1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/20/s...g-back-to-ps3/

Quote:
Cling to that Cell-based PlayStation 2 emulator patent all you want, but Sony director of hardware marketing John Koller has some disparaging words for those wanting Shadow the Colossus to one day work one the latest hardware. PS2 backwards compatibility "is not coming back, so let me put that on the table," he told Ars Technica, soon after reaffirming, "that won't be returning." Apparently people have been buying the PS3 not for PS2 titles but for the newest games and Blu-ray movies -- and given PS2's continued dominance in sales, presumably to play those last-gen games, we don't doubt it. Seeing such a feature standard in all other consoles out there, including the first two iterations of this one, we can't help but feel burned. Still, it was less than two months ago when Sony's mantra was no PS3 price cuts, and funny enough, that's more or less what happened. So if Koller wants to go back on his word and offer PS2 compatibility further down the line, hey, we'll forgive him.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
That's great news! Now everybody can stop asking about it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Meh, and they denied all price drops, the slim, the psp2000, the pspGo, in-game XMB...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Exactly. Sony want to move stock. They're not going to say anything that will cause a buyer to wait.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
*holds the door open for all the trolls*

·
Registered
66 Posts
how much is a new ps2 these days $25 S&H with 2 cheerios box tops?

oh well, tonight the nerds will revolt...

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17037032

*holds the door open for all the trolls*

Thanks.

*ahem*

BC is not coming back, folks. There's no motivation at all for Sony to re-introduce it. None. In fact, they have more reasons not to reintroduce it. Here's a quote from myself from another thread where I blow even more hot air:
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/0

A few things against the possibility of BC:

1) Sony's gotten even clearer and firmer in their statements against possible BC functionality, much more than they ever were about denying the Slim.

2) This gen has proved--across all platforms--that old games are profitable. They're not going to just "give them away" anymore.

3) The vast majority of people who care about PS2 BC already have a PS3. The rest will be content with a few "greatest hits" released for download (the big guys like FFX, XII, MGS 2/3, and so on).

4) Publishers would not be happy since the only company to profit from BC would be Gamestop (which notably does not sell PS1 games which still work with all PS3's). By the time Gamestop stops carrying PS2 games, we'll be into the next generation of consoles, so it won't matter. Sony's already alienated more than a few devs and publishers this generation, so it wouldn't be smart to do something more to piss them off.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are what I can think of. I don't think Sony's being coy about BC. They don't stand to gain a thing from reintroducing it, but do stand to lose money and business relationships. If PS2 BC does reappear, it will be in the PS4 and/or via download only.

And that's that.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
And one big reason to add it: To sell the PS2 backcatalog to 25 million potential customers via the PSN.

Selling back catalog titles requires virtually investment for a very good return. Something any major company would be interested in, in this economic climate.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The Xbox Originals service has largely been a failure and has been discontinued, and PSOne releases have been just a trickle on PSN. Even Nintendo has switched to giving WiiWare original releases a priority, we're seeing quite a few weeks of late where we're not even getting 1 Virtual Console release after earlier days of getting 2-3 every Monday.

Doesn't appear to be much of a goldmine to me. The potential customer base for PS2 titles largely has a PS2 to be able to play them on and can buy disc based games.

Everyone got excited about that Emotion Engine emulation patent, but conveniently forgot that the EE was already emulated on many PS3's and wasn't the roadblock to fully emulating the PS2. I tend to believe Sony, if they were interested in full software based emulation of the PS2, they'd of done it by now.

Still, I disagree that it would be a poor decision to impliment it. Publishers and developers would love it thanks to the increased install base you can suddenly sell your new PS2 titles to, and rereleases of older titles on disc and as downloads. The people buying beat up $5 PS2 titles at GameStop aren't the ones that your going to be selling your latest $60 PS3 game to, so I can't see it angering any publisher since it clearly wouldn't be cannibalizing your sales at all. Might even convince a few people to make the jump to owning a PS3 knowing they won't be missing out on their PS2 gaming, giving PS3 publishers another potential customer.

It would just open up more customers to sell your older rereleased content to and whatever new development your still offerring to the PS2 legacy platform. Would open up PS2 sales to such people as AVS users, who might on a whim go and download something like Ico thanks to fond memories of playing it several years back, who don't own or have a PS2 hooked up and don't want to go rummaging through piles of junk at a GameStop to find a used copy. Also opens up your customer base to sell new games like Motorstorm: Arctic Edge to, who might be curious about new PS2 releases but doesn't want to keep a PS2 around for just the occasional game.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
This fellow writes for a living so I should not be surprised how well he covers this topic:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...he-land-grab_2

Quote:
Sony, too, has been forced into errors by the need to focus on price - such as the decision to save a few dollars on each console by dropping hardware backwards compatibility with PS2 games, despite the presumed failure of the firm's attempts at creating an alternative software solution. Watching Sony now attempt to claim that nobody is really interested in PS2 backwards compatibility - while with the other side of its face, breathlessly announcing exciting new PS1 games on the PlayStation Network - is beginning to look like a slightly farcical comedy sketch, although most consumers probably aren't laughing much.

Personally I do not use my BC anymore. I did though. I replayed many games over the first year I owned the system. It was great to go back to the PS2 RPG catalog and replay those games. My PS3 did a pretty solid job of making them look better than the PS2 did on my Plasma.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/17037518

The Xbox Originals service has largely been a failure and has been discontinued, and PSOne releases have been just a trickle on PSN.

Not true. MS now has an even bigger Games on Demand service. And Sony's recent additions to PSN of old PS1 games have sold very well because they've decided to be very selective from here on out (FF7, RE games, MGS1). I expect they'll do something similar for PS2 titles by only releasing the for-sure big sellers on PSN.

Quote:
Publishers and developers would love it thanks to the increased install base you can suddenly sell your new PS2 titles to, and rereleases of older titles on disc and as downloads.

No they wouldn't. The overwhelming majority of disc-based PS2 games being sold now are used. Publishers see nothing from that. And very few new PS2 games are being released from here on out. This is probably the last holiday season for relatively big PS2 releases. The absence of BC combined with the major PS3 price drop mean that the PS2's catalog is pretty much dead after 2009.

Quote:
It would just open up more customers to sell your older rereleased content to and whatever new development your still offerring to the PS2 legacy platform. Would open up PS2 sales to such people as AVS users, who might on a whim go and download something like Ico thanks to fond memories of playing it several years back

Which is what PSN releases are perfect for. Selective releases of important (and potentially huge selling) back-catalog titles.

Incidentally, if any of you are interested in PS2 games, now's probably the time to pick them up. As an avid player of PS2 titles, I'm constantly watching prices and availability. Gamestop's floor space for PS2 titles has decreased dramatically this year. Prices on many games older than a year have risen on places like Amazon (which means they're moving into collector territory). They're not approaching PS1 prices just yet, but they're inching in that direction.

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/17037506

And one big reason to add it: To sell the PS2 backcatalog to 25 million potential customers via the PSN.

Selling back catalog titles requires virtually investment for a very good return. Something any major company would be interested in, in this economic climate.

Not Sony, that is why Blu-ray is doing so poorly. DVD still dominates the market, they need to lower prices on discs and players. Just because HD DVD lost the "format battle", does not mean the war is over. DVD is still what, 90% of the market? If Blu-ray was only a couple of dollars more than a DVD they might have a chance.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Blu-ray isn't doing poorly at all

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ /forum/post/17040390

Blu-ray isn't doing poorly at all

But a price-cut would surely be welcomed. I'm still looking to get Band of Brothers in BD.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Blu-Ray is selling better than DVD was at a similar point in its lifetime. Keep in mind, DVD was the biggest consumer electronics success in decades. Maybe ever. So to say that Blu-Ray hasn't made a big dent in the biggest thing ever is kind of not putting things into perspective.

As for BC... Leo Ames is quite right. Nobody cared about Xbox Originals, and the Game on Demand service that exists now is similar to what Sony has been doing since Warhawk. At this stage in the game, I really doubt Sony is expending signficant resources to get BC onto PS3. Sure God of War and FF12 and whatever would sell, but its all about the cost-benefit analysis. Who knows what it would say. My guess is, anybody working on it right now is working on it for PS4.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Price cuts are always nice for the consumer but, in the scheme of things, Blu-ray is doing very well at this point in its life cycle.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I had always figured that when the PS3 lost the ability to play PS2 discs it would never return.

All bets are off for PSN downloads of PS2 games, because I think we all know it's coming. All media companies search for ways to sell you the same thing twice, and this is the way console games will do it.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/17040468

Blu-Ray is selling better than DVD was at a similar point in its lifetime. Keep in mind, DVD was the biggest consumer electronics success in decades. Maybe ever. So to say that Blu-Ray hasn't made a big dent in the biggest thing ever is kind of not putting things into perspective.

As for BC... Leo Ames is quite right. Nobody cared about Xbox Originals, and the Game on Demand service that exists now is similar to what Sony has been doing since Warhawk. At this stage in the game, I really doubt Sony is expending signficant resources to get BC onto PS3. Sure God of War and FF12 and whatever would sell, but its all about the cost-benefit analysis. Who knows what it would say. My guess is, anybody working on it right now is working on it for PS4.

*gasp* PS4 confirmed! Someone go create a thread with the title "Be honest...."

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/17040234

Not true. MS now has an even bigger Games on Demand service. And Sony's recent additions to PSN of old PS1 games have sold very well because they've decided to be very selective from here on out (FF7, RE games, MGS1). I expect they'll do something similar for PS2 titles by only releasing the for-sure big sellers on PSN.

Nope, what I said about Xbox Originals is true. The line has been discontinued due to poor sales, there's going to be 1 more title released for a finale and then that's it for original Xbox rereleases. Despite being tossed into the same category 360 download releases are with the latest update, what your talking about isn't the same thing. We're talking about support for legacy systems on current generation platforms, not selling 360 games on a 360 by download, which Xbox Games on Demand will be besides the currently available selection of Xbox titles which will remain up for purchase.

And they've actually decided to be less selective with PSN releases, which is why we're seeing increases in releases from some publishers like Capcom. Up until now, its been a disappointment because very little content has been allowed to be released in the North American marketplace, and its been a struggle for publishers to get games approved for release. Hopefully things have picked up sales wise since they adjusted their policies to give more freedom to publishers, but its hardly a sign of success and being something that they'd obviousily want to do with PS2 releases. Not that I don't think it could succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/17040234

No they wouldn't. The overwhelming majority of disc-based PS2 games being sold now are used. Publishers see nothing from that. And very few new PS2 games are being released from here on out. This is probably the last holiday season for relatively big PS2 releases. The absence of BC combined with the major PS3 price drop mean that the PS2's catalog is pretty much dead after 2009.

Yes, they would. Publishers are still actively rereleasing content, Fatal Frame 3 just got another reprint again just recently for example. And there's still ongoing development. If they could expand that by all PS3 users being able to play PS2 content, would just open up the userbase you could sell to and open up opportunities for selling downloadable versions of your PS2 titles.

I stand by what I said, the people walking out of GameStop with a $5 used PS2 release are largely not the people that would be buying the latest PS3 release. As a result, used PS2 game sales aren't taking away potential PS3 game sales. But by expanding the amount of hardware with PS2 compatibility, it could open up room for selling a bit more PS2 content with your new releases and reprints of older titles (Which by the way, GameStop strips and sells as used, continuing a odd policy from a few years ago with PSOne reprints) with a negligible impact on PS3 sales. Might even get some of your customer base to switch to downloads rather than used games for the small percentage of PS3 owners that still heavily play the PS2.

And I highly doubt the PS3 price drop will affect PS2 sales. Someone out looking for a game console that is considering a PS2 isn't going to be swayed by a price drop of the PS3 to $300, it's still $200 more than a PS2 and isn't anywhere close to the pricing level where a consumer just out for a game console could consider it a substitute of similar value.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts