AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the next category of PSN games to be offered is coming down the pike. Classic PS2 games that aren't quite ripe for a full HD remake are being released in Japan soon . I'd say it is a matter of time before we see an announcement on this side of the Pacific too:
Quote:
Sony will be expanding its "Game Archives" retro download service to include PlayStation 2 games shortly. The PlayStation 2 Archives service will begin on July 25 with five PlayStation 2 titles available for download to your PlayStation 3:

Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Capcom): ¥1,200

Kessen (Tecmo Koei): ¥1,500

Shin Contra (aka "Contra: Shattered Soldier," Konami): ¥1,200

Dragon Force (Sega): ¥800

Siren (Sony): ¥1,200

The lineup will be gradually expanded following the July 25 launch date, Sony said. New releases will appear once a month.

Future titles include:

Dead or Alive 2 Hard Core (Tecmo Koei): ¥1,500

Castlevania (Konami): ¥1,200

Dynamite Dekka (aka Die-Hard Arcade, Sega): ¥800

Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (Sega): ¥800

Dark Cloud (Sony): ¥1,200

The Game Archives service currently includes first generation PlayStation Games and, to a lesser extent, PC Engine/TurboGrafx games. The service has over 700 titles at present, playable on PSP and PS3. The PS2 downloads will be playable exclusively on PS3.

Of all the non-HD-remake PS2 games that I've wanted to be re-released, Contra: Shattered Soldier was near the top of the list. I'm jazzed that it is one of the first Japanese PSN titles because there's a chance we'll see it over here as well.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I'm confused. Sony already started releasing non-HD PS2 Classics on PSN last year. We got things like God Hand, BloodRayne, and Maximo. Is this something different?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I never really noticed them since they aren't on my personal list of wanted titles. I got excited seeing Contra, but I suppose this whole PS2 dload thing might all be new to Japan.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1418601/ps2-game-downloads-on-the-ps3#post_22188336

I guess I never really noticed them since they aren't on my personal list of wanted titles. I got excited seeing Contra, but I suppose this whole PS2 dload thing might all be new to Japan.
Ha. No sweat. It isn't just you. I saw this "news" pop up on a bunch of gaming sites, too. Seems like everyone forgot it already existed.

I was just wondering if you knew if this was different in some way from what we already got. Or if it was just a collective brain fart on the part of the gaming press.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts