AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading as much as I can find about the PowerPlants and am wondering if someone can help me out. Most, if not all reviews I've read test the P600 or P300 with 2-channel music. Are the benefits that most people seem to find applicable to 5-channel audio with DVDs? Sorry if this is a silly question, but all of this is way out of my league.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on whether I should notice any benefits with my current setup which includes a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 watt amp (x5), Sunfire Theater Grand PreAmp (the original v1), EAD TheaterVision P DVD player. Speakers are Canton Ergos.

Thanks for any advice/comments.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I think you will hear and see benefits even for home theater with your components with a P600. That's most certainly my experience in my home theater!!!!

However, you should plug your amplifier direct to a dedicated at least 20 amp wall outlet if you can, and use a quality power cord. I use a Granite Audio power cord for this, solid 10 guage construction, ProGolded when made, toroids each end for high frequency noise filtering but no effective current limiting. The amp is too much power draw with the P600 and my experience is that it would be current limiting, or more appropriate wordwise dynamic limiting.

If you want some good info on where to get some good deals on any of this stuff, e-mail me.

You will LUV the P600!!!! One of the very best tweaks for the buck in my opinion. Works great with front end components.

What do you have for your video display???? Depending on its power usage, you might be able to plug it in to the P600, too (one must be careful - many front projectors pull too much current to use a P600, but some don'r; I use a P600 for my Dwin HD-700 CRT Projector).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve-

Thanks for the quick reply. My projector is a Sony 1272. I was planning to get a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for this since it is quite a distance from where the P600 will be located.

I'm curious about the amp issue. The folks at PS Audio said the 600 would be able to handle the amp & pre-amp with no problem. If I'm not able to plug the amp into the 600 then I should probably be going with a 300 since it will only need to power the pre-amp and DVD player.

Jay

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi Jay,

I have PS600 myself and I have Krell FPB300c and Theta Dreadnaught 5 ch.

I can plug my Surround processor(Theta Casanova), Cd/DVD player and a Krell FPB300c it.

PS 600 won't be able to handle the Dreadnaught, especially if 5 channel is on.

However, when The Krell is doing it's peak performance sometimes the PS 600 will shut down. It is because the Krell is taking too much power.

Just one advice, It is better to plug your sunfire to the wall.

I have to sent my PS 600 to the factory because I overloaded it with the Krell, after a while it won't turn on anymore.

If incase you want to use the PS for preamp aand a dvd player PS300 should be enough.

Right now, I am using my PS 60 only for my surr proc, my DVD/CD player and Projector.

I hope that helps

mario

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Get the 600. Seriously. It handles soooo much more power, a good amount more than double what the P300 will handle. The 600 will dissipate the heat with its large heat sinks better, too. You won't be sorry. My impression is the 600 sounds better than the 300 for this very reason.

How many watts rating is your projector? If its 500 to 600 watts the P600 will likely be able to handle your projector along with your DVD player and preamp!!!

The Ultimate Outlet is one idea. One I never went for, because you need a power cord on each side, projectors like amplifiers like POWER, and the two extra connections using an Ultimate Outlet in between may limit current a bit but more importantly, the Ultimate Outlet is between the power cords and as I've demonstrated in my own system, high frequency noise gets into the power cord on its way from the P600 to the component or projector. I say this because my solution to this was the Granite Audio power cords from the P600 to my components and projector, as they have toroids at each end for high frequency noise filtering. When I initially demod them back in Feb. 2001, I didn't think they'd do much more than the Harmonic Tech cords I already had. I was WRONG!!! The theory being that

high frequency noise, whether in the air from power lines near my home or from components in my system or backwashing down power cords from other components, or from wherever, gets into that clean power coming out of the P600 and needs to be filtered out for better performance before the current enters the component or projector. By the way, if you're into the idea of a better power cord for your projector, I've talked Don of Granite Audio into offering a home theater power cord with lengths of 20' or 25' at hardly any more than his regular size cords, as sort of a loss leader, to benefit forum members. Sort of interesting that PS Audio made a limited run of the Ultimate Lab Cable, which retailed at like $1500 but had the toroid/balun at its center and was all hardwired, with enthusiasts noting better performance than using an Ultimate Outlet. But thats a lotta bucks, a lot more than I've spent on my Granite cords (I admit I don't pay lit - what, am I stupid? - but you don't have to, either!).

I'm not saying the Ultimate Outlet isn't an excellent product. Just not one I chose to use in my system. I've been learning its better to keep it simpler, less cords, less connections.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve/Mario-

Thanks for your replies. My projector consumes 540 watts. Think the P600 will handle that + prepro + DVD? Do you actually notice a difference with your projectors?

One other concern that is bugging me after calling Sunfire, is that the tech I talked to highly discouraged me from using any of the multi-wave frequencies. He seemed to know the P600 and said he liked everything about it except for the fact that you could select frequencies about 60 hz. He basically said the higher the frequency the more likely I would be to burn out ****(don't recall if it was transformer). Any thoughts on this?

I'm really starting to feel like I jumped the gun when ordering this (it arrives Friday).

Jay

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
The tech at Sunfire is simply making assumptions based on lack of knowledge. He's a tech, right, not the design engineer? This sometimes happens. I wouldn't worry about it, provided you don't hook up the amplifier to the P600.

I think the P600 will handle your projector and other two components fine. But first, check the power usage rating on your surround processor - how many watts does it use???

Get a $10 hardware store long power cord for now and use it with the projector and P600. If that works well, then odds are something like a Granite Audio power cord would even work better for the projector.

You should have a thirty day refund guarentee with your dealer on the P600.

As for Multiwave, you'll need to run either 60 Hz Sinewave or PS2 Multiwave (square wave) with projector as it has fans. Try both and see and hear how they look and sound with your system.

I think you'll likely be quite happy with the P600. But let us know.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve-

I didn't have as much time to play this weekend as I had hoped, but I was able to spend a few hours with P600 & so far so good. I've been running my projector, prepro & DVD player through the P600 and it seems to be able to handle all three without a problem. I've discovered that the watt meter cannot be trusted though as with all three running it only registers around 130-150! Interestingly, I first tried the prepro & DVD player with my Sunfire amp & the highest the meter ever got with that was around 80.

The P600 makes a noticeable difference with the projector -- there is clearly more depth & the blacks do seem blacker. The image is similar to what I have noticed late at night. I always attributed it to the tubes just warming up longer, yet now I believe that it really does have something to do with fewer people drawing electricity late at night.

Audio-wise, the sound field on CDs appears deeper although the effect is less obvious than it is with video images. It was more apparent after I did ssome A/B testing with/without the P600. Truth be told I've spent the least amount of time listening to music.

I'm kind of the ongoing joke around the office & with my friends about my "electricity cleaner", but I'm thoroughly pleased with what I've seen so for. I feel like I've now pushed my gear to about as good as they can get before upgrade fever strikes again.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Don't forget to also try the PS2 Square Wave (Multiwave) which is safe for your projector with a fan. For me it improved the picture even more.

I have always found the power meter on the Power Plants to be quite inaccurate as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.