AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use either of the ac regenerators? Looking for user feedback.

My voltage dips down (according to my Panamax 5400) often to 114-115v....wondering how the regulation and regeneration would affect my system. Thinking I could run everything but my projector and JL Sub off one.

PS Audio's website is pretty informative, and PurePower's just states how their product is better than P.S. Audio.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Is 114V an issue? Only 6 V down from 120, right?

In any case, the one product I looked up seemed awfully pricey, if you basically want voltage regulation. You can get that done for cheaper. I understand the very expensive unit I looked at regenerates power, but is that worth the price?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19532221

Is 114V an issue? Only 6 V down from 120, right?

In any case, the one product I looked up seemed awfully pricey, if you basically want voltage regulation. You can get that done for cheaper. I understand the very expensive unit I looked at regenerates power, but is that worth the price?

I guess that's what I'm asking. We have a wide range of av enthusiasts here, so I thought someone may have tried some of these out. 6 volts different, and clean power. Reviews say the difference isn't subtle, but I don't really trust professional reviews so that's why I posted it....

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

you'll likely get a few posts with "raving reviews"... almost all filled with descriptions of "improvement" that aren't possible as a result of inserting this device into the chain...

all of your equipment will easily handle a 6v drop without even knowing it happened...

"clean power" has a whole mythology surrounding it... unless you have a really bad problem (and you'd know it if you did), your power is "clean enough"...

save your money...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
6 volts could make a difference in amp power. How much? I can't know for sure, but let's consider a simple example.

We will assume a 100% efficient amplifier with a 120 Volt supply rail. Power is v*v/r, so power is 1800 Watts. With 114V, we get 1624 Watts. I would call that insignificant.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Side note....I was messing around with my system and played Avatar blu ray at high volume (well beyond where I'd listen)....and my Panamax said I had 2.5 amps output. I had the blu ray player, anthem processor, emotiva xpa-3 amp and 2 upa-1s all plugged into the Panamax. The input voltage was 119 volts. The amps changed when scenes got crazy, but 2.5 was the highest. It actually got up to 3.1 amps during the THX demo at the end of the disc, but it was beyond uncomfortably loud.

Question is: 3.1 amps at 119 volts=368 watts, right?

Does this mean my system at my levels isn't putting out more than 400 watts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.