AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you ever make some proper height stands. Should be around 26.5" tall for proper tweeter height. I can see why your having problems with speakers so low to ground. I made stands easily for my Cat8s out of 2x4 and MDF board.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to hear from you again, akbash. I haven't as ive been waiting to find out from mark how close I am to getting the stands built. I was going to quickly build something but then we got hit with more winter weather, water lines broke, and my sis had her first child, so been pretty preoccupied with other things. haha.

You mentioned the tweeters should be 26.5" high? Mine currently are 25.5" high right now on the temp blocks I have them on. I was assuming the stands would put them roughly 36" high (about ear level). Did you mean 36.5" tall?

By the way, when I listen to music and watch movies in direct mode (no eq'ing) it definitely sounds much better than with it on. I may simply run these w/o any eq if I cant get things satisfactory with it. I figure though that I should be able to get some benefit and flattening of response with eqing since my room is by no means perfect acoustically.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When i said 26.5" high that would be top of stand that is what Marks stands are built at for height. The Cat 8s are 28" high so tweeter is 14" at middle of speaker. So roughly 40.5 " tweeter height when Cat 8 is sitting on top of stand.

Read over Audyssey set up guide maybe there is something you are doing when setting up Audyssey causing your problems. Try to take care of first reflection points. I am still learning all about this too have tons to learn.

When you run Audyssey the mic should be at ear level your speakers are way to low for ear level so if you had the Audyssey mic at ear level no wonder you are having problems.

A omni mic would be a very useful tool down the road for you. Then you can really see whats going on.

Another thing i just noticed with your picture set up it looks like you have the Cat8s sitting farther back than your center channel they should be a least in line with center channel or probally just past your tv stand getting away from reflections from your stand.

Just post in the right thread what you have for speakers and equipment there is lots of people on here that can help you with set up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i am hoping the height is throwing off audyssey, but my center channel is at ear height and audyssey is doing the same with that as well. So I'm wondering...

I did test pulling my l and r ahead more too as i had similar line of thinking as you did. It really didnt solve the issues so now I'm pretty much waiting for proper stands.

I'm pretty familiar with the dos and donts of audyssey calibration, and i use a boom mic stand, but there is always a chance I'm doing something that is throwing it off but we need to rule the height issue out first and go from there I'm thinking. My room isnt condusive to put acoustic panels at the first reflection points since i have a fireplace one one side, but i have a sofa on the other hat can act somewhat as a form of absorption. I also have bass traps in the corners of my room to help with room response.

Your feedback and input to help me correct the issue is much appreciated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am deciding to stick with my energy veritas speakers for now to save a bit of money. I have adjusted the price, so this is an absolute steal. If there are no takers within the next couple of weeks then i will return them to Mark.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am deciding to stick with my energy veritas speakers for now to save a bit of money. I have adjusted the price, so this is an absolute steal. If there are no takers within the next couple of weeks then i will return them to Mark.
I do agree it's a very good deal on a great set of speakers, but why oh why couldn't the finish be the espresso? Like this guy:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you see in my pics, the Red Cherry actually goes pretty well with a darker wood decor (like my stand). Just sayin! :cool:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never tested my actual in-room response, but they are rated for 65Hz - 20,000Hz as they are meant to be paired with subs.

Below are the details from Mark's website.

Catalyst 8C Powered Loudspeaker
  • Internally tri-amplified (500W-350W-150W) loudspeaker
  • 115V/230V selectable, appropriate PowerCon power cord for destination address is included.
  • 8" coaxial midrange w/Neodymium magnet 1" HF driver
  • dual 8" sealed woofer
  • Intended operating range: 65-20,000 Hz

I am sure someone from the Seaton Sound Speaker Thread can provide more details.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1163005-official-seaton-sound-speaker-thread.html

·
Premium Member
14,850 Posts
The reason I asked was I have heard the full range DSP setting on the cat12c's and it was downright ridiculous. I wouldn't expect the cat8's to get down quite like that but even if they are halfway there, it would be quite impressive.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, i agree. I am not aware of such a full-range dsp setting for the Cat8s, but I will post it on the forum and see if anyone can confirm.

·
Premium Member
14,850 Posts
Yes, i agree. I am not aware of such a full-range dsp setting for the Cat8s, but I will post it on the forum and see if anyone can confirm.
I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't have a "true" full range DSP for them as that would be asking a LOT from a pair of sealed 8's, but perhaps there is one that gets them good down to say, 30hz or so!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark just replied to my question to clarify this within the Seaton Speaker Thread - **The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread**

Per Mark...
The OUT program offers a 35Hz extension mode. I first did this for a customer using these as 2 channel speakers in a nice office, and we also listened to the speakers in this way when the guys at HT Shack gave them a listen as a straight 2 channel pair. 2 sealed 8" woofers per speaker do have practical output limitations. This works great for small room 2 channel use at fun levels, but nothing like the silliness that goes on at the east coast GTG's. :rolleyes: If pushed hard in the full-range mode with deep bass, eventually the woofer and amps will make some sounds of distress.

·
Premium Member
14,850 Posts
Mark just replied to my question to clarify this within the Seaton Speaker Thread - **The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread**

Per Mark...
The OUT program offers a 35Hz extension mode. I first did this for a customer using these as 2 channel speakers in a nice office, and we also listened to the speakers in this way when the guys at HT Shack gave them a listen as a straight 2 channel pair. 2 sealed 8" woofers per speaker do have practical output limitations. This works great for small room 2 channel use at fun levels, but nothing like the silliness that goes on at the east coast GTG's. :rolleyes: If pushed hard in the full-range mode with deep bass, eventually the woofer and amps will make some sounds of distress.
The "silliness" he refers to at the east coast g2g's, yea, I have a little something to do with that usually :) So he is basically saying I could potentially run into their output limits, which are quite high and I knew that already anyways :D I am very happy to see the "Out" program has extension good to 35hz. The catalyst (either version) is an absolutely incredible speaker. They are in my top 3 so far in all my listening. I wish I had a place I could put these and I would do it :D

Anything below 50Hz should be sent to the subs unless you want it purly for musical 2 channel setup.
Yup, perfect though for 2 channel music or casual "living room" type movie watching even. Not above reference.... Gotta have a sub for those dedicated bass-heads like you and I!

·
Registered
279 Posts
what kind of tv stand is that? it looks like that emotive amp fits in there quite well. i cant even fit my onkyo 809 in my current tv stand

1 - 19 of 19 Posts