AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my PS3 to play CDs, but it crapped out last week. In the meantime, I've been trying some other things. I hooked up the old PS2 and it seems to do OK, but nothing really special. Then I found some articles online about how great the PS1 is as a CD player. I know, I'm really late to that party
I'm gonna hook mine up later and give it a listen. Anyway, for those of you who have tried this, how does the PS1 compare to the PS3 for playing CDs?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou /forum/post/19645360

I was using my PS3 to play CDs, but it crapped out last week. In the meantime, I've been trying some other things. I hooked up the old PS2 and it seems to do OK, but nothing really special. Then I found some articles online about how great the PS1 is as a CD player. I know, I'm really late to that party
I'm gonna hook mine up later and give it a listen. Anyway, for those of you who have tried this, how does the PS1 compare to the PS3 for playing CDs?

You know, it's only a very specific PS1 that is reported to sound "good"; the earliest model, with stereo, analog out...and I think only certain models, that had "too good" a DAC for a video game...because Sony didn't really know what else to put in there. IMO, it's all hype and mystique, because it's NOS.

Are you sure you have that model? IMO, the PS3 stinks as a CD player...so if that was your reference, I'm not sure what your expectations would be.

CD

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19645491

You know, it's only a very specific PS1 that is reported to sound "good"; the earliest model, with stereo, analog out...and I think only certain models, that had "too good" a DAC for a video game...because Sony didn't really know what else to put in there. IMO, it's all hype and mystique, because it's NOS.

Are you sure you have that model? IMO, the PS3 stinks as a CD player...so if that was your reference, I'm not sure what your expectations would be.

CD

I think I do have the earliest model....had to drag it out of the basement but I can't remember if it has the analog outs. Guess I'll find out later.

Anyway, all this has got me thinking about something. How much is the player really going to affect my sound when I'm using the optical out (my AVR doesn't have HDMI in for audio)? I would guess that if the player is just sending the digital signal, then my AVR is doing the digital-to-analog conversion? So in theory, the cd player wouldn't matter much? In reality though, there does seem to be a difference. Since my PS3 is on the fritz, I hooked up my PS2 to play some CDs (same optical connection). To me, the PS3 sounded better.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou /forum/post/19645786

I think I do have the earliest model....had to drag it out of the basement but I can't remember if it has the analog outs. Guess I'll find out later.

Anyway, all this has got me thinking about something. How much is the player really going to affect my sound when I'm using the optical out (my AVR doesn't have HDMI in for audio)? I would guess that if the player is just sending the digital signal, then my AVR is doing the digital-to-analog conversion? So in theory, the cd player wouldn't matter much? In reality though, there does seem to be a difference. Since my PS3 is on the fritz, I hooked up my PS2 to play some CDs (same optical connection). To me, the PS3 sounded better.

No offense, my man; but how about a player or transport that isn't an outdated video game console?

CD

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou /forum/post/19645786

Probably a difference in levels. Like you said, the AVR is doing the D/A conversion. shouldn't be any difference in sound at all, unless one of the players is changing the data.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i read it somewhere that PS3 analog out is better than music hall 25.2 dac several weeks ago. Well, I went to get my old PS3 av cable and plug it in. The result is as good as my sony nc555es analog out and is better than HDMI digital out to my 4308 AVR.

PS3 analog out (streaming from PC in Flac format) ~=NC555es (same material in CD) -->4308AVR as preamp -->Odyssey Stratos mono blocs --> Beethoven Concert grand.

PS3 is now my music server.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I gave it a shot last night, and it wasn't too bad. It was different than the PS2, but I was using the optical out on the PS2 and the analogs on the PS1, so I guess that is to be expected. I didn't really listen for a long time, but it didn't seem like anything spectacular. The biggest problem is the wired controllerthe cord is too short to reach my couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneywalker /forum/post/19648890

i read it somewhere that PS3 analog out is better than music hall 25.2 dac several weeks ago. Well, I went to get my old PS3 av cable and plug it in. The result is as good as my sony nc555es analog out and is better than HDMI digital out to my 4308 AVR.

PS3 analog out (streaming from PC in Flac format) ~=NC555es (same material in CD) -->4308AVR as preamp -->Odyssey Stratos mono blocs --> Beethoven Concert grand.

PS3 is now my music server.

I haven't tried the analog out on my PS3; I've always just used the optical, since my receiver won't take the HDMI audio. On the PS2, the optical output seems louder and clearer than the analog.

·
Registered
24 Posts
earlier ps3 (can play SACD) could have the similar analog performance to audiophile grade PS1 which is highly appraised by Stereophile Magazine:

"The PS1's sound was unique in a number of ways. I can't imagine that the audio-only performance of such a product would have been tweaked so carefully, the end impression was of a cannily tailored frequency range—that, and an exceptionally smooth sound, with no edginess or artificial grain whatsoever.Second, the PS1's midrange was remarkably clean, present, and tactile. On Tony Williamson's "Boatman," from Still Light of the Evening (CD, Mapleshade 08952), the guitar fills and G-runs were notably more audible, more nuanced, and more impactful through the PS1 than through Sony's own SCD-777ES SACD/CD player. Amazing. Those qualities extended to singing voices, and with virtually every disc of vocal music I tried. Bidu Sayao's delicate soprano on Villa-Lobos's Bachiana Brasileira No.5, recorded in New York in 1945 (CD, Sony Classical MHK 62355), crossed oceans of time: She was there. Levon Helm's equally wonderful voice on "Little Birds," from his recent Dirt Farmer (CD, Vanguard 79844-2), was simply believable, and astoundingly present—appreciably more so than with the SCD-777ES. The Levon Helm album also allowed the PS1 to show off its fine sense of touch and impact: Not only was the sense of force behind Helm's drumming preserved through the cheap Sony player, but the mandolin and violin players seemed to dig in a little more when heard through the PS1. And throughout You Were There for Me, by Peter Rowan and Tony Rice (CD, Rounder 11661-0441-2), Bryn Bright's upright bass and, especially, Larry Atamanuik's subtle, distantly miked percussion were very impactful—again, markedly more so than with the more expensive deck.******Above all, with every CD I tried, the PS1 exhibited a superior level of rhythmic acuity, or—since it's true that an amplifier or CD player can't make recorded music sound faster or more propulsive than it actually is—a superior lack of the distortions that can blunt leading-edge transients and make music sound temporally dull and listless. Even slow, broadly paced music sounded involving through the PS1: the best and truest praise I could give it."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts