AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im from the UK and have a PAL PS2 slim.

Basically i was using an RGB Scart lead for ps2 until recently buying a 3 in one component cable for my PS2 (lead can also be used for 360/Wii/PS3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My question is although the picture is sharper i can see vertical lines on the screen during gameplay especially when performing fast actions (For example when i was playing onimusha 2 in 60hz).

should i get another component cable: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStatio...&ob=Price&fb=0

rather than the multi purpose component in the first link, is it a pal component cable issue on HDTV's?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Can you elaborate on "i can see horizontal lines on the screen during gameplay" or provide a screenshot? This sounds like it may be screen tearing? You can google for example images or YouTubes of this to compare to what you are seeing.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Those no-name cables, especially the switched multi-system ones like what you bought, tend to pass very poor quality signals. I don't know what you have available over there, but if you can get your hands on a decent name-brand cable set like Sony, or Monster, that should help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/17016446

Can you elaborate on "i can see horizontal lines on the screen during gameplay" or provide a screenshot? This sounds like it may be screen tearing? You can google for example images or YouTubes of this to compare to what you are seeing.

iits def' not screen tearing, its vertical lines that run through the game and is easily noticible. sorry about that confusion

thinking about buying a ps3 only component cable to see if that'll rectify the problem but im not sure yet

also when i play my wii games through its component cable with the component box i have no issues, so maybe it was the ps2/ps3/360/wii component cable i was using linked above?

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17016469

Those no-name cables, especially the switched multi-system ones like what you bought, tend to pass very poor quality signals. I don't know what you have available over there, but if you can get your hands on a decent name-brand cable set like Sony, or Monster, that should help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhavoc /forum/post/17016501

thinking about buying a ps3 only component cable to see if that'll rectify the problem but im not sure yet

FWIW... I have used PLENTY of no-name cables with no issue. To that end, I still use my 4-in-1 (or whatever it is) component cable which I purchased off of eBay which has the THINNEST cabling I've ever seen and it works fine. It's at least a year old now too and been through a move.

That said, cables are relatively cheap to replace (even if you are buying name brand except for Monster) so it's worth a shot. If that does not rectify the situation you may have a problem with your PS2 itself or the TV.

Oh wait a minute... I just thought of something... you said you are using a 3-in-1 cable. Do you have anything else connected to the 3-in-1 besides the PS2? That might sound like a dumb question but with some of these cables there are video problems if you have more than one device connected even if the other devices are turned off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/17016612

FWIW... I have used PLENTY of no-name cables with no issue. To that end, I still use my 4-in-1 (or whatever it is) component cable which I purchased off of eBay which has the THINNEST cabling I've ever seen and it works fine. It's at least a year old now too and been through a move.

That said, cables are relatively cheap to replace (even if you are buying name brand except for Monster) so it's worth a shot. If that does not rectify the situation you may have a problem with your PS2 itself or the TV.

Oh wait a minute... I just thought of something... you said you are using a 3-in-1 cable. Do you have anything else connected to the 3-in-1 besides the PS2? That might sound like a dumb question but with some of these cables there are video problems if you have more than one device connected even if the other devices are turned off.

no i dont use the other cables in the 3-1 cable, i only use it for the ps2 to connect into the component box. and yeah i never used to have this problem when i used to use component on my 360 through the same hdtv or currently my wii. My ps2 slim isnt broken or anything either. thats why i was thinking maybe its a cable issue. Also the PS2 options is set to component and on 16:9 although technically my hdtv is 16:10 which i dont think is true widescreen but its fine for my 360/ps3 and wii uses (no borders).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Progressive vs 60 hz vs 50 hz

im from the UK and have a PAL PS2 slim.

Basically i was using an RGB Scart lead for ps2 until recently buying a 3 in one component cable for my PS2 (lead can also be used for 360/Wii/PS3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My question is although the picture is sharper i can see vertical lines on the screen during gameplay especially when performing fast actions (For example when i was playing onimusha 2 in 60hz).

should i get another component cable: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStatio...&ob=Price&fb=0
rather than the multi purpose component in the first link, is it a pal component cable issue on HDTV's?

thanks for any help.
I have the same problem with my no name ps2 component cabel. But it only occur when running a game in progressive scan or in 60 Hz. 50 Hz works fine. Im starting to think it is the cabel. 60 Hz looks fine using scart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts