AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find out what kind of clearance I need from the screen to a heat source. In my case, it will be a fireplace insert. With the glass doors closed, how close can I hang the screen? It will probably be a Model B or C w/csr and HCMW fabric.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I would say at least 6 feet. I have a woodstove and I put up a Parkland that was glued to a 2 inch foam panel. It pealed off in a weeks time at the side nearest the heat source (3 feet away). Stoves put off a lot of radiant heat and I would never put a regular screen anywhere near a burning insert or stove. I'm sure it would be "wrinkle city" in a short time and would move and sway with the heat. Many of the screens are fiberglass backed.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speaking of heat source, I'm set up with a hot air register in the ceiling about 3 feet away from my screen. My screen is just a painted wall so melting or drying wasn't a concern, but I've noticed that when the furnace is running you can see "heat waves" as the hot air mixes with cold. On a white background it's quite noticable. It's not for long periods of time and on a darker movie you don't see it, but it could be something to consider for other users.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.