AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By widescreen displays, I also refer to products like the Wega which have vertical compression.

Some HDTV owners report "distortion" when playing back DVDs or games. Could this be due to some sets line-doubling the source?

They could be referring to jaggies when they talk about "distortion." PS2 games are suppose to output 640x240 interlaced frames. Perhaps on a projected display, all the shortcomings of the graphics are more pronounced.

What about PS2 games with widescreen modes? How to they fare on 16:9 displays or 4:3 displays with 16:9 modes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Buy a X-Box on Nov. 8th and you will feel better about yourself, promise.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would say its pretty good.

ssx on my mits 55 widescreen makes my girlfriend nauseous. my dreamcast thru the vga converter looks sharper, but I have to admit that the ps2 graphics are more "detailed". The problem here is that the ps2 has the potential to be freakin awesome, but its seriously hampered by the interlace only connection. As it is though the s-video connection looks fine. Ive tried the component vs s-video and the I didn't see a substantial improvement in quality to deal with the hassle of switching my only available component inputs with my prog dvd player.

Dollar for dollar, the dreamcast still has the most bang for the buck. The vga option is the only way to go if you own a hd set. Good ole soul calibur is enough to floor most people when they see it for the first time. Its actually embarassing to see rear projection monitors at the arcades using 480i, what a joke.

I woudln't run out and get a ps2 right now though if you're looking for a good source for your hd set. The dreamcast + vga is the still the sh1t. The killer apps for the ps2 keeps getting pushed back. My preorer for gt3 is pushed back to July now.

K

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the PS2 needs some work to get better.

But from what I have heard from many that have been to

the NY Convention, the people thought XBox was a disappointment. It is nothing more than a console that will come out with games that are already out for the PC.

One thing PS console is known for... the games.

[I made the same mistake a few years ago because the

N64 console was more advance [graphics/CPU] than the PS1.

But the games were bad or not available.... not something I

want to repeat.]

The hardware could be good, but if the games are bad....

what is the point in the first place... right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.