AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

So I have the audio of my PS2 optically feeding to my Logitech Z5500 receiver. I am able to get stereo sound from the unit fine when watching movies, but when watching DVDs (and selecting Dolby Digital 5.1 from the DVD menu) the Z5500 will not go into DD mode. When selecting Dolby DTS, the receiver still will not go into DTS or DD mode. I'm at the end of my rope - anyone know why this isn't working? I don't even know if it's the receiver or the PS2 (since I have no other DD/DTS sources to test the receiver).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got my receiver in diagnostics mode, turns out the PS2 is outputting PCM stereo sound, even though I have the DVD set to Dolby Digital 5.1. I tried unplugging the L/R audio cables from my LCD (so only the y/pb/pr components are running to the LCD and the optical is running to the receiver) my receiver is still receiving PCM 2.1 stereo sound... I am thoroughly confused, and I know this is an issue with the PS2. Is there a way to fix this?!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Logitech Z5500 does accept Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 over optical and coax.

All you need to do is enable the PS2 to stream it out of the player. It's in one of the menus. Read the manual.

fuad

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh /forum/post/0

I don't believe the Z-5500's accept DD over optical, just Dolby Pro Logic II. At least in my experience.

I know for a fact the Z5500 does DD as well as DTS (and D PLII) over optical - it's one of the system's main features. Also I've used a PS3 playing blu-ray movies, DD works great over optical. Something is wrong with the PS2.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish people would read my thread before attempting to help - as I said, the PS2 IS outputting a stereo signal via the optical out port - this means the optical port IS enabled. It's one of the first things I checked before starting this thread.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 /forum/post/0

I wish people would read my thread before attempting to help - as I said, the PS2 IS outputting a stereo signal via the optical out port - this means the optical port IS enabled. It's one of the first things I checked before starting this thread.

To enable DD/DTS on the PS2, there is essentially two steps. One is enabling the optical digital out. Just by doing so, it will output LPCM 2.0 by default.

The second step is to enable Dolby Digital and DTS streaming. This is the step you missed.

fuad

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Page 35 of the manual. The PS2 menus are not as well designed as PS3s. So it may take a reboot and having a DVD inside the PS2 to get this feature to pop-up.

fuad

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:

I know for a fact the Z5500 does DD as well as DTS (and D PLII) over optical - it's one of the system's main features. Also I've used a PS3 playing blu-ray movies, DD works great over optical. Something is wrong with the PS2.

Right. But whenever I go to the optical input the only "effect" options are PLII movie, PLII music, stereo, and stereo x2. I've never known which one is supposed to enabled DD playback.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Quote:

Right. But whenever I go to the optical input the only "effect" options are PLII movie, PLII music, stereo, and stereo x2. I've never known which one is supposed to enabled DD playback.

For most PS2 games, they output only LPCM 2.0. Some output DTS streams. Some would ask if you want DPL II encoded LCPM 2.0.

As for DVDs with Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, you don't have to select anything but optical on the Logitech. Once the bitstream is identified, the Logitech controller unit will display Dolby Digital or DTS and play it back accordingly.

Like I said previously, the PS2 menu system is not well designed in this area. Just because you enable Optical Output doesn't mean that the PS2 is now streaming everything as it should be. Read the manual.

fuad

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Quote:

I figured it out. I would've appreciated it if you would have simply told me how to enable DD. Very few of us still have our manuals.

First of all, I don't have a PS2. But I've set it up TWICE using the Logitech Z5500 on two different occasions. So I remember the issues but I can't recall what I did to remedy the situation. However, a "Thank you" would've been nice to hear.

Secondly, since you figured it out, post your steps so that TwinTurboJosh can replicate it and fix his problem.

fuad

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:

Put in a DVD and hit play...use the PS2 remote and hit the "select" button to bring up the options icons.

Go to "settings" and select "audio" and you will see the option to enable Dolby Digital and DTS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.