AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I got spoiled by my PS3, but when I tried to play a PS2 game on my PS2, the graphics seemed really bad. On a standard TV, I didn't notice any problem. It looked nice.

But, I noticed that the picture doesn't fill the entire frame of the TV (changed the aspect and even tried Zoom, and that didn't seem to work).

Is that normal? I think this was the first attempt at playing a PS2 game since I got my new TV.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
There are only a few PS2 games that are actually 480p. Even fewer are actually in a widescreen ratio. Since most games are 480i, they won't look so hot when they are scaled to a HDTV's native resolution.

Developers typically underscan their games to compensate for the overscan present in most TVs. Why waste processing power on an image 99% of the users can't see? If you see a black bar around the edge of the image, it's most likely because your TV has a very low overscan.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the black bars are only on the sides, if I recall correctly.

Guess I'll just play PS2 games on my CRT then. That's a bummer.

EDIT:

Actually, I have my PS2 plugged directly into my TV, and not my receiver. My receiver is supposed to upscale, would it look better if I plugged it into my receiver?

My receiver is a JVC RX-D702b.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Comparing the quality of a TV's & a receiver's upscaler is best left to discussions in the Home Theater section threads.

From what I've heard of Panasonic TVs, and what I know of JVC's wimpy, ordinary receivers (no idea if your model is higher end) - I would trust the TV to do a MUCH better scaling job!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/0

Maybe I got spoiled by my PS3, but when I tried to play a PS2 game on my PS2, the graphics seemed really bad. On a standard TV, I didn't notice any problem. It looked nice.

But, I noticed that the picture doesn't fill the entire frame of the TV (changed the aspect and even tried Zoom, and that didn't seem to work).

Is that normal? I think this was the first attempt at playing a PS2 game since I got my new TV.

While I don't think the graphics look bad (I'm using the PS2 component cables), the image doesn't fill up the entire screen. The PS2 is underscanning. Very annoying. That's the only complaint I have about owning an HDTV.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 /forum/post/0

While I don't think the graphics look bad (I'm using the PS2 component cables), the image doesn't fill up the entire screen. The PS2 is underscanning. Very annoying. That's the only complaint I have about owning an HDTV.

It's entirely possible I was sitting too close to the TV. I don't have a controller cable extender, so I need to sit closer.

But, the graphics were much worse than I remember it. But, I hadn't touched the PS2 since December and it was on a CRT, and have been playing the PS3 since January 1st. Maybe I'm just too used to the PS3? Or my 42"?

In any case, I remember playing the game on my CRT and thinking that the graphics were pretty good. But, after playing it on the 42", my eyes wanted to vomit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.