AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A gentleman in my area is selling the aforementioned FP for $3500CAD. The specs seems good, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the experts on this group.

This will be my first front projection system and I would appreciate some opinions on the pros and cons of this model. Tweaking is something I can live with...in fact, I suspect it's pretty much mandatory for any system. However, what kind of quality output should I expect from this projector when coupled with my ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder?

Here's a link to the Proxima website that detail the projector's specs: http://www.proxima.com/site/Products...fm?Title=A6%2B

I know that paper specs don't always tell the full story, though. Also, will 650 lumens be sufficient output to cope with some ambient light or would I need a totally darkened viewing area?

Thanks everyone,

Myles

· Registered
5,574 Posts
I don't think that is a very good deal.

You can get some brighter and better machines for less. For example, the NEC VT540 is a favorit on this forum. It has 1000 lumens and supports HDTV. I have seen it for less than $3kUS.

In DLP machines, the Infocus 340 goes for around $2700 NEW. (It is only SVGA but is DLP, and has 1300 lumens.) Not to start a flame war, but many people believe that DLP looks better than LCD for HT use.

I suggest looking around a bit more. IMHO.

· Registered
326 Posts
NOt a good deal. I agree with the above poster - $2900 (or much LESS)for a refurbished VT540 with one year warranty. 1000 ansi lumens (conservative - has been tested at almost 1100), 400:1 contrast ratio, ALL HDTV formats, digital anamorphic squeeze, completely configurable image (ceiling, floor, or rear mount), VERY quiet, up to 3000 hours bulb life, short-arc bulb which doesn't lose brightness (as much) over the life of the bulb, only 8 pounds, very easy to use, good remote...the list goes on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.