

·
Registered
21 Posts
I received one from my father as a gift. It is a very good entry level projector. I have it hooked up to a PC for DVD, and the RCA DTC-100 for HDTV and it works great. I like it because there is no screen door, great size... 4lbs. The only problem I find is that there is a halo around the edge of the screen, to much light around the border. I fixed the problem with a HC Dalite screen and Black masking. I feel it would be a great purchase for under $1500 crowd.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Thanks, Johnny. Did its colors appear OK or faded. The problem with DLP is less saturated colors which should be made up by higher contrast and brighter lumens. I'm sure it won't stack up to LT150 but for 1/2 the price it may get a lot of folks into FP HT. Halos unfortunately are common with DLP due to light spills. As you said masking helped. I have a budget LCD which has no light spill but I still masked to improve contrast. Anyone else tried the DS2?

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huey, Thank you for the link. I'd looked high and low for a review but couldn't track one down. Sounds like it should be a good newbie projector. If anyone is interested the price was from a CNET.com search and the price was good while supplies last! And yes once I get my hands on the unit I'll post my opinion!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Here is a review I found on Google search: www.presentations.com/techno/display/2000/11/30_pr_kiss.html#ds2 . Looks decent to me. Heck for $1350 you can't lose; except bulbs are $500/2000 hr which is still better than the LT150 1000 hr for $500. Please let us know how you like it once you've received it as there are a lot of po-folks that will be interested in this low-priced projector. Thanks.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I watched the Twins play last night on DirecTV's HDNET... all I can say is the baseball game in HD was awesome on this projector. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well bad news, the proxima is out of stock! so order has been cancelled. now back to square one. any other suggestions LCD or DLP? Is the Canon lv-5100 any good? Please help!

Jayson

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think the Canon is rated highly but it's SVGA LCD which means screen door is likely unless you're further than 15 feet from screen. It has component built in so no special converter cable needed (just standard component cable). Proxima DS2 is available at other sites: http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/res...153.sort.price

which one did you order from? Stay away from Infinity Micro and LA Computer Center as they have poor reviews from customers of www.pricegrabber.com . Did you try www.compu-america.com/cnet.html?sku=777210 ? They claim they have it in stock for $1325 + $31 S+H. If you were going to consider another choice, I'd recommend LT85 SVGA DLP for $1750 or LT150 XGA DLP for $2350. The LT85 is about the same price as the Canon LV5100 and I would bet my money on the LT85 as it has the same engine as LT150 except for SVGA panel. SVGA DLP has less screen door than SVGA LCD and more comparable to XGA LCD. Good luck.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Compu-America is who said they are out of stock. there web page says they have them but it has not been updated, or atleast that's what they said when I called the 800#. They wanted to subsitute the infocus lp260 for $100.00 extra. So my search starts agian. I've considered the Davis DL450 clones, the Canon LV-5100(lcd), the Nec LT85, and the Infocus LP425z. Are there any others in this price range that should be considered? What's the best in this price range? I'm open to all suggestions.

Jayson

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sony VPL-CX1, I have one and love it. It only has 550 lumens but is fine if room darkened (brightness can be enhanced with hipower screen or tile board--homemade hipower screen). You can search for my photos of the Sony on tile board in this forum from last week. Just beware that LCD can have dead pixels even brand new (bright dots here and there on dark scenes). If you do go with LCD make sure you get an XGA as SVGA LCD will have too large a pixel (more screendoor), unless it has MLA or depix. lens. Personally for the $1700 I would go with the LT85. The Proxima is a great deal at $1350, if you can get one. The Davis clone should be good too and may have longer life bulbs (6000 hr?). It's kinda noisy though so hushbox is helpful. My Sony is pretty quiet. It sounds like a PC noise level wise. I'm holding out for LT150 once it gets close to 2K--hopefully at end of Oct. when quarter ends and company want to boost sales. I just want to see what all the hype is about with this LT150. Heck even DILA owners are respecting this little devil so it must be pretty good :) Remember LT85 is EXACTLY the same machine as LT150 except for the SVGA panels so you just have to sit a little further back and HDTV won't be as crisp due to less TV lines.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huey

If memory serves me correctly the sony can,t be hung from the ceiling! is this the case?

Jayson

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That's correct. It can't flip the image. I have mine on a shelf against the back wall 54" from floor. I have it angled downward about 15 degrees to get image off ceiling. I sit below it on couch. There is some keystoning but it's not bothersome. If you mask it keystoning is not visible. It's an XGA so screendoor from 13 feet where I sit is not seen. It can be seen if less than 10 feet. There is software which can flip an image when using HTPC but then you're screwed for set-top-box sources. Plus, there is no screws underneath of projector to mount to ceiling.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.