AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying to use my PS2 as a DVD player tonight, it wouldn't play the DVD due to Parental Controls being set. The movie I was trying was Back to the Future, hardly a movie that would require any of this.

Why would I get this? And is there a way around the controls. I've tried all the common passcodes, and also the one that I always use for everything. None of them work. I've unplugged it to reset it, but that didn't do anything.

I'm also having a problem with my main DVD player, which is why I was using this in the first place. (see this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=304304 ) My son was playing a teen rated game earlier in the evening, so the games seem to be OK.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Press the SELECT button and enter the 4-digit number "7444" whenever the Parental Control display asks you for your password. The old password is deleted.

You will then be prompted to enter a new password, enter whatever number you want, something like 0000, or a number that is easy to remember. If you wish to turn it off, just set it to off and forget about passwords.

Jordan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There is always a back door into everything. Unfortunately, the hackers find them all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're not that sophisticated, yet. I give it another year or two.

I still haven't tried the code. Just been too busy. This weekend probably. Does the PS2 do DD? My DVD is still dead.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Look in your manual, my PS2 came preset with a code and locked out of anthing other than G movies. Once I calmed down and my wife retrived the instructions from the circular file (where any man would normally file them) I found the section where they told you how to change it.

Yes it will do dolby 5.1

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to show how long thought turns to action, I only today, 5 months later, tried the PS2 as a DVD player. And as they say in the help desk business, RTFM.

The funny thing is, I guessed once again at the passcode, one of my standard codes, and it worked! 7444 also works. And now my son knows all about it. So much for parental controls. (It occurs to me that I use the same code on the satellite rcvr, which I DON'T want him to use. I know he'll put 2+2 together. I'll have to change it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.