AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got me a Samsung 50" DLP (HLN507W). I was wondering what gaming console would work best with the capabilities of my new TV.

Also, overall, which console is better?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Graphics wise Xbox, but see which platforms have the most games you are interested in.

Sports & racing games are best (overall) on Xbox in my opinion.

If you think that PS2 is the platform for you, do yourself a favor & rent the console to see how it looks on your TV. In my opinion, PS2 looks like crap on a widescreen TV so make sure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should also consider a Gamecube. Especially since the price is going to drop to $99.99 soon. An increasing amount of games are offering widescreen support and 480p, wayyy better in quality than the PS2.

Its right there next to Xbox in quality gaming with the DLP.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Figure out which games you want to play and then choose the console that offers the most of them to you.

Each person has different tastes and wants different things out of a gaming console. Pick the games first, then the console.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as I told a friend once: If the graphics are not good, then I will loathe the game. I guess I'm just a little shallow :)

So, XBox would look best on my DLP, yes?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
well, it's too bad then cause you'll be missing some great games by only basing your choices on the graphics.

Nevertheless, if graphics are important, then I think the Gamecube is just as good of a candidate as the XBOX is. Personally, I think Gamecube offers more great games to play, but again, that's just my personal preference. I think GC offers some of the best games found on any next gen system. With it soon going down to $99 and some of it's best games lowering in price by becoming Players Choice titles, you'd be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Xbox. 99% of the games support 480p or above (some do 720p and 1080i). Not that many GameCube games do 480p and none of them do more. Also, Xbox is DD 5.1 on sound, GC has some crappy pro logic II fake thing.

Most nintendo games are kind of kiddy and childish. But some adults like that sort of stuff (mostly women and kids who grew up loving nintendo). I have about 10 gaming buddies, none of them has ever even mentioned the word nintendo in like 10 years lol. :)

It's all what you like though, and hey, if you like nintendo, go for it. I don't mean any disrespect to any that do. Peace.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
If you think Nintendo games are "kiddie" you either:

1) have never played them or 2) are just eating all the marketing hype that Microsoft is spoonfeeding you.

Just because games can be enjoyed by all ages doesn't mean that games are "kiddie"

Most Nintendo games are in fact 480p, so there's no need to worry about that. And, many of those games that are in Pro Logic 2 can easily hold their own against 5.1. Of course 5.1 sound is better, but only if it's done well. Just because something is in 5.1 doesn't mean it's going to sound great. Nintendo has made many of their games take good use of the Pro Logic 2 algorithm and they can really hold their own quite well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Most GC games are not 480p. There are hundreds of GC games approximately about 45 of which are 480p and only 11 of which can do 16:9. Alternatively, all Xbox games other than about 5 can do 480p.

And yes, nintendo games have a childish aura, which has nothing to do with anything other than my own observations. It sounds like that stigma personally upsets you. However, it is true, whether you admit it or not.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by awilki01
Well, as I told a friend once: If the graphics are not good, then I will loathe the game. I guess I'm just a little shallow :)

So, XBox would look best on my DLP, yes?
Yes.

The Xbox will not disappoint, I promise:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you're looking for a console that you can use to really show off what video games can look like on your DLP, get an Xbox.

If you actually want to use that console to play games, get a PS2 or Gamecube. ;) For me, console gaming is firstly about games that I want to play. I wouldn't buy a console just to show off how good my tv is, I want to play games that will suck up all of my time.

It seems like you just want the console with the best graphics, your choice is quite easy then, Xbox all the way.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shpankey
Most GC games are not 480p. There are hundreds of GC games approximately about 45 of which are 480p and only 11 of which can do 16:9. Alternatively, all Xbox games other than about 5 can do 480p.

And yes, nintendo games have a childish aura, which has nothing to do with anything other than my own observations. It sounds like that stigma personally upsets you. However, it is true, whether you admit it or not.
See, you're not reading my post then. I said, MOST NINTENDO games, not most Gamecube games are in 480p. There is a big difference. Also, while most XBOX games do support 480p, there are also just as few as GC that support 16:9.

Again, you're confusing the notion that if a game is rated for EVERYONE then it means it's for kids. That' simply not true. Games like Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario Sunshine, and F-Zero are some of the best games offered on any console. I would hardly consider them to be directly aimed at kids as many of them(especially F-Zero) are very difficult. Nevertheless the games can be enjoyed by audiences of all ages.

What upsets me is that I see a company like Nintendo (which makes good quality games that can appeal to everyone) struggling at the moment because a company like Microsoft keeps marketing to everyone that GC is only for kids and everyone seems to be eating it up.

I own all 3 consoles and the GC is BY FAR the most played system of them all. I never owned a Nintendo console before this, so it's not as though I have this big Nintendo nostalgia biased perspective. I think GC just has many MANY more quality exclusive titles on it than the XBOX. I still own an XBOX because it does have some good games, but I think GC has way more great games. Of course I don't expect to change anyone's mind that Nintendo is better because this is just my own personal opinion from the games that I enjoy most.

I completely understand if you like XBOX better than GC because you just don't care for the games offered on the GC. But, to use an argument like, "Nintendo is for kids" is just an ignorant statement and you're just regurgitating the BS that M$ is telling you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geez! I should have known this thread would have started a war :D

Don't get me wrong about the graphics....I'm an eye-candy person and love the graphics. And, with that said, I'm assuming X-Box has some great games like Halo. Gameplay, in reality, is more important than graphics to me - heck, I played EverQuest for 3.5 years and those graphics are less than stellar by today's comparisons, but if I can have both good gameplay and graphics with an X-Box, then......nuff said :D

And, Max's Dad.......I have to pay the TV off before I can buy ALL the consoles..... LOL!!

Any word of a new console coming out soon???

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Some of the best gameplay is on the GC. Zelda and metroid are some of the funnest games around. Also xbox may have the best graphics overall but I havn't seen an xbox game yet that looks better on HDTV then Metroid or F-zero.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by benchiu
If you're looking for a console that you can use to really show off what video games can look like on your DLP, get an Xbox.

If you actually want to use that console to play games, get a PS2 or Gamecube. ;) For me, console gaming is firstly about games that I want to play. I wouldn't buy a console just to show off how good my tv is, I want to play games that will suck up all of my time.

It seems like you just want the console with the best graphics, your choice is quite easy then, Xbox all the way.
Depends on your taste in games, as I said. I don't prefer Xbox for the graphics alone, I just dont care for Gamecube games (wanna buy mine?) or PS2 ****** graphics on my HDTV.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
But, to use an argument like, "Nintendo is for kids" is just an ignorant statement and you're just regurgitating the BS that M$ is telling you.
http://ssdforums.spongecenter.com/ph...smiles/lol.gif

dschroll, I'll leave out the kiddie refrence but they ONLY game I like on Game Cube is Rouge Leader. Metroid Prime looks nice but it is booooorring.

Seriously, it's about the games. You like what you like & vice-versa.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
See, you're not reading my post then. I said, MOST NINTENDO games, not most Gamecube games are in 480p. There is a big difference. Also, while most XBOX games do support 480p, there are also just as few as GC that support 16:9.

Again, you're confusing the notion that if a game is rated for EVERYONE then it means it's for kids. That' simply not true. Games like Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario Sunshine, and F-Zero are some of the best games offered on any console. I would hardly consider them to be directly aimed at kids as many of them(especially F-Zero) are very difficult. Nevertheless the games can be enjoyed by audiences of all ages.

What upsets me is that I see a company like Nintendo (which makes good quality games that can appeal to everyone) struggling at the moment because a company like Microsoft keeps marketing to everyone that GC is only for kids and everyone seems to be eating it up.

I own all 3 consoles and the GC is BY FAR the most played system of them all. I never owned a Nintendo console before this, so it's not as though I have this big Nintendo nostalgia biased perspective. I think GC just has many MANY more quality exclusive titles on it than the XBOX. I still own an XBOX because it does have some good games, but I think GC has way more great games. Of course I don't expect to change anyone's mind that Nintendo is better because this is just my own personal opinion from the games that I enjoy most.

I completely understand if you like XBOX better than GC because you just don't care for the games offered on the GC. But, to use an argument like, "Nintendo is for kids" is just an ignorant statement and you're just regurgitating the BS that M$ is telling you.
According to the two HD games databases:

26 Gamecube games support 16:9

86 Xbox games support 16:9

A quick look also shows most Nintendo games do not support 16:9, including their biggest licenses:

Animal Crossing

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Party 4

Mario Sunshine

Metroid Prime

Pikmin

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Wario World

Wave Race: Blue Storm

There are a few Nintendo published games that support 16:9. The only internal Nintendo developer thats released a 16:9 title is Silicon Knights (Eternal Darkness). Sega routinely develops their games for all three consoles in 16:9, so FZero and Monkey Ball 2 are both 16:9 "Nintendo" games.

It should be mentioned that while there are 86 16:9 games on XBox MS themselves do not support 16:9 !

Almost all of the big first party games are 4:3. (Oddly a MS launch title Azurik IS 16:9.. just Rallysport Challenge AFAIK since)

The 16:9 support for the two systems is really from the third parties, this explains why so many more are available for XBox. 3rd party support for the Gamecube has never been great. The NPD numbers for August for Gamecube came out last week: 6 of the top 10 were Nintendo first party titles. (worth mentioning the Xbox top 10 had only 2 MS first party games and overall outsold GC by 225K titles sold for the month)

16:9 support for both should improve in 2004. MS has stated they will continue to move more 1st party titles to 16:9 and have a few 720p coming out. 3rd party 16:9 support has always been good and should be unchanged in 2004.

Nintendo is using Sega for several games, and almost all Sega titles will be 16:9, I have not seen anything from Nintendo stating they plan to start doing anything in 16:9. There will probably be less third party titles in 2004 for GC though as sales are less than great. People buy Gamecubes to play Nintendo titles (According to sales charts) not 3rd party offerings.

I won't argue that the 'Cube is only for kids.. but really FZero had a monster marketing campaign, good graphics and game-play.. and sold poorly. Its going to be harder for Nintendo to invest in any titles directed at adults specifically when the two of the three they have done (Eternal Darkness and FZero) tanked commercially. Their kid-centric (but not always only for kids) titles sell much much better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
GC has some crappy pro logic II fake thing.
I find PL2 in GC games does an excellent job. What exactly is it faking? Are the seperate sounds I hear coming from each speaker fake? Please explain... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're ever thinking about going online and you have broadband the only choice is Xbox. I have a GC as well but never play it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.